PDA

View Full Version : Fuel plumbing for NOx

SleekPanther
07-29-2002, 06:47 AM
What I have is 2 seperate fuel tanks, two electric fuel pumps (Holley blue), two pressure regulators, two carbs (600 CFM) and one NOx system. Any one care to take a stab at "connecting the dots"? Currently one tank/pump/regulator feeds one carb and the other set feeds the second carb and NOx. It seems to work, but I wonder if there isn't a better way. thanks
Paul

stressedout
07-29-2002, 06:57 AM
How big is the nitrous system?

BOFH
07-29-2002, 11:28 AM
The obvious thing to me is put a T fitting on both carbs and connect them to a T fitting on the NOS. This will balance everything, and if you loose a fuel pump, you can still limp home. Hell, you could NOS home if you were carefull. :-)

SleekPanther
07-29-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure, IRC it is a "K&M" or maybe "M&M" I'd put it in the 100HP category. It's probably 10 to 15 years old
Paul

SleekPanther
07-29-2002, 11:35 AM
So BOFH you're suggesting a fuel rail with everything hooked to it, pumps, carbs and NOx?
<<<Hell, you could NOS home if you were carefull. :-)
>>>>
You're killing me!

stressedout
07-30-2002, 04:41 AM
With a 100hp kit you could plumb it all together as 100 hp is pretty mild.But I always like to use a seperate pump with regulator for the nitrous, then you have a more accurate flow, use a fuel pressure switch in case something happens you loose pressure the nitrous won't work.Use a fuel pressure gauge so you can moniter the pressure.Usually you want 6-7 psi.

BOFH
07-30-2002, 06:03 AM
<<So BOFH you're suggesting a fuel rail with everything hooked to it, pumps, carbs and NOx?>>
Just hook a balance rod between the carbs, so that a failier would still supply fuel (Not enough for full blast, but some) to both carbs. Then hook the NOS to that rod, in the middle. Have fun!

DUCKY
07-30-2002, 02:50 PM
I would run the two tanks through a selector valve to one pump, then to the regulator. Use one port of the regulator (set at about 7psi) to feed the carbs under normal use. Plumb the other port of the regulator to the other fuel pump then out to the second regulator (at about 9 psi) to feed the nitrous system. Have the second pump come on only when you arm the nitrous system. Good Luck!

SleekPanther
07-31-2002, 04:54 AM
I like the selector valve for the tanks idea, the pressure switch is a good idea too, I think I'll go with the switched second pump strictly for the NOx. Thanks to all for your help
Paul

RumRunner
08-03-2002, 11:18 AM
That is an old Marvin Miller system !! he was one of the original N2O guys back in the late 70's to early 80's.
Being only 100HP there are many "safe" ways to do it, but here is how I would run your setup. A seperate fuel filter, and pump out of each tank to a "Y" block at by the engine connecting them together. Make sure to put one way check valves by your pumps so you can not flow backwards through one if it is off !!! Now that you have one line (with fuel from both pumps) at the engine go into another "Y" block to 2 seperate regulators (one for your carbs, the other for the N2O) I would also hook up a "hobbs" pressure safety switch off of your N2O fuel regualtor that if the PSI drops below 5 PSI it will shut the system off. Now this will let you run your second pump when you run your nitrous, it lets you tune both your engine, and nitrous seperately, but still gets you home when one pump takes a dump !!
Doug

SleekPanther
08-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Marvin Miller eh? Definitely ancient stuff here. Doug, your suggested setup sounds very elegant, with failsafe too, thanks for your comments.
Paul