PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera.

HCS
11-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Could do a search, but I'll start fresh.
It's the wifes birthday and she wants a camera.
Which is great! because I want one too. ;)
I hate shopping for stuff like that though. Too many choices.
How much camera is too much camera? I want keep it around 5 bills or less.
Do I need to spend that much or will some of the cheaper cameras be just as good.
I'm looking at a,
Canon power shot, 5 meg. for 499.
Kodak Easyshare, 5.1 meg. same 499.
Then there's a,
Konica Minolta DiMage 6 meg. for 399. :confused:
Or should I just get one of the cheaper ones?
What to get...... :idea:

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:12 PM
pentax optioS5Z,from costco,under 300$,its great,easy program for the pc.Its about the size of a pack of smokes.5 mega.long life rechargables,check out costco online.Plus cost will let you return anything!

spectras only
11-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Just get a cheaper one like mine . Canon A520 , 4 meg 4X zoom . It's as cheap as 299 cdn , less in us. It takes half decent videos too .>
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Mvi_1129.avi
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_1360.jpg

Do F150's Float?
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a sony cybershot 5.0mp (its the older one). It's really small, easy to use & takes really good pics. I think it was about $500 (probably a lot cheaper now)

76ANTHONY
11-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I have a sony cybershot 5.0mp (its the older one). It's really small, easy to use & takes really good pics. I think it was about $500 (probably a lot cheaper now)
DAM, 500 BUCKS, ARE YOU RICH???? :D :D i just pick up the disposable ones at the gas station, get her one of those, she'll love it :D :D

BajaMike
11-05-2005, 12:22 PM
From Leo on KFI:
You should be able to get a good quality point and shoot for around $250 (including a additional 512MB memory card). I like the Nikon 5900 - but read the reviews at www.digitalcamerainfo.com.
Consider:
optics - just as with a film camera good glass is critical to satisfying pictures
shutter lag - film camera users are often disappointed with the slight shutter lag common on digital camera. Try before you buy to make sure you can live with the lag. The more expensive the camera, the lower the lag.
megapixels - anything greater than four is plenty
battery type - LiON batteries require recharging. If you won’t always be near a plug socket, look for a camera that supports standard batteries, as well
Digital Camera Reviews (www.digitalcamerainfo.com)
Also, get the most optical zoom you can, ignore the digital zoom, it's worthless!
The Nikons and Olympus have great optics (lenses).
:D :boxingguy :D :boxingguy

Do F150's Float?
11-05-2005, 12:23 PM
DAM, 500 BUCKS, ARE YOU RICH???? :D :D i just pick up the disposable ones at the gas station, get her one of those, she'll love it :D :D
No...my mommy loves me :rollside:
Now if i could just find someone to buy me some wheels... :confused:

76ANTHONY
11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
No...my mommy loves me :rollside:
Now if i could just find someone to buy me some wheels... :confused:
what kinda car do you have, i'll get ya some rims :D :D :D

Sleek-Jet
11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I love my Olympus (4.0 megapixel).. though I wish it was smaller, it takes fantastic photos and comes with an OK, and simple to use, graphics program to edit the pictures with..

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:27 PM
that one,got stolen from the front of my truck,,its good also

Tom Brown
11-05-2005, 12:35 PM
How much boat is too much boat?
You need very little but you want a lot.
I'd go down to Walmart and pick up a Canon. Any of the models they carry will be within your budget.
A520 - Stinking cheap and obscenely good for the cash. Actually... just plain good for any price.
SD500 - Tiny. If she wants to carry it in her purse all the time, this is a fantastic choice.
S2 IS - A bit bigger and more cumbersome but IS is fantastic for action shots on the water.
G6 - A really terrific camera if you want some photog type features like manual settings for depth of field control and such.
Oh yeah... forget the megapixel race. The race has been won by the flash card vendors. Anything over 4 mp is fine, although some of the sensors with too much pixel density have poor low light performance and purple fringe issues. If you want lots of megapixels so you can have a higher number than the guy standing next to you, get a camera with a fairly large sensor.

