PDA

View Full Version : Flotation foam

keithj714
02-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Anybody know who does flotation foam work in the LA / Orange County area? I was hoping to get it done by injection, not hand pouring.

Havasu Hangin'
02-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Don't do it.
The only good foam is on top of a beer...

Mandelon
02-27-2003, 06:58 PM
They sell cans of expanding foam at Home Depot....or try an insulation contractor.

wfodude
02-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Be careful. The foam you get at home depot is water absorbing. You want the opposite. I have heard horror stories of this stuff installed incorrectly(too much) and lifting the decks off boats.It's expansion can be violent...Check with a boatbuilder to be safe and good luck

LeE ss13
02-28-2003, 07:33 AM
OK ... here's what happened to me. In '95, APBA said that all SS, PS, and K-Boats would have to have floatation for the '96 season. I was having a new installation done on my Biesemeyer at the time by Tom L. at Auto Marine Engineering in Glendora CA. He covered the inside sides of the boat with aluminum and took the boat to Hallett and had the sides filled with foam. It cost a couple of hundred dollars at the time but I think it is well worth it too know that if anything happens (ie: flip, hole in hull, etc.) I won't have to pay $400 to $1,000 to have someone pull it off the bottom. After learning last year that Castaic was 300 feet deep, I wouldn't concider riding on a lake like that without knowing the boat had floatation in it. My $.02
P.S. In tipical APBA fashion, they dropped that requirement the next year.

HOSS
02-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Tuff Stuff at Home depot. What it cause it expands. EX: when doing a floor have a fill hole and vent hole. At least 1.25. It does not absorb water. In fact it is water repellant.
To give you an idea of just how strong this shit is, I amlost blew the bricks off my house when using it after installing storm windows.
[ February 28, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Thunderbutt
02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
If you just want the boat to float so it issn't lost to the bottom. Take 3 or 4 truck tire innertubs and put them in the bowl pass the last cross member and blow them up. Seal any holes that will leak air. The boat will float bowl up. It worked for me twice

HOSS
02-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Sorry, uhhhh what was that Thunder? eek!

LUVNLIFE
03-01-2003, 08:01 PM
I had a19' Eliminator Daytona and Richardson Composits did the sponsons for me. They are in Lancaster, they do alot of aerospace work, exotic stuff. I can get you the number if you are interested.