PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sending Guage

WETDAWG
04-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Help,
I have just installed two new sending units and a new fuel guage in my boat. Now I am trying to figure out how to read from each tank.
I think I should install a "flip" switch (like on a place diverter) and hook up the ground wire from each guage to either side. but when in the "neutal" position I would not get a reading
Or should I just install a two way toggle switch and hook up the wires the same way.
Am I on the right Track ? frown
[ April 13, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: WETDAWG ]

Sangster
04-13-2003, 01:28 PM
YUP......

Tunnel Vision 110
04-13-2003, 01:47 PM
If you just want to switch between 2 sending units to a common gauge get a single pull/ double throw sw. You can also use a double pull/double throw sw. you'll just have 3 extra lugs.

Tunnel Vision 110
04-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Nice reply Sangsr!

WETDAWG
04-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks TV & Sangster,
I just need confirmation some days (either that or it's brain fade) :D

old rigger
04-13-2003, 06:23 PM
WETDAWG:
Help,
I have just installed two new sending units and a new fuel guage in my boat. Now I am trying to figure out how to read from each tank.
I think I should install a "flip" switch (like on a place diverter) and hook up the ground wire from each guage to either side. but when in the "neutal" position I would not get a reading
Or should I just install a two way toggle switch and hook up the wires the same way.
Am I on the right Track ? :( you don't want to hook up the grounds from each sending unit to the switch, you want the sending wire.
If you want, use a 6 pole toggle and also an electric fuel tank valve then you can switch from tank to tank and sending unit to sending unit with one flick of the switch.

Tunnel Vision 110
04-14-2003, 05:55 AM
I didn't catch that ground wire stuf,you are right old rigger! I was just saying what sw. to use so it wasn't momentary. Thanks Old Rigger. :D

WETDAWG
04-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks Old Rigger,
I wasn't sure which one to hook up but I was always told the ground was the safest?
You going to CCCB so I can thank you personally?

WETDAWG
04-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Well,
All is good :D
I put a momentary toggle and hooked up both Positive wires from the senders and it works great. :o It shows empty all the time unless I switch to either side. :o
I think I got the wrong switch (DUH) :mad:
GO Dale Jr!!