PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank sub enclosure?

maxwedge
05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I have access to a couple of small rectangular aluminum fuel tanks. They are just over 1 cubic foot each. A friend of mine suggested that he could boil them out to remove the gas fumes (he works at a radiator shop) and I could use them as light weight sub enclosures in my boat. Anyone see why this might not work? I know I have seen some a aluminum enclosures in cars, but it doesn't seem to be real common. Is the main reason cost or sound quality?

OldYeller
05-14-2006, 08:43 AM
The one problem that I see is that the tank will flex. A sub enclosure needs to be rigid to withstand the pulses of the sub. I dont think that you would be happy with the results.

maxwedge
05-15-2006, 01:54 PM
The tanks came off some sort of farm equioment and the aluminum on these things seem pretty thick (maybe 5/16) so I don't think it would flex too much, but I was kinda wondering about the potential for rattleing and buzzing though. I guess since it's only going to cost me the time it takes to cut the holes, it may be worth a shot anyway.

Phat Matt
05-15-2006, 02:08 PM
What does your wife think?

Tom Brown
05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
That gas tank idea sounds perfect. Cut the fill neck to the desired port length, install the speaker, and you're good to go. :cool:
To really sweeten the sound to competition levels... you might want to dope up the fuel sender with some silicone to keep it from rattling and stuff a rag in the output bung. :idea: