PDA

View Full Version : fuel pumps ?

machinehead
01-16-2002, 06:30 PM
what kinds of fuel pumps are most high hp motors using are they electric run through oil press switch or high perf mechanical.i know there are coast guard regs on them but what do most you run

Craig
01-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Holley "black" electric pump with a low oil pressure cut off switch. Holds 6 pounds at WOT on a blown 509 w/2 750 Holleys.
Craig

MrHavasuCat
01-17-2002, 09:50 AM
I was running a holley and was having problems with it dropping pressure at wot. I replaced it with an Aeromotive that has worked well.

Craig
01-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey, MrHavasuCat, that aeromotive pump is a nice piece, how much do they run?????
Craig

schiada96
01-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Aeromotive don't they make efi pumps?

Craig
01-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Yes, they also make pumps for drag racing up to 2000 hp (AEI-11202), as well as adjustable regulators, bypass regulators and more.
Craig

MrHavasuCat
01-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Craig,
To tell you the truth I don't know. I told Jeff (Blosdale) that I was having a problem with the holley pump and he told me to stop by his shop. He told me he was going to replace it with the Aeromotive and I dropped the boat off. I was wondering how much it was going to run because I have heard they are not cheap. I went back about an hour later and the new pump was installed. I asked Jeff how much I owed him and he said nothing. He said he had provided the Holley pump with the motor and if it was not working correctly he wanted to make it right. He truly is a great guy. I have dropped the boat off for service before and he has fixed things not related to the motor at all, and refuses to take money for it. Great guy.

VD CRUISER
01-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Machinehead,
I use a Clay Smith mechanical pump on my 547ci Chevy with 1071 Mooneyham and 2 1050 Holleys at 11 psi boost. It holds 5-6 psi at 6200 rpm. We run # 8 line from tanks to the filter and pump, and #10 line to the regulator, then 4 # 6 lines ( 1 to each bowl ). Pump cost under $100.

boatnam2
01-17-2002, 07:22 PM
i run a holley black paired with a holley mechanical just incase one decides to take a shit.

machinehead
01-19-2002, 05:58 PM
thanks for all the input!

superdave013
01-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER:
Machinehead,
I use a Clay Smith mechanical pump on my 547ci Chevy with 1071 Mooneyham and 2 1050 Holleys at 11 psi boost. It holds 5-6 psi at 6200 rpm. We run # 8 line from tanks to the filter and pump, and #10 line to the regulator, then 4 # 6 lines ( 1 to each bowl ). Pump cost under $100.
That's the best mechanical pump money can by! You can get them with the USCG little vent tube also.

Craig
01-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by MrHavasuCat:
Craig,
To tell you the truth I don't know. I told Jeff (Blosdale) that I was having a problem with the holley pump and he told me to stop by his shop. He told me he was going to replace it with the Aeromotive and I dropped the boat off. I was wondering how much it was going to run because I have heard they are not cheap. I went back about an hour later and the new pump was installed. I asked Jeff how much I owed him and he said nothing. He said he had provided the Holley pump with the motor and if it was not working correctly he wanted to make it right. He truly is a great guy. I have dropped the boat off for service before and he has fixed things not related to the motor at all, and refuses to take money for it. Great guy.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Jeff. Talked to him on the phone a couple of times and he's always willing to help with info, even if he's never done any work for you.
Can't wait for Spring!!!! Got to go out and finish plumbing my oil thermostat today in between football games http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Craig

RumRunner
01-20-2002, 11:33 AM
Most race boats use belt driven pumps, with a bypass, and return line back to the tanks. This does a few things, 1) no electrical draw. 2) if the engine cranks you've got fuel 3) keeps the fuel cool 4) lets you adjust your pressure