PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV or DISH for havasu

Kilrtoy
11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
What should I get...
I currently have cable and I am happy, but it does not have a lot of channels...
With that said, what is better and how is the service when things go wrong.........

JETEATER
11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I have a dish at home and one on the motorhome and love them.

Hallett
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Go with the dish i am very happy with the dish.
had cable for years when i got my 65" tv switched
to dish way nicer.

HocusPocus
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
i have had direct tv since they first came out.. and i really like it! i picked up a second dish for the havasu house and just take my home box with me when we go.

Kilrtoy
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
How is the service when things go wrong....
Do they take care of you right away

JETEATER
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I have not had any thing go wrong in four years.

pixilatedpussy
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
What should I get...
I currently have cable and I am happy, but it does not have a lot of channels...
With that said, what is better and how is the service when things go wrong.........
We have Dish Network at our river house! Pretty good channels.......it gets expensive & the remote is confusing, but......lots of channels! :D

HocusPocus
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
How is the service when things go wrong....
Do they take care of you right away
we have always had good luck dealing with their customer service on the few times we had to call in.

JETEATER
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Look we posted at the same time ha ha

Kilrtoy
11-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Now does someone come out and install all of this or do I have to do all this myself, I am a YUPPIE afterall. I dont work on anything other than getting hot women naked.... :boxed:
PP can you explain expensive...
I can get digital cable and high speed internet from NPG for 89 a month.....

JETEATER
11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
ya what they said ,we have directv. but if you take your box you have you home stations.

pixilatedpussy
11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Now does someone come out and install all of this or do I have to do all this myself, I am a YUPPIE afterall. I dont work on anything other than getting hot women naked.... :boxed:
PP can you explain expensive...
I can get digital cable and high speed internet from NPG for 89 a month.....
We ordered the Super Dish.......Since we are in the tri state area....we are between satelites.......go figure (that explains my cell service)...but anyways, aguy came out & installed it. Kinda cool...we only needed two boxes to run all the rooms.Right now we only have 4 TV's hooked up to it...soon to be 5. Some work off wireless remote to the other boxes. :hammerhea Hope I am not confusing you. :220v: But my first bill was a hundred bucks! :220v: :220v: :skull:

HocusPocus
11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
http://directv.com/DTVAPP/index.jsp
their website will give you all the prices for the various packages and they can send someone out to install it.. we did ours on our own and it wasn't that tough. :) thank goodness the wife can read instructions.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I have NPG cable in Havasu.....
I really only need it for the cable modem....
I don't have a phone is Havasu, so no DSL....
Go with the dish unless you need the cable modem.
Later,
CJG
P.S.
Don't forget to go out and vote tomorrow.......
We need to win so Miguel cant afford the DISH!!!
Hehehehehe!!!!

bunny 166
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
DirecTV works great for us...Darrin installed it with his friend Jeff...I have never called for any kind of service because nothing has gone wrong. We have had it 2 1/2 years. I have only received 2 calls from them soliciting upgrades, etc, so they won't bug the crap out of you! Very happy with them... :D

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:15 PM
What should I get...
It depends whats more important to you.
If TV is your priority, then Dish - No OLN on cable out here :frown:
If Internet service is your priority, then cable

Kilrtoy
11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
A monkey with a ladder and a few basic hand tools could install the dish.
See i'm already beat right there..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
SK see i want Cable and i want the OLN channel also...
DAMN Im screwed....
SNS...
Little side wager on dinner at Casa Fernandez, Loser buys....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-07-2005, 08:19 PM
SNS...
Little side wager on dinner at Casa Fernandez, Loser buys....
Deal!
:D

Bling Bling
11-07-2005, 08:22 PM
What should I get...
Hey tight wad, maybe if ya spent the extra 20 bucks more for the deluxe cable package, you would get more channels. You outboard guys kill me. :D :D

