PDA

View Full Version : Total boat weight

Unchained
11-01-2005, 08:14 AM
I weighed my boat before I transferred it to the dolly trailer for winter storage and got a lot more than I expected.
1940# ready to run with about 5 gallons of gas and no loose gear.
Who has weighed their boat accurately and has some numbers to post ?
I weighed the bare hull a couple years ago and subtracted for every last nut and bolt including the pump intake and got 640#. I'm amazed that the rest of the parts added up to that much and I've got an aluminum block too.

Cs19
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
damn, thats no lightweight.
check your pms for my total weight in race trim..

canuck1
11-01-2005, 08:58 AM
1940# including the trailer, 35 gal fuel and all the weekend shite

BUSBY
11-01-2005, 09:31 AM
damn, thats no lightweight.
check your pms for my total weight in race trim..
Common Chris ... inquiring minds want to know ... :D

Rampager
11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I'd love to know what mine weighs but might be better off not knowing since we end up pushing the damn thing so much! LOL
Had a nother wacky adventure yesterday and at one point had the boat sitting a$$ high leaning on its side right sponson clean out of the water. On a positive note 2x2 aluminum tubes are GREAT fopr pushing a jetboat!
Cheers
(p.s mental note: don't run shallow rivers with over 50 gal of fuel onboard)

Squirtin Thunder
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd love to know what mine weighs but might be better off not knowing since we end up pushing the damn thing so much! LOL
Had a nother wacky adventure yesterday and at one point had the boat sitting a$$ high leaning on its side right sponson clean out of the water. On a positive note 2x2 aluminum tubes are GREAT fopr pushing a jetboat!
Cheers
(p.s mental note: don't run shallow rivers with over 50 gal of fuel onboard)
You need to take pics of this stuff !!!
And Share them !!!

Aluminum Squirt
11-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Unchained, I'm guessing with that nasty TT motor it wouldn't really matter if your sled weighed 3,000, you'd still smoke most anybody-Aluminum Squirt

Duane HTP
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Unchained, I added up all of your gear as near as I can, and come up with about 1720 lbs. However, you may have some things in there I don't know about. I'm going to be in you neck of the woods Wednesday delivering a new boat. Only problem is, that I'm going to be on the other side of the lake again. I'd sure like to get by and see you and your shop sometime.

Cs19
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Common Chris ... inquiring minds want to know ... :D
Not a chance..
You fondled my boat last race, do the math. Iron block with alum heads and tunnel ram. Medium weight boat, Jetdrive with all the BS, river boat rigging, no trick lightweight installation by any means.

Cs19
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Unchained, I added up all of your gear as near as I can, and come up with about 1720 lbs. .
I was thinking about this all day today, and actually just got off the phone with a buddy and we were just talking about this about an hour ago. I was saying the same thing, it just didnt add up.What does the engine weigh wet? If you had that number we could make the call wether those numbers are bogus or not.

BUSBY
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
You fondled my boat last race, do the math.
hey ... that was consensual between the boat and me ... there was no unwanted "fondling" ... :D

Unchained
11-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Unchained, I added up all of your gear as near as I can, and come up with about 1720 lbs. However, you may have some things in there I don't know about. I'm going to be in you neck of the woods Wednesday delivering a new boat. Only problem is, that I'm going to be on the other side of the lake again. I'd sure like to get by and see you and your shop sometime.
Duane,
You and Barbera are welcome to come over and stay at our house if you want to make the drive around the lake. We're about 2 1/2 hours from the south end of Lake Michigan. We've got plenty of room for guests here.
Mark

Unchained
11-02-2005, 08:01 AM
I reweighed the boat and the original weight is accurate at 1940#
I guess I'll pull the engine and weigh that next.
I guess now I know why it takes so much HP to push this through the water.
On a positive note this hull has held up real well considering the hrs I put on it and the large waves I bashed with it.
I don't know where I could remove significant weight from.
The two seats with the aluminum bases are 25# each.
I've got two stainless gas tanks that are 8 gal capacity each.
I'll weigh the turbos and wastegates.
Anyone else have any accurate weights to compare ?

Bajajet
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Here the way I weighed my mostly stock BBF 466. Scale (http://www.ats-inc.net/bajajet/bajapics/scale/)
I weighed the boat ready to run w/ full tank cooler, anchor,etc 2280 lbs at the time. It's a 1975 Baja V-1800J. It would be interesting to see how much your aluminum engine would weigh in.

Squirtin Thunder
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
706 is lighter than I even thought. How much head porting and flash removale ???

Bajajet
11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
It was 746 lbs. In the pic of the meter, I didn't have all the components hanging yet. Quite a chunk sitting in the back of a boat!

Squirtin Thunder
11-02-2005, 02:30 PM
706 is lighter than I even thought. How much head porting and flash removale ???
It was 746 lbs. In the pic of the meter, I didn't have all the components hanging yet. Quite a chunk sitting in the back of a boat!
I thought that was with the cast iron intake ??? Then minus 40lbs for the Stealth.

Bajajet
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
yes you are right. Been a couple of years since I did that. I did weigh the SCJ intake and it was around 65 pounds or so. Those heads were not worked over either. Just a little clean up.

Unchained
11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
I weighed some components.
Stainless turbo headers......13# each
Garrett turbo with wastegate and tailpipes on the turbo and wastegate........51# each
The only other thing on the engine that would make it heavier than a N/A engine would be the intercooler box with the throttle bodies. I'll weigh that later, it's probably about 20#
What do Bassett headers with mufflers weigh for comparison ?

Heatseeker
11-07-2005, 08:41 AM
My Bassetts(standards w/short collectors) weighed 58 lbs. w/o the baffles(including packaging) when I shipped them off.

Cs19
11-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Unchained, just weigh the whole engine complete with oil and everything, it would be interesting to see where you are at.

steelcomp
11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
I weighed my boat before I transferred it to the dolly trailer for winter storage and got a lot more than I expected.
1940# ready to run with about 5 gallons of gas and no loose gear.
Who has weighed their boat accurately and has some numbers to post ?
I weighed the bare hull a couple years ago and subtracted for every last nut and bolt including the pump intake and got 640#. I'm amazed that the rest of the parts added up to that much and I've got an aluminum block too.
You sure it's not 1490??
Engine/pump, even at 800lbs, 600 lb hull, 100 lbs of misc. Where is there another 400 lbs??

sanger rat
11-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Mark don't forget the 100# of electronics you got on that boat. :D And you got more briaded lines and wiring than I've ever seen on a boat.

jweeks123
11-13-2005, 10:56 PM
You sure it's not 1490??
Engine/pump, even at 800lbs, 600 lb hull, 100 lbs of misc. Where is there another 400 lbs??look closer steel.
eng=900+
jet complete=120+
hull=600+
tanks,steering,rigging,seats,etc=200+
where's the other 100? probably in those plus signs
certainly an awesome looking machine
jw