PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Ladies......

Her454
11-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's the deal. My mother passed away in 92 and left me some jewelry. One of the items was a ring that I don't particularly care for but my dad gave it to her when they were dating. Its the sentimental value...... I don't ever wear it and its in my jewelry box. My sister, who is a BIATCH - (and like MrsBoardsMenjay and her sister Im glad she does not read the boards) - saw it in my jewelry box and asked why I never wear it. I told her the reason and she flipped out on me (normal for her) saying that I should give it to her, or have it made in to something that I would wear.
My feeling is that its sentimental and should be left original even tho I dont care to wear it, and will give it to my daughter one day like my mom would have wanted... she thinks Im being stubborn and selfish and just don't want to give it to HER.
What would you do? Alter it to something you would wear or keep it for the sentimental value?

cxr133
11-09-2005, 03:20 PM
im not a lady...
but IMO:
it has sentimental value for you.. and not your kids so after your death they will (probbaly) sell it...lose it... give it away.
if it was me or my wife.. we would probably have it made it something else to make it yours.. then it would have sentimental value to you because it was your mothers.. and new sentimental value to your kids.. when you give it to them!!!

MAINEVENT
11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Not a female ;) but i too have a piece of jewelry that my mom gave to me GOD KNOWS I WILL NEVER WEAR it.....but it carries that same value, i say dont mess with it leave it as is and pass it on....

Mrs. casean
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I have all my moms jewlery from when she passed away in 1990. I dont' wear half of it... but won't ever get rid of it because like you said... the sentimental value it holds. If it was given to you to keep, it's for a reason. I'm the same w/ you... I'd keep it and give it to my daughter (if I have one). It's something you can hold on to and remember her by. I say keep it!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Ok, answer this question and it will determine if your sister deserves the ring or not.......does your sister have a mustache????? :D

Her454
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Ok, answer this question and it will determine if your sister deserves the ring or not.......does your sister have a mustache????? :D
ROTFLMFAO..........................YES SHE DOES but not to the extent of YOUR sisters! :D

Jbb
11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Does this piece of jewelry look good ..with say....flannel?....perhaps we should see it?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
ROTFLMFAO..........................YES SHE DOES but not to the extent of YOUR sisters! :D
Hey, lets take pics of our sister's mustaches and compare. hahahhaa

Mrs.Racer277
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Here's the deal. My mother passed away in 92 and left me some jewelry. One of the items was a ring that I don't particularly care for but my dad gave it to her when they were dating. Its the sentimental value...... I don't ever wear it and its in my jewelry box. My sister, who is a BIATCH - (and like MrsBoardsMenjay and her sister Im glad she does not read the boards) - saw it in my jewelry box and asked why I never wear it. I told her the reason and she flipped out on me (normal for her) saying that I should give it to her, or have it made in to something that I would wear.
My feeling is that its sentimental and should be left original even tho I dont care to wear it, and will give it to my daughter one day like my mom would have wanted... she thinks Im being stubborn and selfish and just don't want to give it to HER.
What would you do? Alter it to something you would wear or keep it for the sentimental value?
She is being stubborn and selfish. Don't tell her I said that please. :rolleyes:
Do not change any of it. It is a sentimental thing.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
While I'm not a female, it's safe to say you an your sister don't along so phuck her and keep it. Besides, your mom left it to you, not your sister. Whether or not you wear it does not matter, it's yours, not hers.

OnlyMoney
11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Sentimental value wins over personal taste every time....
And I'm a female, but I don't think this is a "sex" issue, just a human one. But I would hide it from your sister...soon.

Do F150's Float?
11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
My grandmother went through the same thing with her sister when their mother died (but it was over a tea set). My cousin had an eye on it...so my grandma told her sister she had already given it to my cousin, problem solved :)
See if there's a member of the family who likes it (and deserves it)...
For some reason...my initial reaction was "pawn it"...go figure :confused:

Kilrtoy
11-09-2005, 03:41 PM
I have an answer, but first I have a question...
WHY do you even waste your time talking to her?????

76ANTHONY
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
My grandmother went through the same thing with her sister when their mother died (but it was over a tea set). My cousin had an eye on it...so my grandma told her sister she had already given it to my cousin, problem solved :)
See if there's a member of the family who likes it (and deserves it)...
For some reason...my initial reaction was "pawn it"...go figure :confused:
come on zach she said for the ladies :D

lucky
11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
you can't pick your family , but you sure can fock with them :D

Do F150's Float?
11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
come on zach she said for the ladies :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_117.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZS')
shhh...you're gonna ruin my secret!!!!

