PDA

View Full Version : More 5 O's On The Water

fasthtm
05-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Sheriff's office adds four boats to beef up safety on river
By DAVID BELL
Friday, May 12, 2006 11:06 PM MDT
News-Herald Photo/David Bell Three new Boston Whaler Justice Patrol Boats lead the Mohave County Sheriff's Office fleet on a tour of Lake Havasu.
Four new boats are patrolling the busiest waterway in Arizona.
The Mohave County Sheriff's Office debuted four new Boston Whaler Justice Patrol Boats on Lake Havasu Thursday, with three of the boats to remain on the lake. The fourth boat is headed to Lake Mead.
“These boats are just another example of our commitment to safety on the water and in our communities,” said Sheriff Tom Sheahan.
The boats were obtained entirely through grant funds obtained by the Sheriff's Office through the State Lake Improvement Fund. Sheahan credited Lt. Randy Johnson and Sgt. Doug Schuster with securing the grants. The pair put in the application in December 2004 and made the boat order in November 2005.
“We took delivery of the first boat the first week of March 2006,” said Johnson. “They expedited it so we could get our training in on the new vessels before the boating season begins.”
The Sheriff's Office now has a fleet of 12 boats on Lake Havasu, one boat to patrol the Colorado River south of Lake Mohave and two boats on Lake Mead. A total of 25 deputies from throughout the county are trained on water patrol and boat operations and are deployed to Lake Havasu for holiday and busy weekends. They're joined by 50 boating safety officers, volunteers that assist the Sheriff's Office on the water. Fifteen are stationed on Lake Mead and 35 on Lake Havasu.
“We always have at least two men on each boat for safety,” said Sheahan. “One operates the boat while the other deals with the boaters they contact. On really busy weekends, like Memorial Day, the boating safety officers will operate the patrol boat and that lets the two deputies make contact and take someone into custody if they need to.”
The new boats can hold up to 12 people, however, Johnson said deputies rarely have to take more than two into custody at one time.
Don Ellingsen, west coast account manager for Edgewater, Fla., boat manufacturer Brunswick Commercial and Government Products, said the vessels have a top speed of about 60 miles per hour and an upgraded electronics package - including sonar, radar and gps - was included in the purchase. The Sheriff's Office used other vendors to obtain the twin Mercury 220 Optimax engines on each boat, the emergency light system and radios. Total cost of the four boats was about $440,000.
“We're very pleased with the area and the people here. We like to keep them safe and allow them to complete their mission,” Ellingsen said.
In addition to the four new Whalers obtained by the Mohave County Sheriff's Office, Brunswick has supplied two Whalers to San Bernardino County, one to the Bureau of Land Management, another to Clark County in Laughlin and a 24-footer is pending to the Lake Havasu City Police.
The boating debut Thursday wasn't just a shakeout of the vessels, Brunswick used the opportunity to photograph the Sheriff's Office boats in operation for use in the company's product catalogue. Helping secure aerial photos of the boats was the Native Air helicopter.
The three Whalers staying on Lake Havasu replace two 1989 Whalers that constituted the entire flotilla for the Sheriff's Office just a few years ago. A third boat on Lake Mead also is being retired. The Sheriff's Office has donated older boats to other public safety agencies in the past, however there has been no word yet on the disposition of the newly retired vessels.
- The reporter may be contacted at dbell@havasunews.com

Wicky
05-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Looks like 4 times the amount of citations to me!!!!$$$$$$$$$
Don't forget about building the new jail to house all those violaters.$$$$$$$
Registration will double in the next couple of years.$$$$$$$
Mark my words. :argue:
Mow,
Wicky

THATJEFFGUY
05-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Don Ellingsen, west coast account manager for Edgewater, Fla., boat manufacturer Brunswick Commercial and Government Products, said the vessels have a top speed of about 60 miles per hour
60 mph...that's all ? They should be pretty easy to outrun. Wonder how long it's gonna take before we start seeing pursuits on the water ? :D

Ultracrazy
05-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Looks like 4 times the amount of citations to me!!!!$$$$$$$$$
Don't forget about building the new jail to house all those violaters.$$$$$$$
Registration will double in the next couple of years.$$$$$$$
Mark my words. :argue:
Mow,
Wicky
And? What's your point? If your not doing anything wrong you won't have to worry about it right? God forbid you ever need help and have to use their services.
UC

centurion tunnel
05-13-2006, 08:06 AM
60 mph...that's all ? They should be pretty easy to outrun. Wonder how long it's gonna take before we start seeing pursuits on the water ? :D
Thats the same thing I was thinking.....Could you just imagine news coopters flying over the lake saying (Breaking news from Havasu) We have a high speed chase....lol.

Wicky
05-13-2006, 09:28 AM
And? What's your point? If your not doing anything wrong you won't have to worry about it right? God forbid you ever need help and have to use their services.
UC
Why not have an EMS boat??? Makes more sense to me!!! But hey, they don't generate revenue like the po po do they??

Ultracrazy
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Why not have an EMS boat??? Makes more sense to me!!! But hey, they don't generate revenue like the po po do they??
Most cops are EMS trained..........and...........they would be able to dispatch them if needed.

Wicky
05-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Most cops are EMS trained..........and...........they would be able to dispatch them if needed.
Yep!!! And I bet those Whalers have all the same equipment as an ambulance does. Duhhhhhh...then
can I tend the wabbits George??? :rollside:
I guess you don't understand the concept of time where seconds count to save a life.
How many times have you seen a TA where the cop car takes the injured to the hospital from the crash site? :)
Cops specialize in law enforcement.
EMS specialize in saving lives.
Would you go to the Honda dealer to get your HD Duramax Chevy worked on?
Sure, the Honda mechanic could eventually fix the Chevy but, he would lack tools and the knowledge of completing the job in a timely manner.
When it comes to saving human lives, sometimes there isn't enough time to look it up in the manual.
Next time your bleeding to death, make sure you call a cop in a unit to come and take you to the hospital.
I know somebody will say the EMS will ride along in the Whaler and bring some equipment but, when time is of the essence, I would rather have three of those four LE boats be full time floating ambulances.
Only problem is they don't generate cash by writing tickets
and it's not cheap to run an ambulance service as we all know.