JetBoatRich
11-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I have both at my house and no complaints with either service. I installed everything and never had a service call for the dish or cable. Digital, TIVO and on-demand pretty much comes with on both systems and may come down to price. The cable company has high speed packages with digital :squiggle:

Havasu Hangin'
11-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey tight wad, maybe if ya spent the extra 20 bucks more for the delux cable package, you would get more channels. You outboard guys kill me. :D :D
:supp:

Boatcop
11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
It depends whats more important to you.
If TV is your priority, then Dish - No OLN on cable out here :frown:
If Internet service is your priority, then cable
I've got both. Direct TV for my viewing pleasure and NPG Cable for my Internet. Cable internet is actually cheaper when you figure in the second phone line, hosting services and other charges from Red River.(No DSL in Parker) Plus I have screaming fast internet (800-1,000 Mbs, rather than the 36K I got from dial up (on a good day) With all the RedRiver stuff & extra phone line, I was paying around 58 dollars a month. Now I'm only paying $49 for NPG.
I've had DTV for about 7 years, and have only had a few outages when the monsoon rains are right on top of us, and interfere with signal. Never more that a few minutes at a time.
Check for Direct TV specials for new subscribers. They usually offer free equipment, free install, and free enhanced services. (I got NFL Sunday ticket free for a year when I first signed up)

Kilrtoy
11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey tight wad, maybe if ya spent the extra 20 bucks more for the deluxe cable package, you would get more channels. You outboard guys kill me. :D :D
Listen here BIG DADDY WARBUCKS... I only have one B in my name i cant afford the second one...
I already upgraded the package to the moon, but I found out it does not have the OLN channel....I need my weekly fix of Erica....

Ultrafied
11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Klr .... DirecTV has been and still is great. I've had it since they started (before it was just one company). Have it at my house here and at Havasu. Never any problems.
Since you would be a new customer, you can order receiver and dish, plus have it installed for a minimal charge (i.e. $49 after the rebates, this would even go for the receiver with Tivo built in). Packages start at $41.99 (135 channels), $45.99 (155 channels plus the local channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC), or $93.99 (215 channels and the "premium channels like HBO, StarZ, Cinnemax and Showtime).
If you were to get the receiver with Tivo in it, there would be another $5.95 per month charge. This can be ordered from DirecTV itself. They will require a 2 year commitment, but don't worry, the fine print states quitting before the commitment ends, you just have to return the equipment, that's all.
Like SWB said though, if you can drill 4 holes to mount the dish, run coax and drill a hole into your house, that's about the extent of any technical knowledge to get these things to work. If want any help, let me know, isn't difficult. I have put up 3 of my own, plus a lot of my friends.

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:51 PM
I've got both. Direct TV for my viewing pleasure and NPG Cable for my Internet. Cable internet is actually cheaper when you figure in the second phone line, hosting services and other charges from Red River.(No DSL in Parker) Plus I have screaming fast internet (800-1,000 Mbs, rather than the 36K I got from dial up (on a good day) With all the RedRiver stuff & extra phone line, I was paying around 58 dollars a month. Now I'm only paying $49 for NPG.
I've had DTV for about 7 years, and have only had a few outages when the monsoon rains are right on top of us, and interfere with signal. Never more that a few minutes at a time.
Check for Direct TV specials for new subscribers. They usually offer free equipment, free install, and free enhanced services. (I got NFL Sunday ticket free for a year when I first signed up)
Yes the cable internet is the deal out here, I went with the 1m up and 1m down service with NPG, it moves good. 10meg a minute min. easy through e-mail. thats a big deal for me with 20meg house plans
The NPG TV service is ok, what makes up for it is the 30 or so digital music channels

pixilatedpussy
11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
or $93.99 (215 channels and the "premium channels like HBO, StarZ, Cinnemax and Showtime).
Thats what I got!!! See ..expensive! But well worth it to me! :D

Havasu1986
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
We have Direct t.v. here in Y.L. and it's linked to Havasu. I have 2 boxes there 1 in house and 1 in garage for $10 a month extra. That way I get the L.A. chanels for the Angel games. Buy a extra box to much of a pain dragging box and remote back and forth.