76ANTHONY
11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_117.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZS')
shhh...you're gonna ruin my secret!!!!
:D :D :D

Her454
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
She is being stubborn and selfish. Don't tell her I said that please. :rolleyes:
Do not change any of it. It is a sentimental thing.
LOL, its not the sister you met so dont worry. :)

Her454
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Miguel, easier said than done. And actually I dont speak to her often but she is family. I've already gone rounds with this sister over taking my dads drivers license away before he passed away so its not a good relationship to say the least but my "daughter" had asked me the same thing so I was questioning my own sentimental selfishness I guess. :cry:
you can't pick your family , but you sure can fock with them :D
I'm going to post a pic of her mustache just to be mean. :rollside:

Kilrtoy
11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
If it really means that much to her, Let her have it...., You obviously dont care for it....

Do F150's Float?
11-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm going to post a pic of her mustache just to be mean. :rollside:
Can we start an entire thread of she-mustaches? I mean, it's really a bad phenomenon...and i don't know if the winter weather has anything to do with it, but i've see quite a few lately.... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_54.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZS')

Her454
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
If it really means that much to her, Let her have it...., You obviously dont care for it....
I do care for it, its the sentimental value. I dont care to "wear it". It reminds me of my mother and I know my mother would want my daughter to have it after I am gone. If she wanted my sister to have it she would have given it to her.
And it does not mean that much to her at all, just like my mother didn't. Its just something to bitch about and continue the chaos.
The question was to alter it or not............
Jeeez Kilr, get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Ziggy
11-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Your daughter is old enough to discuss this with and see if its something she'd like to cherrish later in life...if it seems she's uninterested then either give it up or have it remade into something both you and your daughter would be happy to have and pass along.
If you want to keep it for you own sentimental value of your mother then do that......

Kilrtoy
11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I do care for it, its the sentimental value. I dont care to "wear it". It reminds me of my mother and I know my mother would want my daughter to have it after I am gone. If she wanted my sister to have it she would have given it to her.
And it does not mean that much to her at all, just like my mother didn't. Its just something to bitch about and continue the chaos.
The question was to alter it or not............
Sorry, I am not meaning come off that way, Sorry It seemed that way.....
With that said, F-U-C-K her and drive on....

Her454
11-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Sorry, I am not meaning come off that way, Sorry It seemed that way.....
With that said, F-U-C-K her and drive on....
No problem Kilr - and I plan to do just that. ;)

TheLurker
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
To close today’s session of Ask The Lurker, You already know the answer and are looking for validation so here it is.
You’re doing the right thing. Your mother gave you the ring, which means you do with it what you, want. My personal opinion is I would want to keep it in its original state.
Your sister just wants to stir up trouble and the ring is a tool to do it with. Ignore her.

sxpilot
11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I'd slap her down and say get outa by grill biach!!!
no just kidding...
IMO if it was given to you then its non of her or anyones business...period..
just tell her to move on

FMluvswater
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd also not alter it and not budge either, Traci. It's yours to keep in your jewellery box. :D Selfish? I don't think so but even if ... so? Be selfish. It's still yours. Too bad so sad if she doesn't approve. :smile:

Debbolas
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I like the idea of saving the jewelry for your daughter........
My first husband (my first daughters father) died when I was pregnant with her, and it was a very special day when I was able to sit down with her on her 18th birthday and give her the ring he gave me along with his "crate" of stuff............... :clover:
My niece's mother passed away and their father had her jewelry melted down and made into necklaces and rings...2 out of 3 of them were unhappy.....
Follow your heart........... :D

Desert Rat
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Do what my sisters did with some on my late mothers jewelery. If the items have stones have them replaced into something you like, a bracelet, new ring or what ever.

slowinhavasuskid
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I dont think that you are being selfish at all. I also think that if you feel you would wear it more to alter it. I know that something from my mom and grandma would be very special to me and your daughter will be very lucky to get the original or altered version of the jewelry. :)

Mrs.Racer277
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
LOL, its not the sister you met so dont worry. :)
Oh thank goodness. :wink:

ECeptor
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
pawn it and put the $$$ into your boat budget!!! ;)
seriously, if the modifications are small I'd go that route. That way you can use it. If it's a major change, I'd just leave it alone.
BTW, I have the suit in which my dad married my mom nearly 45yrs ago. The jacket doesn't fit me (my Dad was a very big dude), but the pants fit me quite well. So I wear them for special occasions. My dad get's the biggest kick out of seeing me wear them.

