PDA

View Full Version : Looking for USCC regs on OTT exhaust

1968Droptop
05-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I've been told that over the transon exhaust is legal for boats that had it from the factory. I'm trying to find the CC regs that state this. I seached the CC web site with no luck. Anyone have a kink that can help me out ? Thanks !!!!

502 JET
05-13-2006, 06:02 AM
I also heard this rumor regarding factory supplied OT exhaust.Regardless of what the USCG says your state laws would apply.There may be laws or regulations specific to the body of water you are looking to operate in.Here is a link to Washington States regulations.http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%20%2079A%20TITLE/RCW%20%2079A.%2060%20%20CHAPTER/RCW%20%2079A.%2060%20.130.htm
Last summer me and a bud were drifting down the Deleware river (in our jets with over the transom headers and open containers) and the USCG boat pulled up with a mounted machine gun.I guess we were lucky because all they were concerned with was that we seen the aproaching coal barge.They said nice boats and how fast do you run and then they pulled away.We both run wet exhaust and I have some home made mufflers in my bassets but my buddy has none.In the last two years running on the river I have seen both PA fish and boat comission and NJ state marine police countless times.They were more concerned with the jet skis.But this will all change this year as all operators of any vessel will be required to posses a boaters saftey certificate.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-13-2006, 06:11 AM
The US Coast Guard has no regs on exhaust that I have ever found. I grew up on Puget Sound and the Coast Guard boats were the noiseist. They address safety not noise or exhaust equipment. All rules and regulations are state mandated with guidance from info from " The Society of Automobile Engineers". All Bullshit! BL

Boatcop
05-13-2006, 06:39 AM
No State regulations, that I know of, prohibit OTT headers/exhaust as long as they have a "muffling device" installed and don't exeed the State's noise level limit.
Muffling device can be any system, from mufflers and inserts to water injected headers, and even turbo chargers can effectively reduce exhaust noise levels.
California, and possibly some other states have graduated noise levels, based upon the year the engine was manufactured. Not the boat. The engine has to be "as built" at the time of manufacture, with no modifications or add-ons.
There may be some Lakes out there under local control that prohibit OTTs, but Wicked is right. The Coast Guard does not regulate noise or exhaust systems.

1968Droptop
05-13-2006, 07:10 AM
I was under the impression that OTT pipes were getting to be more and more of a problem. If you had them, your looking to get hasled. But my boat came from the factory that way, and I sure as hell don't want to cut holes in my boat to get rid of them ! Your replies make sense though, a muffling device is probably more important for an officer to see/hear. I was just trying to stay one up on 5-0 if I got hassled by being able to quote some CC reg stating my pipes are OK. As usual, I outsmarted myself :rolleyes:
502 JET: MACHINE GUNS ? I bet that got your attention in a hurry !!!!
Boatcop: I personally am glad you post in this forum. I've read some of your postings and find them to be quite informative. It's nice to have someone with the correct answers about the laws governing our waterways, not just speculation.
Thanks for the replies guys !

JETBOY03
05-13-2006, 07:15 AM
that is why we boat the river, we never have been hassled. and in my opinion it is the best place to boat on the west side of the mts. if the cop are on the lake today we may get stoped just because there should be a bunch of us running ott's but i dont think we will have a problem.

b's sanger
05-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I have the Bassett muffler inserts in mine. All in all, they're not that loud and haven't been hasseled yet.

1978 Rogers
05-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I got talked to a couple years ago at Lake Roosevelt about noice regs on state parks. The rangers are going to start enforcing a noice ord. that was pasted a while ago. Who knows. I had a link to it, I'll try and find it again. I believe it was WA ordinance. I don't remember.
Just go out with someone louder than you. That will take away the attention from you. Tony & Tony could probably do this quite will.
Kinda like that old saying, you only have to run as fast as the slowest guy to get away from the cops. :)

Wicked Performance Boats
05-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree with boatcop posting on here. I think his imput is needed and wanted. That said, Nowhere in the states have I ever read that water to headers is considered a muffling device. Matter of fact, I've been told by more cops that it isn't! Arizona is the only place I 've hear that from a cop that water isn't considered a muffling device BUT they accept it as an effort to quiet your boat down. They says it quiets it down but is not a device. I believe it is a device, as a device is a mechanical means to produce a result. That said. Let her rip. I'm sure to have opened a BIG discussion. Budlight

502 JET
05-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Kinda like that old saying, you only have to run as fast as the slowest guy to get away from the cops. :)
I know you are only kidding but take a look at this excerpt from the Washington state regulations.http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%20%2079A%20TITLE/RCW%20%2079A.%2060%20%20CHAPTER/RCW%20%2079A.%2060%20.090.htm

1968Droptop
05-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. I'm guessing I may lose that one :argue: . But it is a valid point. It's got to help some, better than nothing. For now I'll just enjoy the music my engine is making w/o them see what happens.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. It's ok, you can't get a ticket on the internet!!!!!! BL

1968Droptop
05-14-2006, 09:45 AM
It's ok, you can't get a ticket on the internet!!!!!! BL
But with some of the postings I've read in the past you should be able to..........

