PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous time!

dave186
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I want to put nitrous on my boat, the only thing im not sure of is if my compression ratio is too high, its 10.5+:1, forged pistons and rods, stock crank 460 Ford. im thinking a mild 100hp shot. ive been running a 90 shot on my 95 Ford Lightning for a while now and have become addicted.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-05-2005, 08:34 PM
I want to put nitrous on my boat, the only thing im not sure of is if my compression ratio is too high, its 10.5+:1, forged pistons and rods, stock crank 460 Ford. im thinking a mild 100hp shot. ive been running a 90 shot on my 95 Ford Lightning for a while now and have become addicted.
I think you MIGHT get away with it. I sure wouldn't try more tho. With the cooling effect of Nitrous, I don't think detonation will be a problem. Just make sure there is (almost) no way to go lean on fuel. That'll wreck even the stoutest parts in a few heartbeats. Filters & fuel pressure switch are cheap insurance.

dave186
11-05-2005, 10:01 PM
yah, i plan on running an electric fuel pressure gauge in the dash to keep an eye on it. i run a mechanical one on my truck mounted on the cowl. I want to do pretty much the same thing on the boat, but the truck only has 8.8:1 compression.

wsuwrhr
11-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Unless you are planning on running some type of race gas(100 octane or better), I would say your compression is getting up there to use nitrous.
Just my worthless .02
Brian
But I have a cool bracket for the bottle to sell you. ;) ;)

Morg
11-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I think you MIGHT get away with it. I sure wouldn't try more tho. With the cooling effect of Nitrous, I don't think detonation will be a problem. Just make sure there is (almost) no way to go lean on fuel. That'll wreck even the stoutest parts in a few heartbeats. Filters & fuel pressure switch are cheap insurance.
Put a fuel pressure switch in. N2o with fuel pressure, good. N2o no fuel, bad, very bad. Very bad before you can let off the N2o button.
Also I would highly recomend high octane fuel for the N2o.
I have never run N2o. But I have been in a buddy's boat that the motor was saved during a run when the fuel cylinoid shut down. This was during a run. What are the chances that during a run you will look at your fuel pressure the moment something goes south??

Sangster
11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
We're running a 482ci. Chevy 13:1 comp on 112 Octane with a 280 HP NOS Kit with 34 degress of Timing with No Problems in our Orange Hydro.....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118nos1_1.jpg

wsuwrhr
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
We're running a 482ci. Chevy 13:1 comp on 112 Octane with a 280 HP NOS Kit with 34 degress of Timing with No Problems in our Orange Hydro.....
note 112 octane
I am sure you had the best rods, rod bolts, and crank.
Brian

Sangster
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Acually.. We run stock GM rods & Crank.... :idea: .. And a 2 Bolt main GM block..

Floored
11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
my olds survived a 200 hp unit so the ford should be safe. make sure timing isn't too advanced, use good gas, set fuel press on the high side and only short bursts. Then try to wipe the smile off your face!

dave186
11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
thats what i want to hear! i know by the books you shouldnt run that much compression with nitrous, but you arent supposed to use hyper pistons either and i have been for a year now in my truck. im 100% sure my bottom end can handle the HP its just if i can keep the detonation at bay. i did an experiment a while back and put 87 octane in one of my tanks, i couldnt tell any difference and no detonation but im only running 30 degrees total timing.

wsuwrhr
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Acually.. We run stock GM rods & Crank.... :idea: .. And a 2 Bolt main GM block..
OKDEN,
Damn you are pretty brave.
I guess I am one of those guys who can't sleep at night. Nitrous scares me.
Brian

dave186
11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
i was scared the first time i hit it! i said i would stay with the 50hp jets, now im at 90 and working up the courage to go to 125.

Sangster
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Go for it...... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Cs19
11-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Ive been learning alot about NOS lately as Ive been picking some pros brains everyday.
Dont push your luck, back off the timing one way or another, run good gas, make sure all your plumbing is clean, keep your bottle pressure in the area it needs to be to get the most out of it.
Im running a retard box in mine that only pulls the timing out when the solenoids are open along with an additional fuel pump and good fuel.The wiring has been a bitch with all the timers,relays,blah blah, but it will all be worth it.
Sangster you are brave.

smalls
11-07-2005, 08:32 AM
:skull: :skull:
OKDEN,
Damn you are pretty brave.
I guess I am one of those guys who can't sleep at night. Nitrous scares me.
Brian

Towndrunk
11-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Ive been learning alot about NOS lately as Ive been picking some pros brains everyday.
Dont push your luck, back off the timing one way or another, run good gas, make sure all your plumbing is clean, keep your bottle pressure in the area it needs to be to get the most out of it.
Im running a retard box in mine that only pulls the timing out when the solenoids are open along with an additional fuel pump and good fuel.The wiring has been a bitch with all the timers,relays,blah blah, but it will all be worth it.
Sangster you are brave.
I used to have a retard box but I divorced her. :D

You Te
11-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Interesting!

EXTREMEBOATS
11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
:crossx: USE EVERY SAFTEY DEVICE KNOWN TO MAN...... I run a 400 shot on my 15:2.1 392 hemi and have been OK sofar... $27,000 in it...Compression really is not your fear. The parts that keep it together are what count. Best advice I can give.... :argue: There is lots of info out there, do your home work and you wont have nightmares.... If I can help call... not that im a pro, but I did plenty of research befor I hit the button.... :rolleyes: Mike

WETTE VETTE
11-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I ran a 150 shot on a 11.5:1 iron head SBC in a boat with no problems. We ran 110 leaded racing fuel, which you should consider with that compression, at least on the NOS fuel supply. We ran a MSD ignition and a retard module that pulled timing when on the squeeze. I also ran one step colder plugs, ran a WOT switch to not allow the NOS to be actuated unless the carb is at WOT. The fuel pressure switch is a must!! If you are running a seperate fuel supply for the NOS run a fuel pressure switch for both the motor supply and the NOS supply!! With that said I ran a lot of NOS through that motor and never had a problem. Have fun!
Craig

EXTREMEBOATS
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Sounds real close to my set up. I use a window switch to dial in my needs. By moving the RPMs up or down or a wider range it made my boat more consistant. If I couldnt do it with the time of the shot we would adjust the power range and try it again. Worked like I hoped. I desided to put the hemi in my black TR-2 this winter. We'll see if it makes a runner run as good as my Deaver did. I just dont know if I'll be as happy in a flat. Love them hydros... :supp:
Mike

Blown Spectra
11-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Just put a blower on it..........!!!! lol :D

WETTE VETTE
11-12-2005, 02:40 PM
A blower with NOS works good too!