PDA

View Full Version : MSD help

Bajajet
11-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I have never had trouble starting my boat --------- until yesterday!
Parts: MSD 85806 distributor, Accel coil, MSD 6AL box.
No spark on cranking. Jump mag input wires to box and it does have spark. Pull the dizzy and turn by hand. If I spin it it has spark. If I turn it at roughly cranking speed no input to box = no spark. Is it the pickup coil in the dizzy? Seems that that would be the case but I have not tried to rotate the dizzy at different speeds by hand before. Help!!!!!!!!
Oh it is not a fuel prob.

sleekcrafter
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Check the 12volt ignition source (while cranking) sometimes you can lose ignition feed voltage, when in the start position. The MSD uses an optic eye for the trigger, you can bypass that, and short the distributor feed connector at the MSD box, to fire the coil. Most importantly make sure the box is grounded well, the power ground, if it's not it will cause grief and could lead to a box failure. If the optical trigger is working, and the box fires when you test short the distribtor connector, you may be losing a coil. Does your tach move when your cranking? if not it may be the MSD stuff, it it does move it would point to the coil, being suspect. Just some ideas, good luck
Sleek

Cs19
11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
msd has a messageboard for problems like this..might wanna check it out.

Bajajet
11-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Yup did all the electrical stuff mentioned. Even checked to see if it was losing the ignition "run" while cranking. I moved the pickup coil slightly closer to the reluctor and then I had spark. Need to call MSD and find out if there is a clearance spec.
How's it going Chuck. What's new with the Southwind??

SmokinLowriderSS
11-07-2005, 06:43 AM
I'll bet there is a clearance spec, there always is. :cool: Good luck at ironing it out.

Bajajet
11-07-2005, 09:27 AM
The gap is .025" - .045" per MSD tech. I will check mine out tonight.