PDA

View Full Version : Pfaff, Teague, etc......

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
So, if one was to build a new boat, and wanted to go with something a little more exotic than the Merc lineup, what would those of you in the know recommend? The boat would be 27-29 feet, and a vee bottom, power would most likely be less than 800 horse, probably even along the lines of 600 horse. What might one expect to pay? What kind of a credit do the builders issue when deleting stock 496mag power?

INSman
11-02-2005, 07:32 PM
I think that Ilmor MV10/625 with a Teague Platinum XR is a tough combo to beat !!
Gary Taylor has a BEAUTIFUL 700 !!!!! :D

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 07:35 PM
I think that Ilmor MV10/625 with a Teague Platinum XR is a tough combo to beat !!
What kind of $$$$$ ?

INSman
11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
What kind of $$$$$ ?
Not quite sure, but you could start by calling Teague and getting a quote for both including the full rigging kit, transom assemblies, gimbal, etc...
Then use that info to work a deal with your builder who may have more leverage or buying power with Teague to get you a better "package" price overall. What kind of boat are you looking at (PM is fine) ??

superdave013
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Kinda far but I like the warrenty that comes with an engine from Info's shop. It's the only one that pays if you don't use it too. You should check it out.

INSman
11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294tpi_700_efi.jpg :supp: ;) :D

cola
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
So, if one was to build a new boat, and wanted to go with something a little more exotic than the Merc lineup, what would those of you in the know recommend? The boat would be 27-29 feet, and a vee bottom, power would most likely be less than 800 horse, probably even along the lines of 600 horse. What might one expect to pay? What kind of a credit do the builders issue when deleting stock 496mag power?
Randy, you would look good in a 29' Essex Alandra with a HP500EFI & I would go buy a 40' Trawler Newport.

H20 Toie
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294tpi_700_efi.jpg :supp: ;) :D
Sweet i need a couple of those. :D

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Randy, you would look good in a 29' Essex Alandra with a HP500EFI & I would go buy a 40' Trawler Newport.
What kind of speeds are you seeing out of the Essex? What motor are you running?

cola
11-02-2005, 08:22 PM
What kind of speeds are you seeing out of the Essex? What motor are you running?
Thats what I'am running & it sees about 63 on the GPS

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Thats what I'am running & it sees about 63 on the GPS
Duh, I guess I should read a little slower so it sinks in. I already had a boat that did 63, sorry.

THOR
11-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I would throw GT performance in the mix. He does great work.

cola
11-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Duh, I guess I should read a little slower so it sinks in. I already had a boat that did 63, sorry.
Did you sell it

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Did you sell it
No, but perhaps in the near future. I guess I shoulda said have.

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Kind of depends on what you want. The big builders are great for a TPI systems, but there are plenty of other people out there that offer a great package. I know that Infomaniac builds a killer product (as evidenced by Trident's motor). I also have a couple more builders that I know that build a killer product at about 60% of the cost of the bigger builders and I think they build just as good of a product. Warranty will also be as good as the others.
Just for example, I had a friend who just went to a builder I recommended and he built a 572 for his jet boat that put out over 700h.p. naturally aspirated with a single dominator on pump gas. I know that the motor was less than 23k. Ask the big builders for that and I guarantee that you will be up in the low to mid $30k range.

OGShocker
11-02-2005, 09:18 PM
You call B&D Marine. He'll build you an engine around +850HP that will work when you want it to. Quite a few SCOPE boys have run his engines for years. PM Havasu47 or click the link below for details.
my .02

Kachina26
11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
You call B&D Marine. He'll build you an engine around +850HP that will work when you want it to. Quite a few SCOPE boys have run his engines for years. PM Havasu47 or click the link below for details.
my .02
Have you clicked on that link recently? It goes to a domain selling site. Musta forgot to pay the bill :D I will look into them though. What kind of money for that 850 ?

Goodtime$
11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
We just took out a 27 tunnel with Gary Teagues 800carb setup with a BMax behind. His work is amazing, i am sure others are good. But from my experience. GT marine should be there on your short list.

