PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lanier

mickeyfinn
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Gonna try to get some break in hours on the engine. Only about 30 minutes so far. Will be out tomorrow to try and put a few hours on it. Anyone else gonna be out?

mickeyfinn
11-04-2005, 02:34 PM
A perfect day!!!
The day was perfect. Mid 70's and glass. Was out for almost 2 hours and only saw 1 other boat on the water. The engine ran good and I didn't get too crazy breaking it in. Need more prop though. Anyone have an 11x16 LH for a 1" shaft I can try?

miketsouth
11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Nice to hear SOMEONE had a good time.
I got mine kind of apart and am winterizing it for the winter.

Outnumbered
11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
What is the water temp there now? I am very curious about buying a lakefront house or lot back in that area. It looks beautiful.

mickeyfinn
11-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Surface temp is around 70-73 degrees. Beautiful lake. Be careful where you buy. If you get to seriously looking I would try to stay north of Highway 53. It is further from Atlanta but the south end of the lake is a nightmare on weekends. The North end of the lake you can still find glass to ski on even on holiday weekends, but you need to be pretty far north. Another advantage is that LE is not present much on the north end (for the noise/speed folks). Come on out.

83youngblood
11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
I have alot of contacts, example 2005 Poker Run , 2004 Bass tour, and trying to setup Jet Boat Expo's or Racing.

Outnumbered
11-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Surface temp is around 70-73 degrees. Beautiful lake. Be careful where you buy. If you get to seriously looking I would try to stay north of Highway 53. It is further from Atlanta but the south end of the lake is a nightmare on weekends. The North end of the lake you can still find glass to ski on even on holiday weekends, but you need to be pretty far north. Another advantage is that LE is not present much on the north end (for the noise/speed folks). Come on out.
Thanks. Are there any bad areas to look out for? Crime ridden, depressed sections, etc. What is the closest big city to the north end and how far of a drive would it be?

mickeyfinn
11-05-2005, 01:55 PM
No bad areas on the water.Our lakehouse is off of sardis creek. Slum lord at the top of hill rents trailers,300,000 homes at bottom of hill. No problems though. Gainesville is the biggest town up that direction. Still only 45minutes to an hour from Atlanta.

Outnumbered
11-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Slum lord at the top of hill rents trailers,300,000 homes at bottom of hill.
What does this mean?
Overall, it sounds like a good place to invest in lake property. Still reasonable.
Thanks

mickeyfinn
11-06-2005, 03:45 PM
What does this mean?
Overall, it sounds like a good place to invest in lake property. Still reasonable.
Thanks
The neighborhood where our lake house is is mostly rental trailers that is generally not what one would consider a "good " area. The top of the hill is not on the water and you have a couple of slum lords renting trailers. (old trailers) At the bottom of the hill everyone is on the water and houses generall go for between 300,000 and 500,000 depending on the house, how deep the water is etc. Never have any problems even though the neighborhood is "not so nice" right up the road.

throwerb
11-06-2005, 04:48 PM
What does this mean?
Thanks
How about 20 min. north of nashville on Old Hickory. I moved here a year ago and love it. My neighbors house is for sale for $550k right on the lake.

Outnumbered
11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
How about 20 min. north of nashville on Old Hickory. I moved here a year ago and love it. My neighbors house is for sale for $550k right on the lake.
I'm looking for more of a bargain now that may be a popular area in about 15 years. $550k as an investment is out of my league. I was surfing Lakehouse.com and there are tons of cheap lakefronts in the south--$300k or less. I'm sure the're not all in bad areas. Most of the houses look very nice.

mickeyfinn
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for more of a bargain now that may be a popular area in about 15 years. $550k as an investment is out of my league. I was surfing Lakehouse.com and there are tons of cheap lakefronts in the south--$300k or less. I'm sure the're not all in bad areas. Most of the houses look very nice.
Very few bad areas on lanier. From a boating standpoint the bad areas are the most expensive as they are on the southside closest to Atlanta and most in demand by those who are willing to commute and sit it traffic. You can still get a real nice house on the water with a dock on the north end for 250,000 to 350,000. I don't know of any area that I would call a bad are on lanier. My point was just that even the areas that may not be as nice as others don't have any problems. The biggest problem we have is all the people that want to "go to the lake" and don't have a clue how much expense is involved keeping all the water toys in food for a weekend.

Outnumbered
11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Good info, thanks. I'm not just set on Lanier. I am looking at any opportunity in the south on a lake where you can have a dock/slip in your back yard and still be within an hour of a decent size city.

riverroyal
11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
my wife and I were there about 3 years ago,we looked at homes with boat docks etc.I was moving for sure!Got on the plane coming home,couldnt stop talking about the lake,got home,went to work,its been 3 years.

throwerb
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Best of luck to you.

Outnumbered
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Best of luck to you.
Not sure how to take that. Sarcasm or sincere comment? What is your take on the $300k-ish lake houses? I am just throwing some ideas around at this point so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Outnumbered
11-07-2005, 08:46 PM
my wife and I were there about 3 years ago,we looked at homes with boat docks etc.I was moving for sure!Got on the plane coming home,couldnt stop talking about the lake,got home,went to work,its been 3 years.
So what did you think? What areas did you look in? I am looking to buy a lakefront place, rent it out, and possibly retire there in 15 years. The only real issues that I have is if I could handle the humidity and the bugs (mosquitos). AZ nights are so sweet when its 90*, no bugs, and 20% humidity.

throwerb
11-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Not sure how to take that. Sarcasm or sincere comment? What is your take on the $300k-ish lake houses? I am just throwing some ideas around at this point so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Very sincere. I'm sure you will find something there are plenty of deals left out this way. I'm always trying to talk more Hot Boaters in to moving to this area, best move I ever made, and I'm sure Nashvillebound will tell you the same. Let me know if I can help.

Outnumbered
11-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Very sincere. I'm sure you will find something there are plenty of deals left out this way. I'm always trying to talk more Hot Boaters in to moving to this area, best move I ever made, and I'm sure Nashvillebound will tell you the same. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks. I thought maybe I was out of touch with those prices. Good to know that it can still be done. I have been kicking this around for some time and every now and then I get a little excited about it--then I get busy with other things and blow it off. I'm going to have to just break down and do it.