PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Plumbing help!

WETTE VETTE
11-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I am installing a tunnel ram on my 598" solid roller motor and need some opinions on plumbing the carbs. I see the polished stainless steel pre-fabricated lines available from various suppliers. They are 3/8 ID tubing and both carb bowls are fed from the same line. I like the simplicity of these lines, but question how much HP they will support. The other option would be to run a 4-port regulator and -6 individual braided lines to each bowl which will have more capacity than the steel set-up. Opinions or experiences appreciated!

cstraub
11-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Wette,
I would go braided just for the simple fact that if you are out and something fails, chances are you can get a hold of some braided lines and fittings and with simple tools you can fix anything. With ridgid line and the beating a boat takes . . ..well I would just suggest the braided. I've seen some cool plumbing incorporating "fuel logs" and to me it makes sense to have extra fuel available for those WOT runs.

BUSBY
11-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I agree w/ Chris here ... stick with the braided ... hard lines look cool, but I like the flexibility of hose ... my .02

obnoxious001
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Sound advice, but I will interject that I ran custom -6 hardlines on my turbo race engine for years, with no problems at all. I ran a separate Holley regulator on each carb, fed with -8. While the engine was only 505 cu in, running 15 lbs of boost would up the fuel requirements significantly.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/131001_engine.jpg
Custom work looks really cool, even though this one is going in a 56 Nomad.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/1318_x_10_black_background.jpg

Kindsvater Flat
11-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Nothing fancy and all parts furnished by Sweetperformance.com :D
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/440/lines/65.JPG

steelcomp
11-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Nothing fancy and all parts furnished by Sweetperformance.com :D
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/440/lines/65.JPG
Hey, if you know where I can find another Dialarc like that one there in yer shop, there in the background, I'll buy it. :D

superdave013
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey K flat, those carb kits didn't come from me. I think the tee's did though.

Kindsvater Flat
11-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey, if you know where I can find another Dialarc like that one there in yer shop, there in the background, I'll buy it. :D
Thats a damn good welder. There are quite a few of them around on different farms. I will let you know if I hear of one for sale.
Dave everything came from you except the hard lines and the regulator.

tahitijet
11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P1010043-med.JPG
This is how i did mine. No problems yet. Stianless is -6 steel braided is -8. not sure how much HP this will support but it definatly supports 700.
BTW i got all the lines and fittings from sweet performance (superdave), the hardline from BDS and the motor was built by obnoxious001

steelcomp
11-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Thats a damn good welder. There are quite a few of them around on different farms. I will let you know if I hear of one for sale.
Dave everything came from you except the hard lines and the regulator.
Thanks KF...I'm searching for a good TIG welder, and that's one of my favorites. Let me know if anything comes up...I need one ASAP.
Thanks!

superdave013
11-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I like the 4 port regulator idea with the -6 hose to each bowl idea. But that's because I sell that stuff. ;)
But I also think those s.s. kits are nice. They are a pretty sano way to do it. I do understand your concern about feeding one complete carb from a single -6 hose.
Cherry Performance makes the bling bling s.s. kits. Alot of people knocked them off and are making the same thing. But what they don't have is just what you need. Cherry makes a slick tee fitting that's from a -8 forging. It's a -8 on the branch with two -6 on the sides. The -8 is drilled all the way to the back (most of the time they only go to the center) so the -6 on the sides are feeding from a true -8 source.
They also make a tee that's -8 on one side with a -6 on the other and a -6 on the branch that is great for a single carb.
There are a few of use on the boards that are dealers for Cherry. I'm one (www.sweetperformance.com) and I know Rexone (Rex Marine) is a dealer as well.
They are pretty nice and they come in two different styles. One has alum B nuts, tees and carb fittings (blue anno). The other is 100% polished s.s. everything. That one is pretty spendy but is super super nice. If you want to get carried away with stainless fittings their's are the ones to get. They polish every adapter and hose end in house before they ship.
If you go the 4 port way but want the polished look you should check out our polished nickel line. They are pretty snazzy too and cost effective to boot.

superdave013
11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
hey Wett Vett, what lake do you boat at? I grew up on Lake James.

WETTE VETTE
11-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for all of the great replies! If I go the 4 port regulator route what is the regulator of choice? I see the big Holley 4 port in catalogs as well as the Barry Grant. I am sure either of these would be fine but always like to hear opinions and experiences.
Superdave,
I boat mainly on Pine Lake in LaPorte, Lake Wawasee or Hardy Pond near Grand Rapids MI. I have heard Lake James has decent fast boat community, but have also heard that lake has a lot of shallow sand bars which has made me hesitant to make it over there. The SS Cherry lines with the special -8 / -6 tee is pretty slick also. I know I am cramped for space in my scoop so I will get the carbs mounted and see if either option is clearly better.
Craig

Moneypitt
11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Unless you have those trick metering blocks that allow jet changes without disassembly remember the bowls have to be removed to change jets. This can be easy, or hard, depending on the fuel lines you choose. Another factor here is the threads in the bowls, so your "break down" choice should come apart somewhere besides the bowl fittings.........My .02............MP

RumRunner
11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
WetteVette,
Go with individual lines. They won't be USCG approved, but will be better for what you're doing. Two reasons. First, you can make sure all four lines are the same length giving you an equal amount of fuel to each float bowl. Second, flexable lines will make it easier to yank a bowl real quick when changing jets.

Unchained
11-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Wette Vette,
I boat up at Hardy Dam most every weekend through the summer. I must have seen your boat up there.
Do you have any pictures of it ?
Is it all White ?

WETTE VETTE
11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I know you have seen it as you and I have spoken numerous times. Yes it is white with some ribbon type graphics on it. I can't figure out how to post pictures on this board, sorry!! You and I spoke floating out in front of Brower during Hot Boat weekend this year and there was a 22' DCB with me that had twin 300 drags!
Craig

Schiada76
11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey K flat, those carb kits didn't come from me. I think the tee's did though.
He probably bought them from some internet nitwit. :D
The same guy had the bowls off the carbs so many many times they needed heli coils (fully disclaimed before sale).
The quick change bowls would be sweet if you're expecting lots of tuning changes.