Kahuna
11-02-2005, 09:52 PM
TPI Engines Drop In Engines
TPI600EFI: $26K
TPI700EFI: $34K
TPI800EFI: $40K
TPI900EFI: $47K
TPI1000EFI: $55K

RiverDave
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Derebery has some awesome packages of EFI and non around 700hp at very attractive pricing.
I don't think I'd be looking to hard at Derebery..
RD

BADBLOWN572
11-02-2005, 10:12 PM
RD
Me either. :jawdrop: :mad:

Jordy
11-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Let me be the first to suggest Larry's shop down in Tucson. That would be Larry Peto. Yeah, the throttle guy for Predator. 'Nuff said? ;) :D

KACHINA KEN
11-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Ditto Peto will save you at least 15-20K a side. His shit powers up Predator, so there ya go.

KACHINA KEN
11-02-2005, 10:44 PM
You can also ask Prostogod, he just got one of his 580's for his 24 HTM.

HBjet
11-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Don't forget DNE!
Robbie Racer runs one of his power plants in his 257 cat. I've seen a few 25' daytona's and a 25' Shockwave with DNE power. He builds for the big boats too, not just drag boats and jets!
HBjet

Craig
11-03-2005, 04:34 AM
Donnie, Bill, Rick Tony and I all have Peto motors and haven't had a problem out of them. There's still plenty of support after the purchase as well if needed.
Engine Packages
580 Turn-Key Marine Engine
675 HP - 700 Lbs. Torque
Custom J-E Pistons, Dart Big M Block, Dart Pro I Heads w/Special Hardened Seats & Coating, Dart Intake Manifold, Scat 4340 4.500 Profiled Crank, Scat 6.700” H-Beam Rods w/ARP 2000 Bolts, Hydraulic Roller Cam & Lifters, Canton Offshore Marine Oil Pan, Rollmaster Timing Set, Billet Timing Pointer, Cloyes Timing Cover, Valve Covers & Breathers, Clevite “H” Bearings, Rev Intake & Inconel Exhaust Valves, Isky Valve Springs, Lunati/Comp Retainers, Locks, Spring Discs, Guide Plates, C-V Pushrods, Lunati Roller Rockers, Melling HP Oil Pump, ARP Head Bolts, Cam Bolts, Oil Pump Stud, Driveshaft, Balancer Bolt, & Carburetor Studs, Steel Flywheel, Romac or Pioneer Balancer, Holley 1050 Dominator Marine Carburetor & Jomar Spacer, Billet Flame Arrestor, Throttle Bracket & Mercruiser Adapter, XRP SS Fuel Line, Dan Olson Bolt On Oil Cooler, IMCO Polished Powerflow Manifolds, IMCO Pulley Kit, Jabsco Bronze Raw Water Pump, SS Water Crossover, Edelbrock Fuel Pump & ARP Pushrod, MSD w/Soft Touch Limiter & Mounts, Comp Cams Polymer Distributor Gear, Powermaster Starter, Mercruiser Alternator, Water Pump & Alternator Mounts, Power Steering & Cooler, Wiring Harness w/Circuit Breaker, Engine Coupler, Std. Mercruiser Side Mounts, Bell Housing, Oil Pressure & Temp Sender, Water Fittings & Drain Cocks.
CC Heads, Stage 1 Porting, Mill Heads & Race Valve Job, Pin Fit Pistons, File Fit Rings, Internally Balanced, Block is Decked, Modified for Stroker, Detailed, Line Honed, Bored & Honed w/Deck Plate, Degree Cam & Set Cam End Play, Completely Assembled & Dynotested.
$ 23,500.00
Additional for Fuel Injection $ 1,800.00
Additional for CMI E-TOP Exhaust Manifolds $ 1,200.00

Havasu Hangin'
11-03-2005, 04:51 AM
I would never go to DNE again (unless I liked not having my phone calls returned after I paid someone, and being told "I don't have time for you" after my motors almost burned up my family).
I'd call Gary at GT Performance.

superdave013
11-03-2005, 05:49 AM
RD
why?

Huckleberry
11-03-2005, 05:52 AM
I would throw GT performance in the mix. He does great work.
I second the recommendation for Gary Teague. Great work, and you can't find a nicer guy to deal with.