Her454
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
BTW, I have the suit in which my dad married my mom nearly 45yrs ago. The jacket doesn't fit me (my Dad was a very big dude), but the pants fit me quite well. So I wear them for special occasions. My dad get's the biggest kick out of seeing me wear them.
hehehe, thats pretty cool. I had my moms wedding dress up until my house was robbed and the trunk it was in was stolen................ :(

missboatnam1
11-10-2005, 09:39 AM
traci, maybe get it boxed framed with a pic of your mom in dad or something and display it in your home....that is something to be handed down.... :redface:

Her454
11-10-2005, 09:51 AM
traci, maybe get it boxed framed with a pic of your mom in dad or something and display it in your home....that is something to be handed down.... :redface:
Tina, thats a great idea! Thanks- BTW, I was just looking through the pics this morning of our LA-X party LOL......... :) Sorry I missed you in Pomona, would have been nice to have a drink with you - ;)

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
What would you do?
I'd leave it in the jewelry box and make a point of bringing the topic up frequently when your sister is around. Why not enjoy watching her be upset?

Her454
11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I'd leave it in the jewelry box and make a point of bringing the topic up frequently when your sister is around. Why not enjoy watching her be upset?
In reality tho, having it out on display would equally upset her :)

Tom Brown
I agree with Kilr. If you have enough mementos of your mother, you could give it to sis and it would be a pleasant reminder of your mother, each time you see her. It might be a way to hate your sister's guts less. Surely this would be something your mother would like, were she around. This assumes your sister would wear it.
It's wonderful your mother gave it to you. She entrusted it to you but unless she told you to keep it forever, what you do with it is up to you. Love does best when passed on.
Did I just say I agree with Kilr?
Union Yes! http://www2.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif :D

Jbb
And always extinguish your cigarette's on her forehead.... :220v:

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 10:02 AM
And always extinguish your cigarette's on her forehead.... :220v:
This is why I'm such a smoking advocate. :D

Her454
11-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I agree with Kilr.
Did I just say I agree with Kilr?
:D
Tom Brown, I would deeply appreciate it if you would refrain from attempting to kiss Kilr's ass in my sentimental thread. :)

Jbb
11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Tom Brown, I would deeply appreciate it if you would refrain from attempting to kiss Kilr's ass in my sentimental thread. :)
Brown is a liberal suck up..... :D

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 10:10 AM
I've already used my, "Love does best when passed on." line so I guess I won't be posting again in this thread.

Jbb
11-10-2005, 10:13 AM
I've already used my, "Love does best when passed on." line so I guess I won't be posting again in this thread.
Go on Brown......show Traci your yule log ....like you said you would...... :p

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Go on Brown......show Traci your yule log ....like you said you would...... :p
You know Brian, if I were ever to be a mod of this place, the first thing I'd have to do is ban us. Our ability to shit on a thread is unrivaled.
Thank God that could never happen.

Jbb
11-10-2005, 10:17 AM
You know Brian, if I were ever to be a mod of this place, the first thing I'd have to do is ban us. Our ability to shit on a thread is unrivaled.
Thank God that could never happen.
That would explain a large majority of the hate mail I get.......never a nice word... :frown:

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I get some particularly nasty mail too.
... and it's all from you. :confused:

Jbb
11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
I get some particularly nasty mail too.
... and it's all from you. :confused:
Someone has to do it....

Her454
11-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Our ability to shit on a thread is unrivaled.
Everyone has to have their specialty in life.................. ;)

rampgirl-top
11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
After my grandmother died, I got a ring with several diamonds that were all the same shape, it was too gaudy for my taste so I had the diamonds taken out and am in the process of having zoomie earrings made with a diamond put in the end of each zoomie. If you don't know what zoomies are, then look at zoomies are exhaust (http://www.gnemotorsports.com/photos.htm)
:crossx:

Her454
11-10-2005, 12:32 PM
After my grandmother died, I got a ring with several diamonds that were all the same shape, it was too gaudy for my taste so I had the diamonds taken out and am in the process of having zoomie earrings made with a diamond put in the end of each zoomie. If you don't know what zoomies are, then look at zoomies are exhaust (http://www.gnemotorsports.com/photos.htm)
:crossx:
ROTFLMAO........... Not sure what a zoomie is, do you have a pic for me?

missboatnam1
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Tina, thats a great idea! Thanks- BTW, I was just looking through the pics this morning of our LA-X party LOL......... :) Sorry I missed you in Pomona, would have been nice to have a drink with you - ;)
maybe next year????? :D