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
is making a waterproof,not resistant,dig camera now,its under 500$I almost got that one,check their website

Chase
11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Tom, you are smarter than the average bear... :idea:

Do F150's Float?
11-05-2005, 12:39 PM
what kinda car do you have, i'll get ya some rims :D :D :D
Ok...4 procomp 6079 (those are the chromies) 17" for a 2002 Ford F150 :wink:

Tom Brown
11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
is making a waterproof,not resistant,dig camera now,its under 500$I almost got that one,check their website
Canon has made a dive housing for many of their cameras for years. I've often thought it would be a neat accessory to have but I don't know how often I'd use it.
Do you use one? I wouldn't mind seeing some underwater shots.
I'd rather have a housing for a regular camera than have to lug around a bulky underwater body all the time. Does the Pentax have an underwater white balance setting? That would be cool. I suppose if you could do RAW, you could white balance to whatever you like after the fact.

riverbound
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
do F-150's float though??? :idea:

76ANTHONY
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
UM, I WAS THINKING MORE LIKE THE COOL SPINNER HUBCAPS :D :D :D

Do F150's Float?
11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
do F-150's float though??? :idea:
I dunno...i've got 4 35" X-Terrains sitting in my garage...if you buy me some wheels we can test it out!!! :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Could do a search, but I'll start fresh.
It's the wifes birthday and she wants a camera.
Which is great! because I want one too. ;)
I hate shopping for stuff like that though. Too many choices.
Do I need to spend that much or will some of the cheaper cameras be just as good.
I'm looking at a,
Canon power shot, 5 meg. for 499.
Kodak Easyshare, 5.1 meg. same 499.
Then there's a,
Konica Minolta DiMage 6 meg. for 399. :confused:
Or should I just get one of the cheaper ones?
What to get...... :idea:
I got this Vivitar Vivi Cam 5385 5 Mega Pixels
Pritty damn good pix plus will do almost 10 min vidio !!!

NorCal Gameshow
11-05-2005, 02:01 PM
pentax optioS5Z,from costco,under 300$,its great,easy program for the pc.Its about the size of a pack of smokes.5 mega.long life rechargables,check out costco online.Plus cost will let you return anything!
it's time to pack up that p.o.s. olympus I bought from costco and trade it in.

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 02:03 PM
cost co kicks ass!

BajaMike
11-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Costso will take back anything for any reason... :idea:
I just took back a 2 1/2 year old TV, 24" with DVD and VCR, got back $660. I could have bought a similar 27" for about $300, instead I bought a Proview LCD high def for $999. I'll trade it in a few years for bigger and better...
Like this....
http://www.proview.com/imgDefaultLarge.aspx?sn=05090014
:idea:

HCS
11-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Love it! Lot's of great info......mation. :cool:
Got my shopping cut out.
Thanks for all the great input. :smile:

Sleek-Jet
11-05-2005, 02:51 PM
It doesn't look like he's watching the TV... :D

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Costso will take back anything for any reason... :idea:
I just took back a 2 1/2 year old TV, 24" with DVD and VCR, got back $660. I could have bought a similar 27" for about $300, instead I bought a Proview LCD high def for $999. I'll trade it in a few years for bigger and better...
Like this....
:idea:
a teak patio set 2 years ago,it looks like shit now,I asked the manager if the ever carried teak refinishing stuff because the one i bought looks bad,he said just bring it back!,no receipt no problem,it was like 1200$.I buy everything there,should see my wifes finger,she walks straight the the jewelry case everytime

NashvilleBound
11-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I found one in some dorks truck he left open in San Marcos last year.... I love it ...the price was right. :) :) :)

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I found one in some dorks truck he left open in San Marcos last year.... I love it ...the price was right. :) :) :)
other dorks,i was carlsbad,thief. :rollside:

MBlaster
11-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm getting one of these.
Costco $319
http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cameras.features&exp_id=1A5770F3-C9FD-45EC-992C-F6A411DB509A