OGShocker
11-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Have you clicked on that link recently? It goes to a domain selling site. Musta forgot to pay the bill :D I will look into them though. What kind of money for that 850 ?
What link? :D
I would set prices for B&D, but since they do ALL our work, I am not sure they could live off what I would like to be charged. :boxed: Brian is a very fair guy who does a fantastic job for his customers. I can't say enough nice things about their operation. :smile:

Evil-E
11-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Let me be the first to suggest Larry's shop down in Tucson. That would be Larry Peto. Yeah, the throttle guy for Predator. 'Nuff said? ;) :D
I had Larry power my HTM with a 800hp blower motor. They are a pleasure to work with, always on time, and my motor ran flawless. He will be doing motors for my Spectre this winter.

BADBLOWN572
11-03-2005, 07:30 AM
why?
We have had a buddy who had a Derberry motor built and had nothing but problems with it. All B.S. that should have been covered under warranty, but it wasn't. They ended up taking the manufacturer to court and winning. Just a ton of legal problems and their new boat sat for a year with no motor and they were making payments on it.

Sleek-Jet
11-03-2005, 07:31 AM
I had Larry power my HTM with a 800hp blower motor. They are a pleasure to work with, always on time, and my motor ran flawless. He will be doing motors for my Spectre this winter.
I thought you were going to leave those alone for now??? :D

Havasu47
11-03-2005, 08:02 AM
A little problem with our web site designer. We paid her in for a year in advance, she put the domain in her name then left town :devil: We are starting all over again :cry:

Evil-E
11-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I thought you were going to leave those alone for now??? :D
I did leave them alone.........for a few months. :messedup: Even if I don't go bigger I will get them freshened up, but since they will be out. :idea: I'm not going crazy though, just 800 to 850 a side. No Predator motors here. ;)

dirty old man
11-03-2005, 08:22 AM
You've been given some good suggestions, but also consider location, close to where you can check in on occasion. From your home that would leave you two possibilities from the list of quality engine builders; Teague in Valencia and GT in Montclair, Nothing wrong with the others, just a long way to go

Kachina26
11-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Well I should prob stay out of this one.....
No, join in:D How're your Kincaid motors doing? He seemed like a stand up kinda guy when I met him in Havi. No need to comment on Pfaff, I think I know where you stand there.

UnionJack
11-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I like that combo

MR HARLEY
11-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Ilmor MV10/625 with a Teague Platinum XR :cool:

prosthogod
11-03-2005, 08:47 AM
I just had Larry build a 548ci EFI motor that dynoed at 653hp. Turnkey, strong and will last forever~25k installed. The customer service is 2nd to none. He has come out personally 2x to do lake tests and dial things in. I recently referred another friend there and he couldn't be happier also.

gmocnik
11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Gary at Gt has treated me very well over the past five years...1000 plus horsepower quad rotored EFI 540 with no drama..
gm

HBjet
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I would never go to DNE again (unless I liked not having my phone calls returned after I paid someone, and being told "I don't have time for you" after my motors almost burned up my family).
WOW... sorry to hear that. :sqeyes:
HBjet

PHOTOGLOU
11-03-2005, 12:28 PM
No, join in:D How're your Kincaid motors doing? He seemed like a stand up kinda guy when I met him in Havi. No need to comment on Pfaff, I think I know where you stand there.
Kincaid is great and stand up guy......I have had no problems in the last 63 hours of boating with the motors and he even calls on occasion to check on how things are.... His prices are very reasonable and if I was closer to him I would use him for the new set.... I am going with GT in montclair /Upland he is close and can service the motors.... Kincaid or GT I don't think you can go wrong

Huckleberry
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Something to keep in mind as everyone keeps mentioning Peto's motors in Predator. When Gary Smith needs work done on the motors in Alien and Predator, where does he take them??? He has them towed all the way from Tucson to GT Performance in Montclair. I said it earlier, and I'll repeat it again...You can't go wrong with GT's motors and you won't find a nicer guy to deal with than Gary Teague...PERIOD!
Is GT the cheapest out there? No. But these words hold true for more things than boat motors:
"When you pay good money for first quality you only cry once. Go with a "Bargain Price" builder and you will likely cry many, many times." Personal experience speaking here. GT unfocked the motors in my Daytona that were built by some no-name builder in New York. It wasn't cheap, but I know it was done right this time for sure.