gregr1971
05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
get with taylormanss(Randall Ross), he is employed with the coast guard, he may be able to answer your question.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 05:12 PM
get with taylormanss(Randall Ross), he is employed with the coast guard, he may be able to answer your question.
Didn't you read the posts by boatcop {but Wicked is right. The CO\oast Guard does not regulate noise or exhaust systems.} BL

Boatcop
05-14-2006, 05:22 PM
And I spent 28 years with the Coast Guard, 10 of those in the Boating Safety arena.

gregr1971
05-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Didn't you read the posts by boatcop {but Wicked is right. The CO\oast Guard does not regulate noise or exhaust systems.} BL
i must have overlooked it- sorry

502 JET
05-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Not sure if I want to get in a discussion about water being a muffling "device" with Jonny Law. I'm guessing I may lose that one :argue: . But it is a valid point. It's got to help some, better than nothing. For now I'll just enjoy the music my engine is making w/o them see what happens.
If you dont want to I will.Water is not a "device".It is a "Binary Compound".(you gotta love that Google search}
I made some home made muffling devices that consist of a 3" X 1/4" aluminum plate that I drilled a bunch of holes in cut it in half and welded a tab on each one and bolted them in my Bassets.This did nothing at all.I then took some mesh expanded steel and rolled it up doubled 10" long and put this in each header with the drilled aluminum half moon plates.When I ran it was a lot quieter at idle and did not loose anything on the top end.If I get stopped the law can clearly see I have a muffling "device".The law does not state that it must be commercially available dont think I would pass a DB test in any state but they may be the difference between a ticket and a (have a nice day boat safely).I also run water in my headers but not for noise reduction but to keep the chrome on them.

Boatcop
05-14-2006, 07:19 PM
The following phrase (in bold) is actually written into the Arizona law:
5-336. Muffling devices
A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section.
So other than the title (Muffling devices), the statute doesn't mention the requirement for a "device", rather it specifically states "effective equipment", which water injected headers qualifies as.
If an Arizona Officer says that water injected headers don't meet the provisions of the law, he wasn't paying attention in class.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 07:24 PM
A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
What is sub section C? Budlight

Boatcop
05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
What is sub section C? Budlight
A long winded paragraph that exempts boats actually participating in a sanctioned race, and those which get "tuning" permits from the AZGFD.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you.

Danhercules
05-15-2006, 07:38 AM
I look at it like this.
If you run dry with no baffels, ( no intent for being quiet) and run full throttle all day making speed passes and acting like a jack@$$, I feel you will get pulled over for noise and cited.
If you run water, and baffels (intent on being quiet) and drive like a normal person, not sticking out like a sore thumb, you wont be herassed unless you do somthing stupid.
With my 18', I ran baffels in Parker and Laughlin, any where else, I was open. I have NEVER been pulled over for noise. Heck, never pulled over. I have gone by a "safty Checkpoint" and the pulled me in and did their thing. I was drinking O'Douls so that was not a problem.

GUGS102
05-15-2006, 08:58 AM
I get a kick out of the boating sound regs. Yesterday a harley with straight pipes went flying by and my ears rang for 2 stoplights. Usually in a marine enviroment I have plenty of room to manuver, in traffic, got about 50 feet. Anyway I'm sure they are regs for bikes, cars, stereos etc. I like my tunes, the small block in the car and headers on a BBC, but all in moderation.
We have a boat that would not meet any regs, dry ceramic coated OTs and ear plugs. I have asked the LE at the lakes we go to in AZ and they indicated that as long as you have water to them they don't mind. He said they have too may jet skis to worry about. Me too I thought, worse than oriental old lady drivers. If all you can see is blue hair and knuckles in the car in front of you look out!!
Gugs

Devilman
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I look at it like this.
If you run dry with no baffels, ( no intent for being quiet) and run full throttle all day making speed passes and acting like a jack@$$, I feel you will get pulled over for noise and cited.
If you run water, and baffels (intent on being quiet) and drive like a normal person, not sticking out like a sore thumb, you wont be herassed unless you do somthing stupid.
With my 18', I ran baffels in Parker and Laughlin, any where else, I was open. I have NEVER been pulled over for noise. Heck, never pulled over. I have gone by a "safty Checkpoint" and the pulled me in and did their thing. I was drinking O'Douls so that was not a problem.
That being the key factor, I'd be willing to venture.... :cool:

1968Droptop
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM
This has been an intersting topic with lots of interesting replies. I'm running 'em wet w/o baffles this year. I think that what makes the most sense is how you act on the water. We went out this past saturday (1st time this year WAHOO) and had a great time. 5 jets and 2 egg beaters. 4 of the 5 jets were unbaffled. We did our share of quick speed spurts, but we also did our share of floating and bullshitting. When we traveled to a different part of the lake it was at 3500 RPM's or so, not WFO the entire time. Had no troubles at all. I'll stick with the water injection and see what happens....................

b's sanger
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
To my knowledge, without research, just told by the patrol boat boys, is that water by itself is not an adequate noise reducing device. Again this is good old California.