View Full Version : Water lubed Pump Bushing Info?

Hemicbx
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have a good diagram, sketch, or other details on how a Berk pump is converted to a Dominator-style water lubed rear bushing? Even a good description would be great. Are there any new seals or anything and are there any external indictors?
I have a JG that had been converted before I bought the boat. Before winter I've been opening up the ports and blowing air through there to force and residual water out. Tonight while I was doing this a heard air start blowing around inside the pump body in addition to our the other hole.
This is different that in the past. However, it seems to me that a water lubed bushing should have near unrestricted access to the pressure side of the bowl. Theefore, any air blown into the bushing area should easily be able to get to the impeller area.
Any info would be a huge help.
Hemicbx
York, PA

steelcomp
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Leave the seal out at the bushing, and leave out the big plug at the end of the sahft. Water will flow through the bushing with no problem. I put a little marine grease on the end of the shaft whan I assembled my pump, and two seasons later, there was still grease on the shaft. The air you're hearing is going through the oil reservoir inside the bowl, and I'm assuming is coming out the holes on the outside of the bowl that are normally plugged with 1/8" pipe plugs. Don't forget to re-install those plugs, either.

Cs19
10-31-2005, 06:00 PM
leave the seal in to keep sand out, remove the end cap.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
thats how its done;)

steelcomp
10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
leave the seal in to keep sand out, remove the end cap....I mean leave the seal in to keep the sand out...yeah, that's what I meant. :D :rolleyes:

Hemicbx
11-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I pull both plugs blow into one until all the water comes out the other. When I look up the nozzle, there's a cone shaped plug in there, solid - no holes.
I think the air I heard last night was going forward past the seal.
So whith no plug in the back, when you guys look in the nozzle you're seeing the end of the shaft?
Hemicbx

steelcomp
11-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Ten-four. You got it.

Hemicbx
11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info.
One more question: If there's a seal in the front of the bushing area, where is the water getting into the bushing from?