Evil-E
11-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Something to keep in mind as everyone keeps mentioning Peto's motors in Predator. When Gary Smith needs work done on the motors in Alien and Predator, where does he take them??? He has them towed all the way from Tucson to GT Performance in Montclair. I said it earlier, and I'll repeat it again...You can't go wrong with GT's motors and you won't find a nicer guy to deal with than Gary Teague...PERIOD!
Is GT the cheapest out there? No. But these words hold true for more things than boat motors:
"When you pay good money for first quality you only cry once. Go with a "Bargain Price" builder and you will likely cry many, many times." Personal experience speaking here. GT unfocked the motors in my Daytona that were built by some no-name builder in New York. It wasn't cheap, but I know it was done right this time for sure.
You must be f-ing kidding me! That is a smack in the face to Larry and all his people for all of the hours of work they put in on Predator.

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
In my opinion:
There are many good engine builders out there. I think one of the top concerns should be how they react to a problem. They're all going to have a problem occur sooner or later. How do they handle the situation? I'd pay more for honesty and integrity. Lets face it, bad luck happens to us all but if they stand behind it, I can live with that.
They shouldn't have a problem letting you talk with some of their customers.
I'll add one more thought. Quality control!!! When a certain builder gets busy does his QC drop? I'ts happened to me a while back, but I don't want to name anyone. Little overlooked items can become huge problems.

INSman
11-03-2005, 02:34 PM
In my opinion:
There are many good engine builders out there. I think one of the top concerns should be how they react to a problem. They're all going to have a problem occur sooner or later. How do they handle the situation? I'd pay more for honesty and integrity. Lets face it, bad luck happens to us all but if they stand behind it, I can live with that.
They shouldn't have a problem letting you talk with some of their customers.
I'll add one more thought. Quality control!!! When a certain builder gets busy does his QC drop? I'ts happened to me a while back, but I don't want to name anyone. Little overlooked items can become huge problems.
I know, I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supp: :D

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I know, I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supp: :D
SSShhhhhh!!!! :cool: :D

ChumpChange
11-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Kroozin:
By any chance do you have those 900hp engines still lying around? I may need them. :idea:

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Kroozin:
By any chance do you have those 900hp engines still lying around? I may need them. :idea:
yes, I was just getting ready to go detail them for ya :D
I can get rid of the trannies and headers if you don't want them.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595resized_twins.jpg

prosthogod
11-03-2005, 03:16 PM
That's interesting because I've been in Larry's shop on two occasions , met Gary, and he was there having work done on the motors, etc. :confused:

Sane Asylum
11-03-2005, 04:10 PM
You must be f-ing kidding me! That is a smack in the face to Larry and all his people for all of the hours of work they put in on Predator.
That's why he's a huckleberry........

Sane Asylum
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Randy........Do a badazz diesel.........They're starting to put some interesting stuff in some sport cruisers and big (40+ foot) offshores......You can make big, reliable horsepower with diesels.....
Only prob is getting diesel fuel on the water.......Smart guys like you would figure that stuff out though.....

Sleek-Jet
11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
And you have proof of this where?????????????
Larry's a hell of a nice guy to, and all the people that work for him. They put up with my stupid ass requests and questions.

INSman
11-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I may keep quiet for the right amount of Pastrami !! :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I may keep quiet for the right amount of Pastrami !! :D
Didn't he already give you his meat? :supp:

INSman
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Didn't he already give you his meat? :supp:
Stay out of this, drunken cruise boy !!!
And yes he has, by the way but can't get enough :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Stay out of this, drunken cruise boy !!!
And yes he has, by the way but can't get enough :D
I'm sober now...and washing reallllly good (with 250 grit sandpaper, just to be sure).
:D
So you're saying that he didn't satisfy you the first time? :supp:

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm stayin out of this one... :wink:
(did you get the pic I sent U2?)

Havasu Hangin'
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I got it...should I post it? :supp:

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I got it...should I post it? :supp:
I don't think so ;) :idea: Looks like the bat boat, huh?

