PDA

View Full Version : Wireless laptop help.

FASTERDAMITT
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
I bought a Toshiba wireless laptop a few weeks ago. When i started it I set up my home wireless connection and works great every time. The problem I need help with is on the road. Anytime I try to connect in a different area I show good connectivity but it does not work. I cannot get on the internet access.

mickeyfinn
11-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Assuming you are using XP. If you are talking about hotel connections or other unsecured connections you may need to do the following:
1st open your network connections and select properties under the wireless connection. Click the show icon when connected checkbox.
2nd double click on the wireless connection (view available networks) click on the network you wish to connect to and select connect. If it is an unsecured network you may have to tell the computer it is okay to connect to an unsecured network.
This should get you connected.
oh yeah, don't know how you do it at home but if you are using a static IP address on your laptop you will need to go to you TCPIP properties and select the selection that allows you to get your IP address dynamically.
Hope this works.

FASTERDAMITT
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Assuming you are using XP. If you are talking about hotel connections or other unsecured connections you may need to do the following:
1st open your network connections and select properties under the wireless connection. Click the show icon when connected checkbox.
2nd double click on the wireless connection (view available networks) click on the network you wish to connect to and select connect. If it is an unsecured network you may have to tell the computer it is okay to connect to an unsecured network.
oh yeah, don't know how you do it at home but if you are using a static IP address on your laptop you will need to go to you TCPIP properties and select the selection that allows you to get your IP address dynamically.
Hope this works.
Thanks for replying. I did as described in 1 and 2. The wireless network says I'm connected but, I can't bring any sites up in internet explorer. I get the basic error page.
On the TCPIP the box is checked under properties tab. Are you saying it should not be, therefore it will not connect automatically when I start the computor?

H2OT TIMES
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Hope this works.
Also when you bring up the list of available wireless networks, if it says secure you need to have a pass word/code. Most Hotels will give it to you when you check in. If they forget to mention it call and ask for it.

NorCal Gameshow
11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks for replying. I did as described in 1 and 2. The wireless network says I'm connected but, I can't bring any sites up in internet explorer. I get the basic error page.
On the TCPIP the box is checked under properties tab. Are you saying it should not be, therefore it will not connect automatically when I start the computor?
there is a properties button on the TCP/IP page, click on that to see if the "obtain an IP address automatically" box is checked.
To configure TCP/IP for dynamic addressing
Open Network Connections.
Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
Click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.