PDA

View Full Version : I really feel like a Jet Boater now

LynnsJet
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
I decided that a Project boat was not what I needed now so I sold my 75 Hawaiian to DelawareDave about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I needed a Turn Key boat because I wanted to go fast and make noise and not just bang around in my garage for a year or two first. I put out the word for what I was looking for and it didn't take long before I got a call from HammeDown about Sleekcraft76's boat that was For Sale. After talking to Mike (the owner/builder) and a few more conversations with Hammerdown I mailed a deposit to Mike and a couple of weeks ago I completed the deal and brought home a beautiful 1972 Sleekcraft with a big block chevy, B&M blower, Edelbrock carb's. It has a nice blue & white paintjob and a matching tandem axle trailer.
Nedless to say, having a Jet Boat in my garage wasn't enough to satify my need for speed. It really was a turn key boat and the three weeks I had it I didn't even do one thing to it, I just looked at it and waited. Finally today I took it to the Susquehanna River near Havre de Grace, MD and got it in the water. I found out that a lot of other people also thought it was a neat boat by all the comments I got along the way.
I backed it into the water and started it up and took off. I let it warm up a little and took it easy for a couple of minutes then I got it up on plane and it felt pretty good and then I NAILED IT - WOW, It was everything I wanted in a "mid life crisis speed boat" and more. The ride was exilerating (as you all know) and with the wind in my face and the incredible acceleration I was DOING IT.
The best part, next to the speed, was the SOUND of that motor. I had planned on buying a big block chevy (I am a chevy man) but I never counted on getting a BLOWER MOTOR. The sound of that engine with the loud exhaust, carb,s sucking air, and with the most incredible sound of all coming from that BIG SHINY BLOWER as I planted my foot all the way down on the throttle, well, that sound was way beyond description. It's no wonder so many guys have Jet Boats with blowers.
It might take a couple of days to wipe the smile off my face but in the mean time I can say that "I really feel like a Jet Boater now". It's a wonderful world.
Lynn

HammerDown
10-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Glad your having a good time with your new Hot Boat...I may be on the water tomorrow down in Havre DeGrace.

LynnsJet
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
I am having a good time thanks to your help. I am leaving for Houston and then Chicago so I won't be back in town til next Sunday.

Mrs.sleekcraft76
11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Glad to hear your enjoying her. She's great to ride and enjoy the speed. The only thing I ask is that you wear your lifejacket. We had so many friends come so close to an accident (including ourselves) and two dearest friends that got into a terriable accident (somebody was watching over them) by careless boaters (and jetskiers) out there. We don't want nothing to happen to you. On a happy note, hope to see you at the next Anna. I'll be truthful about, it will be a bittersweet reunion. It'll be great to see you in the sleekcraft riding her into the wind but teary to see our old boat. I wouldn't want anybody else to have her. I know you'll take great care of her and she'll take good care of you. You drive safe on the road and in the waters. If you need anything, you know our number.
Jamie

Lady Warhawk
11-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Lynn, glad you're enjoying the boat. Mike, AND Jamie put a lot of work, and time into that boat. It shows too. Look forward to seeing you in it at Anna.

LynnsJet
11-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. There are a lot of good people with Jetboats and I will enjoy meeting a lot more of them. You can count of seeing me at Lake Anna next year and at a lot of other rivers and lakes on the east coast. :)

wowchad
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of jet boats :D
Check out BANDERLOG (http://www.banderlog.com) for a great group of very informed jet boaters!