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Nice $100+k in motors sitting there next to A TIRE RACK :D
you can have them for 50K and the tire rack :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't think so ;) :idea: Looks like the bat boat, huh?
Yeah...those are some big-ass fins.
Hey...what did you just upload to the Image Center? :eek:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Pfaff 700 "Challanger"
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1780650na700scefi2.jpg
Estimated Horsepower: 700
Estimated Torque: 720 Ft Lbs
Full Throttle Operating Range: 5400-5800 RPM
Size - C.I.D.: 565
Bore &Stroke: 4.600 x 4.250
Comp Ratio: 9:5.1
Fuel Requirements: 91 Octane
Crankshaft: Forged Steel
Block: GM Hi-Performance
Rods: H-Beam Forged Steel
Pistons: CP Forged Aluminum
Rings: CP Plasma Moly
Head: Dart Pro 1 Aluminum
Intake Valves: Severe Duty
Exhaust Valves: Inconel Extreme Duty
Valve Springs: Hi Performance Dual W/Damper
Cam: Hydraulic Roller
Lifters: Hydraulic Roller
Pushrods: Manley Chrome Moly
Rocker Arms: Scorpion Roller Rockers
Oil Pump: Melling Hi Vol Blueprinted
Oil Pan: G.M.8 Qt.
Ignition: G.M.
Management System: G.M.Mefi 3
Fuel Pump: Holley Hi-Volume Electric
Intake Manifold: Arizona Speed & Marine
Exhaust System: Imco Powerflow Plus /CMI E-Tops
Later,
CJG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
But.....
I still say you go with this !!!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-012F.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-002F.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-003F.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-009F.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-013F.JPG
Muuhahahahahahaha.......
Later,
CJG

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Chris, looks very nice, how much HP?

INSman
11-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Yes I did, and that is bad ass !!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

INSman
11-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I was going that route until I priced the drive out and then it just seemed stupid to me, so I went with smaller twins, and then, and then :rollside:

KROOZIN
11-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I was going that route until I priced the drive out and then it just seemed stupid to me, so I went with smaller twins, and then, and then :rollside:
850 ...nice
you forgot: and then, and then, and then, and then a little more :rolleyes: :D

OGShocker
11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
These might run better if you took the duct tape off the breathy thingys. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595resized_twins.jpg
Just a thought.. :notam:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Dynoed at 996 HP with 10 lbs of boost..... :smile:
Gordy knocked it down to 825-850 with 6 lbs or so..... :p
I'm NOT a big baller, so I need it to live for a while...... :rolleyes:
Just hit 120 hrs.......Not a peep from the motor..... :D
Later,
CJG

PHOTOGLOU
11-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Dynoed at 996 HP with 10 lbs of boost..... :smile:
Gordy knocked it down to 825-850 with 6 lbs or so..... :p
I'm NOT a big baller, so I need it to live for a while...... :rolleyes:
Just hit 120 hrs.......Not a peep from the motor..... :D
Later,
CJG
Dosen't the motor have to run to get it to "peep"
J/K HE HE HE

Charley
11-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Teague and Peto, both great experiences for me..... both make a good product, both stand behind the product they make, both warranty it.... Peto is a bit Cheaper, but resale on a boat with TCM's might fetch the difference you pay up front

HM
11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I had a bad experience with Teague. I had been looking for a certain size blower belt and called those guys. Got ahold of someone and he claimed they carried all the belts I would ever need. I tried to give him the part number and size, but he assured me they had it. I said, just check as it is a 2 hour drive for me. He just says we got it. Well, you know what happened. I drove 2 hours and they didn't have it, and then tried to place the blame on me having an odd belt (8mm gilmer). I was pissed. It would have been one thing if it was just the wanna-be racer working for $8/hour behind the counter who was the moron, but the "manager" asked me what was up and his response was "sorry" and he walked away. No offer to help me find the belt, no effort to make the situation better..nothin. I guess he thought I was small potatoes. I have spent over $100K on engines since then, and they did not get one dime, nor will they. I don't care how good they are. Besides, the best parts to put on their engines suddenly changes when they buy a company that builds the parts (superchiller).

acatitude
11-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I went thru a couple builders in norcal, then bit the bullet and went to peto,a long pull from SAC,but well worth the travel. I couldnt be happier with my motor, now if he could make my imco live a while longer.............. :D

Jrocket
11-07-2005, 08:28 AM
GT Performance(Gary Teague)