Forkin' Crazy
11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Does she want a SLR or a compact?
I have had an Olympus for about 5 years. It is old, out dated, and has been dropped several times. Still works like a champ. A little low on the megs, so I will be moving up soon. Either an Olympus or a Cannon IMO.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I had the Olympus Camedia. I really liked it. It was easy to use. The delay does suck though, on all of those cameras, unless you get the SLR models. So be prepared. There is about a 1/2 to 1 second delay from te time you push the button to when the camera reacts. Makes it difficult to take pics of some hot guy doing a backflip :D But overall, I really liked the camera. The only reason I'm not still using it is because I got a new one for a gift.

HP350SC
11-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I have had the Sony DSC-S85 for a few years and it takes great pictures with 4 mp. and a Carl Zeiss lens. Has been dropped twice onto concrete, still works. I have found 128 memory stick to be sufficient for a weekend. Although, camera video is only HQ quality, and I found myself taking video more than still pictures. Like when on poker runs or racing. So today I just boned up and got this bad boy. This thing rocks...about $1600. Should have some awesome video's to post next Summer!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1231DSC01399-1.JPG

Carbon Dave
11-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Here is what I just bought. Canon SD550. You can find them online for $350 or so. Maybe less.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AYKUUQ.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
I like it. Nice and small. Very good photo quality and has a 2.5" screen so you can actually show people pictures. Has a video mode too.

HCS
11-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Ended up with this.
Power Shot. S2 lS.
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/img/package/package.gif

mbrown2
11-08-2005, 11:57 AM
HCS, I know you already bought....but I have had 3 cameras in the 3 years....The first a Canon C2000 was the best I had so far and it was a 2-3 megapixel device....the next was a Minolta Dimage 4.0 Megapixel...not that great of pics...(lost it) so I had to buy another....3rd is a Pentax Optio 4s (4 or 5 megapixel cam); again its pictures are lackluster....My next will be the Canon SD550....my bud has a SD400 and it takes better pics and video then my pentax....I am going Canon next time...

HCS
11-08-2005, 01:10 PM
HCS, I know you already bought....but I have had 3 cameras in the 3 years....The first a Canon C2000 was the best I had so far and it was a 2-3 megapixel device....the next was a Minolta Dimage 4.0 Megapixel...not that great of pics...(lost it) so I had to buy another....3rd is a Pentax Optio 4s (4 or 5 megapixel cam); again its pictures are lackluster....My next will be the Canon SD550....my bud has a SD400 and it takes better pics and video then my pentax....I am going Canon next time...
I'll see how the Canon PS S2 l2 is. Cost enough money. :eek:
The sales geek that sold me the camera says he prefers Kodak. But Kodak doesn't make anything equivalent.
They had alot of photos displayed that were snaped from the Canon PS S2.
Looked impressive to me.

Tom Brown
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Looked impressive to me.
You did good. :cool:
Kodak over Canon? My waterski salesman told me he prefers flat wood planks over molded composite skis but I went with the composite skis anyway.

HCS
11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Kodak over Canon? My waterski salesman told me he prefers flat wood planks over molded composite skis but I went with the composite skis anyway.
I think he may have worked at Maha one time.
I have know idea where he pulled Kodak out of. Maybe his ass.

mbrown2
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
You did good. :cool:
I wood worry about any dude that likes wood that much...:)
HCS...that canon will be the bomb....good luck with it.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Since we are talking about "wood" I guess I'll chime in (again). Canon will always be my camera of choice. I have my old workhorse SLR A-1 that has been abused to no end and still works like a champ (30 years old) and the new SLR digital. I love them both. I have done professional photography with the canons and have always had stellar results. You will be happy with that camera, I'm sure. I cannot imagine anyone preferring a Kodak camera over a canon.
That reminds me of a story. On a whim, we went looking for a new truck in our work boots (western style), dirty jeans and cowboy hats (we'd been working outside all day) The idiot salesman tried to steer us to the f-150s. Guess he thought that would make a good ranch truck. tsk, cityfolk. (shaking head)