PDA

View Full Version : GPS Navigation Systems?

core attitude
11-10-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm thinking of buying the wife a GPS Navigation System for her car, any recommendations / input from users would be appreciated. :rollside:
Thanks, Pete

topless
11-10-2005, 06:32 AM
I have a great one. It's called a Thomas guide. I think you can get them at Target for just a few dollars. :D Although mapquest works great too.

core attitude
11-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I have a great one. It's called a Thomas guide. I think you can get them at Target for just a few dollars. :D Although mapquest works great too.
Thanks, we have Thomas guides in our vehicles, but do to the fact that she is often across county lines when it is dark and sometimes with my children, I felt it would be safer to have a navigation system as opposed to having to pull over for an extended period of time in an unfamiliar area as she looked up directions. I understand the merits of both the Thomas guide and map quest, but I am looking for a safer more user friendly resource she can employ when she is actually out on on the road.

core attitude
11-10-2005, 07:08 AM
I have you checked out the one they've been advertising on TV lately? I think it's called the TomTom.
Yes, I did browse the site, I will be looking at it in person as soon as the stores open today. I do like the way it incorporates blue tooth for the hands free calling capabilities.

Big Kahunaa
11-10-2005, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=ShockwaveBob]I have you checked out the one they've been advertising on TV lately? I think it's called the TomTom.
Are you sure it is not bob bob

MagicMtnDan
11-10-2005, 07:35 AM
We have the Garmin 2610 which has since been upgraded to the 2720.
It's a great, easy-to-use product and once you start using it you won't want to be without it. Shop on the Net and you'll find even the brand new models at very good prices. The cool thing is it's portable and you can move if from vehicle-to-vehicle and the maps and software can be updated online.
Here's a link to Garmin's mobile electronics page (http://www.garmin.com/mobile/)
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/gallery/pt-sp272001a.jpg

beyondhelpin
11-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Lots info here.
/gps info (http://gpsinformation.net/)
gps forum (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/)

core attitude
11-10-2005, 07:56 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif Thanks for the input I will check in to both the Garmin and the gps links.

H20 Toie
11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
The Garmin 2620 is great, i would not want to travel with out it now.

STV_Keith
11-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Depends on your price level. The 2600/2700 series Garmins are super sweet, but a little spendy for me. I run a Garmin GPS-V now. Does everything, and it's pretty cheap now ($325?) but a bigger screen would be nice.
For that, my next one will be a Garmin 276C. Larger screen, color, takes SD memory cards so you can load the detail of certain areas to it from the CD they provide, etc. And it's in the $600 range.

riverbound
11-10-2005, 08:14 AM
The best out are the Alpine and Pioneer built in systems...they are not portable though. It really depends on your price range and what you are going to use it for.

topless
11-10-2005, 08:18 AM
I was joking by the way. I did hear of Tom Tom on the radio and am going to check that out.

beyondhelpin
11-10-2005, 08:40 AM
This is the one I just ordered. Handheld, big screen, color, and takes SD card. Also ordered 1 gig card. Not shipping just yet.
explorist xl (http://www.tigergps.com/magellanexploristxl.html)

Havasu_Dreamin
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Who heads out to somewhere, like Havasu, they have never been to before without first checking for directions? I mean, the WOW factor of an in-car GPS system is certainly up there, but is there really a need?

PHOTOGLOU
11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking of buying the wife a GPS Navigation System for her car, any recommendations / input from users would be appreciated. :rollside:
Thanks, Pete
Approx what do you want to spend??? Do you want it to have voice recognition? to you want it to be touch screen also?

OnlyMoney
11-10-2005, 09:37 AM
All I have to say is, NICE. We just had the new Clarion NICE piece installed in our Excursion and it's awesome! It will do so much more than just GPS. It's portable, too! We plugged it into our 12v on our Sea-Doo boat and it worked out on the water!!!! It's touch screen, SIRIUS compatible, you don't have to have it mounted and it's also got computer stuff, too, like MP3's and video's and such. Really cool item! I know Car Toyz in Havasu has them and installed ours for us. Just my .02. If she's been really good this year, this would be good for EVERYBODY. :wink:

core attitude
11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Who heads out to somewhere, like Havasu, they have never been to before without first checking for directions? I mean, the WOW factor of an in-car GPS system is certainly up there, but is there really a need?This isn't the case......my wife and I both have situations due to work that at times require us while already in the car, to change directions and head to a new location. I can take care of myself, but with the time change and the increased frequency of this occurring for her in the evening, at times with my children in the vehicle, I'm simply choosing to do this for their safety and convenience.

PHOTOGLOU
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Who heads out to somewhere, like Havasu, they have never been to before without first checking for directions? I mean, the WOW factor of an in-car GPS system is certainly up there, but is there really a need?
Yes I think so I have used it several times comming home from Havasu or Vegas and in stopped traffic it will reroute you and find the second shortest distance home.... OR help you find the next Restroom (Girlfriend has used it for that) or the next gas station WITH PHONE NUMBER so you can call and see if they have diesel....... For basic stuff your right but Also in case of emergency out of your area finds with phone number hospital police and will give your cordinance(sp???= lat and lon.)

core attitude
11-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Approx what do you want to spend??? Do you want it to have voice recognition? to you want it to be touch screen also?
I am open on the price at this point. Once I get enough data to compare, I will be able to resolve the feature/$=? equation. Ease of use and moderate learning curve are two things of inportance, I would like her to be able to use it asap. I do think that voice recognition & a touch screen are both positive features.

PHOTOGLOU
11-10-2005, 10:22 AM
We have one at the dealership that is great... I will get more info on it when I get in.... What type of vehicle is this going in???? Just so I know if the current brackets we have made will work.....

core attitude
11-10-2005, 10:33 AM
We have one at the dealership that is great... I will get more info on it when I get in.... What type of vehicle is this going in???? Just so I know if the current brackets we have made will work.....
Thanks........it will be going into a 2002 Altima.

PHOTOGLOU
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Shiat forgot.... Sorry will do it tomorrow

fourspeednup
11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
I highly recommend a portable unit...my pops and I took it with us when we went back East to visit family. Slapped it on the dash of the rental car and we were good to go in an entirely unfamiliar area. Once you use it, you'll want to have it with you all the time so the portability is great unless you want the extra bling of an in dash deal. I have no idea what model it was (garmin) but it looks like you are doing your own research anyway Good luck :)

NashvilleBound
11-11-2005, 04:32 AM
I am waiting for ROZ to suggest something too...... I need something for the wife...we are running out of bread crumbs.....

CNeidhart
11-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Don't go less then a 276C. I own a few (emap,176, 276c and a 2010) and buy FAR the 276C is perfect. It is voice or screen controlled. Route and reroute even to a desert location. It will actually find a TRAIL to get you there. It works with Blue Chart. It has a rechargable battery that last for 19 hours without backlighting, 12 hours with backlight.
That product is awesome.

MagicMtnDan
11-11-2005, 06:49 AM
I Froogled the Garmin 2720 and you can get 'em for about $800. That thing has voice instructions - if you exit (because of traffic) it will recalculate your route for you and give you a new one and I'm pretty sure it will hold the maps for the entire US in it so you don't have to start juggling flash memory cards (waste of time). And these things have restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc., in the area as you're driving.
It's a great portable unit. And as someone else mentioned, if you ever rent cars you'll love being able to take this with you. I went to Boston on a business trip and was finally able to find my way around the entire area flawlessly.
Don't leave home without it :)

core attitude
11-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Shiat forgot.... Sorry will do it tomorrow
LOL.......no sweat, I'll keep an eye on the thread.
Pete