PDA

View Full Version : calif dmv can suck

bighead
11-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I found out another way the great state of California has a way of wasting some more of my time and money,I took my 77 blazer to the dmv today to get it registered in calif after spending its whole happy life in arizona, it had passed the smog with flying colors already, I had taken the top off for fun and the lady at dmv would not register it unless we took it down to get it weighed and changed the title to show it as a pickup and not a suv/station wagon because she said it could now be used to haul cargo! WTF.Now along with this additional fee to pay and a different insurance rate to go with it I was not happy. We asked her would this not cause us problems down the road because it is a BLAZER had always been one and not a pickup especially if we were to ever get pulled over and the observant officer noticed it was a blazer and not a pickup I would probably get arrtested for false registration or some other thing that this sh..hole state can dream up to screw me somehow again. What about a convertible with the top down I asked, no good answer here except she said if I were to put the top on and then register it as a blazer and not a pickup and then ever took the top off I could get cited for that also. So all of you who own a Blazer, Bronco,Scout,Fourrunner or anything else with a removable top better watch out.I will be taking it home and bolting the top on just to register it as a Blazer.Funny thing is I have never removed the top on this Blazer and have owned it ten years but since I have two of them thought it would be fun to have one without the top. So much for fun in here today. I feel better just bitching to you all out there thank you so much.

nhbuoy
11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
...the DMV people take the same PR course as the IRS...BOTH are run like well-oiled machines... :rolleyes: ...& they are SOOOO friendly, helpful, & knowledgeable...

wanna B V
11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Id say you got porked. That bimbo at the dmv was stoopid!! A blazer doesnt have a pickup bed. Its the same as a convertible car or jeep w/ a rag top. I would complain to another dmv office, your reg and insurance will be higher otherwise.

bighead
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I will just put the top back on for now, I learned it is useless to debate with any of these people and if I do they will probably find some other way to screw me around.

Jyruiz
11-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear you moved to this (CA) state.

Caribbean Jet
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I ran into a similar situation but with a new SUV/truck. I purchased a Explorer Sport Trac when they first came out. When the first registration was due I got a fine because this was registered as a SUV and not a truck. I had to fight with the dealer for them to suck up the fine. They ended up agreeing that it was there fault and corrected it.

DMVQUEEN
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Every DMV is different, (go figure) take it to another DMV with the top on,
don't say anything about the other DMV, register as a Non Commercial vehicle, and if you feel like taking the top off one day, don't worry, cops will not pull you over just because you have non commercial plates on a Blazer with the top off. The lady at the DMV is just being ANAL.
Good luck.
And BTW, if the cops do ask you why you have non commercial plates on a Blazer with the top off, just tell them the DUMMIES at the DMV did it, not you, you only put on the plates that they give you DUH!!
Sara out

bighead
11-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Me too. Although the area in north calif I live in is beautiful and the citizens are nice too and most importantly the boating is awesome with my favorite ramp only six minutes away.

Ziggy
11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Since its the first time its being registered in the state make sure to register it as it should be...a passenger vehicle not a commercial vehicle(aka pick up).
I have a shell on my F350 and have it registered as a passenger vehicle thusly avoiding the weight fee of a commercial vehicle....all legal so long as I don't take the shell off(and be caught) to haul big stuff. My Cabover camper even qualifies.
Do yourself a favor and have the DMV(or CHP office) do a "Verification" with top on to stop any more confusions at the DMV as to what catagory your Blazer should fit.

beachdep
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Every DMV is different, (go figure) take it to another DMV with the top on,
don't say anything about the other DMV, register as a Non Commercial vehicle, and if you feel like taking the top off one day, don't worry, cops will not pull you over just because you have non commercial plates on a Blazer with the top off. The lady at the DMV is just being ANAL.
Good luck.
And BTW, if the cops do ask you why you have non commercial plates on a Blazer with the top off, just tell them the DUMMIES at the DMV did it, not you, you only put on the plates that they give you DUH!!
Exactly.....remember....DMV is a revenue based orginization. They are not law enforcement. Go figure, I have vehicle plates on my quad runner instead of a green sticker.

Ziggy
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM
The lady at the DMV is just being ANAL.
Sara out
When aren't they??? :hammer2: :hammer2: My poor wife deals with them on a daily/weekly basis....

beachdep
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Here is just an observation on how F-ed up CA DMV is.
I went to the AZ DMV in Lake Havasu to get an AZ ID. I waited no more than 5 minutes to see a clerk. After talking to clerk fo a few minutes and going over the application I walked over to a another window and took a picture. No more than 5 minutes I walked out of the DMV with my ID.
In CA even I had made an appointment I would have had to wait probably at least 1/2 hour to see a clerk. Wait another 1/2 hour to get my picture taken. And then told my ID would be mailed to my house in 4-8 weeks.
But if I was illegal it would only take me 5 minutes in McArthur Park to get a good quality drivers license, social security card, and resident alien card.

DMVQUEEN
11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Exactly.....remember....DMV is a revenue based orginization. They are not law enforcement. Go figure, I have vehicle plates on my quad runner instead of a green sticker.
Welcome to my world :)
I deal with these people EVERY DAY!!!!
I gave up trying to figure them out a long time ago.
It was either let it roll off me, or get an ulcer. :cry:
I chose rolling off me. :)
Sara out

Her454
11-07-2005, 01:50 PM
My poor wife deals with them on a daily/weekly basis....
..........The guys in the white coats would be taking me away if I had to deal with them on a regular basis.........
Everyone on this site knows how I feel about the DMV.................... :cry: :cry: