PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing hardwood floors

Flip
11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Anyone had their hardwood floors refinished? I'm looking for some references to have someone come in and do ours.

Squirtin Thunder
11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
That is an art. I mean some do the job and others are insainly adicted to they way a floor is done. Wood and finish is a fine balance. I spent most of my summers in high school working for a small finishing shop. One trait I would look for is love of wood, almost an obsecion. Find a small shop. That is my recomondation.

Jacamo
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
That is an art. I mean some do the job and others are insainly adicted to they way a floor is done. Wood and finish is a fine balance. I spent most of my summers in high school working for a small finishing shop. One trait I would look for is love of wood, almost an obsecion. Find a small shop. That is my recomondation.
Sounds like you have a love for wood :D :lightsabe !!!

pixilatedpussy
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Anyone had their hardwood floors refinished? I'm looking for some references to have someone come in and do ours.
Check your Pm's! :redface:

pixilatedpussy
11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Sounds like you have a love for wood :D :lightsabe !!!
I have a love for wood..... :) But I dont know how to resurface it!!!! LOL! :smile:

Flip
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Check your Pm's! :redface:
Thanks Tina!

phebus
11-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I have a love for wood..... :) But I dont know how to resurface it!!!! LOL! :smile:
I like the traditional "hand rubbed" finish. :lightsabe :)

riverroyal
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
nice one phebus,get some new meds? :D

pixilatedpussy
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Oh...I am good at that!!! A perfectionist if you will! :220v: :p

pixilatedpussy
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks Tina!
:clover: You are welcome! :redface:

Squirtin Thunder
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I like vergin wood, fresh never stained or finished. Much easier to work with. All the strippers and sanding is tons of work and very costly. I am also a fan of the natural look of the wood vs a grain covering stain.

riverracerx
11-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I refinished hardwood floors in college. What a bitch of a job that was. Ughhh!
You can really screw them up easily with the orbital sander. Actually if you accidentally let go of the sander it spins around and punches a big hole in the wall with the handle.....or so I am told! :p
Everyone wanted white-wash back then. Horrible.

blown428fe
11-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Could someone tell me what you are paying per foot for refinishing out west?

Flip
11-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Could someone tell me what you are paying per foot for refinishing out west?
Yeah, me too... :D

CenCal
11-08-2005, 07:14 PM
In the middle of putting in a hardwood stair case. Put in the upper hallway also a few months ago. Never did this on my own :2purples: . Helped a friend of mine do a few jobs. He has a hardwood floor business in Tucson. It's turning out real nice but it has been a bitch :hammerhea . Now ready to put the finish on. I plan to sand sand sand! Then fill in the small cracks with a mixture of saw dust and fast drying polyurethane. Then sand sand and sand. Clean the wood on put 2-3 coats of polyurethane and leave the house or a day or two. My friend and i did our up stairs living room like this several years ago and it turned out real nice :)

blown428fe
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Cencal- Did You Put In Oak Or What? Do You Know What Your Friend Charges To Refinsh?

blown428fe
11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
HERES HOW WE SAND SAND SAND.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_027-med.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_026-med.jpg

BOBALOO
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
I am in so cal and last year had 3 estimates to refinish about 750 sq ft. The high estimate was about 2400 and the low was about 1400. I went with the middle one at 1650 with some repaired strips. This was white oak with 3 coats of poly and I already had the floor mouldings removed to replace them. It took 3 days. The guys I used stay pretty local to where I live and were kind of flakey on when they showed up, so I wouldn't recommend them for where you are. I recommended them to a buddy and they toook 3 weeks to get back :hammerhea
Good luck finding someone. Ask your neighbors if you know any that have had their floors done.
The worst part is moving EVERYTHING out of your house.

Badburn
11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I am the owner of Central Valley Floor Design in El Dorado Hills, CA. Dont know where you are located, but I may be able to help. We specialize in high end exotic hardwoods, and refinishing too. I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any.

BajaMike
11-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I am the owner of Central Valley Floor Design in El Dorado Hills, CA. Dont know where you are located, but I may be able to help. We specialize in high end exotic hardwoods, and refinishing too. I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any.
What do you think of bamboo floors??? Are some brands better then others??
:confused:

blown428fe
11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Bamboo flooring was hot for a while here in the Northeast but seems to be dying out. People either love it or hate it. This little diamond is carbonized Bamboo witch is a little darker than uncarbonized.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_011-med.jpg

Badburn
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
What do you think of bamboo floors??? Are some brands better then others??
:confused:
I dont much care for bamboo, it is not as hard as originally thought, and is very prone to water damage, it has been a craze here too, but its dying off . I think pretty much all bamboo comes from the same place, some companies are buying it and trying to dye it different colors. From my experience, it only works well as a floor in perfect conditions, as in light traffic, and a consistent and fairly dry environment.

rodnjen
11-09-2005, 07:41 PM
We used Admire Hardwood Floors in Fullerton, very nice job and very fair.

CenCal
11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Cencal- Did You Put In Oak Or What? Do You Know What Your Friend Charges To Refinsh?
The in lay of the stairs is Brazilian cherry, the nose piece and trim is oak. The hall is oak with a runner of brazilian cherry down the middle. Not sure with he charges for refinishings. Gave me the numbers and i'll find out.