Waldo
11-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Klr .... DirecTV has been and still is great. I've had it since they started (before it was just one company). Have it at my house here and at Havasu. Never any problems.
Since you would be a new customer, you can order receiver and dish, plus have it installed for a minimal charge (i.e. $49 after the rebates, this would even go for the receiver with Tivo built in). Packages start at $41.99 (135 channels), $45.99 (155 channels plus the local channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC), or $93.99 (215 channels and the "premium channels like HBO, StarZ, Cinnemax and Showtime).
If you were to get the receiver with Tivo in it, there would be another $5.95 per month charge. This can be ordered from DirecTV itself. They will require a 2 year commitment, but don't worry, the fine print states quitting before the commitment ends, you just have to return the equipment, that's all.
Like SWB said though, if you can drill 4 holes to mount the dish, run coax and drill a hole into your house, that's about the extent of any technical knowledge to get these things to work. If want any help, let me know, isn't difficult. I have put up 3 of my own, plus a lot of my friends.
Kilr...this is exactly what I just signed up for and am doing.
I will have 4 rooms at my primary residence and two rooms set up at the river...only paying $65.00/mo for 160 channels or so, including locals. I currently pay $100/mo for cable at both places (combined). The components and install are free here and I will hook up my own sat, run my own coax (probably just tap into existing), and use two boxes given to me out at the river. To boot, you can get those illegal cards and have access to ALL channels...just bring your card(s) to and fro. :devil:
Good luck.

RiverRatMike
11-08-2005, 12:39 AM
forget satellite it's just a rip off and had it here at my home in Havasu for a year and hated it. I have NPG/Cable vision now and its just as good and tons cheaper.

Boatcop
11-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Alan, do you know if that NPG cable internet is available across the river? Big Bend specifically? I've heard rumors, but I can't confirm it. I don't have cable out there, but it's run to my trailer. I've even heard that it's turned on, I've just never had the need to hook it up.
NPG has the cable monopoly for both sides of the River, and since it's run through existing cable TV wires, any place with NPG cable can get NPG Internet. (They call it "Cheetah")
When I converted they that had a special going on and were giving away the cable modem free. No rental, no charge, nothing. It's normally about $100.00 to buy it outright, or around 10 bucks a month to rent. You can find the identical modems on ebay for around 20 dollars or so. I'd go that route instead of using NPGs equipment. Much cheaper.

SCUBA STEVE
11-08-2005, 06:02 AM
DIRECTV, enough said. :D

MagicMtnDan
11-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Why don't you ask your union what's best? :D
Make a phone call and you'll get a highly trained :rolleyes: installer to come out to your hacienda.
http://www.californiaspaceauthority.org/images/events/directv.jpg
You'll get plenty of channels and PPV:
http://www.dishmasters.net/pics/channels2.png
http://www.thebeststuffontheinternet.com/images/directv.jpg

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Why don't you ask your union what's best? :D
Make a phone call and you'll get a highly trained :rolleyes: installer to come out to your hacienda.
I did and they sent over guido with a chipped black box and a chipped dish.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
DirectTv and you can get all of the LA channels.

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I have NPG at Havasu, mostly because of internet. Otherwise I would have gone with Direct. It sucks for me because NPG doesn't get OLN. I'll be there this weekend and will miss episode 2.
TWO EPISODES......
this is alot to digest... Thanks for all of your imput, now i need to weed thru it and figure out what is best

SCUBA STEVE
11-09-2005, 03:01 AM
TWO EPISODES......
this is alot to digest... Thanks for all of your imput, now i need to weed thru it and figure out what is best
Best or cheapest? :rollside:

Flying Tiger
11-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Nice thing about dish or direct, you can have in in the RV too, same account.
Seems like it has a better signal than cable. Cleaner, sharper, more reliable, less sparkle with sat.