PDA

View Full Version : 455 question

wetandwild
01-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Has anybody ever encountered a wear bearing problem caused by the motor being seated to far back again'st the jet shaft.We seem to think that engine was seated to far again'st the shaft causing the motor to bind and pushing the crankshaft foward and the results ending in a slight knock after the yoke was pulled knocking exsisted but was not so loud.The problem,even in the water several times has not gotten worse but slight knock still exsist.Don't want to dump engine and have $7200 dumped into it.Need real and sincere answers,please help.Thanks wetandwild. :)By the way we checked all possable problems that can happen,such as rod bearings,main and rist pins,bent valve,etc,but have not pulled the engine apart,thats happening this saturday.Did find bent push rods and one collasped lifter,replaced all and problem remained.Just want idea's,just in case.Boat has ran good other than that,even with knock.One other thing we reve'd the engine to 5600 rpm's for 45 sec's and no problem's other than slight knock at 1200 to 1500 rpm's,that's pretty good to me,i guess,what up with that.Thanks again.
[ January 30, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: wetandwild ]

Rexone
01-30-2003, 11:41 PM
I've seen slightly loose splines on the pump shaft to driveline cause this slight knocking situation at idle and/or low engine speeds. Can't really see where the bind you speak of would cause this knock. Other problems possibly yes, but this type of knock, probably not.

MikeF
01-31-2003, 06:07 AM
WNW,
Whenever anthing thing is changed in an engine, you "NEED" to check for clearances so the parts do not hit eachother.
The bent pushrods are probably caused by the lack of clearance between the valve guide and the retainer (could also be coil bind, but doubt it).
Your problem w/ the rattling noise from the universal is a problem that I have too. Because the engine is lined up near perfect w/ the jet, the universal cannot articulate the way it is designed to. This leads to the grinding noise from the output of the universal to the pump shaft. It happens w/ mine right abound 1200rpm and goes away shortly after.

JEThro
02-02-2003, 03:21 PM
W&W,The reason your knock got quieter after unhooking the pump is that the pump amplified your engine noise. Its kind of like using a long extension to find engine noises. It seems that you checked all the major stuff for the knock. Is your cam end-play correct? They make different size cam buttons. Have you checked any of the stupid shit yet? A weak fuel pump spring,broken alternator bracket,bad alternator,exhaust leaks,bent windage tray. I've seen all of these cause mystery knocks. Jethro

travis hathaway
02-02-2003, 05:30 PM
There should be some lateral play in the yoke where the pump spline goes into the shaft. I thought I had experienced all the 455 problems, but that is an exception!