PDA

View Full Version : Outdrives with blowers

NorCalCat
11-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I am thinking about adding a blower to my existing engine, however, I am told that I will be breaking drives. What is the recomendation for a drive that will withstand 950 hp. I am easy on it, and I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Thanks in advance.

riverbound
11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I am thinking about adding a blower to my existing engine, however, I am told that I will be breaking drives. What is the recomendation for a drive that will withstand 950 hp. I am easy on it, and I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Thanks in advance.
JET drive :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
11-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Torque (and a loose nut on the steering wheel) breaks drives. The outdrive doesn't know if there is a blower on there or not.

Hallett
11-10-2005, 12:01 PM
When i had my hallett vectors i had a 871 on it
never had any trouble. they say it's only a matter
of time tell she lets go. i was easy on it out of the
hole and it was fine. go see max machine works
in havasu he will make it stay together. it depends
on how you drive the boat and how heavy it is
if you like to fly the boat and hamer the hell out
of it won't last long. just my 02 worth.
Thats why i went to a v drive. ;)

paradigm shift
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
When i had my hallett vectors i had a 871 on it
never had any trouble. they say it's only a matter
of time tell she lets go. i was easy on it out of the
hole and it was fine. go see max machine works
in havasu he will make it stay together. it depends
on how you drive the boat and how heavy it is
if you like to fly the boat and hamer the hell out
of it won't last long. just my 02 worth.
Thats why i went to a v drive. ;)
Very good advise here. EASY on EASY off will without a doupt help your drive live longer. Larger prop pitch over 28 seem to ba a bigger problem in my opinion. I run a 29 vee with a blower with much less than 950hp you are talking about. I have had good luck to date but it takes a lot of discipline not to hammer it getiing on plane. I agree it is not if only when it will break. Also NO wave jumping unless you a very good on the stick. I miss the v-drive but I sure like the ride better now!!
Personally if I was spooled up to 950hp I would NOT even think about running a bravo without have max machine tweak it. Call them they are easy to talk to. They have several options and prices for how extreme you need to go. The big HP game is costly on service and upkeep and if you break it can be a real summer killer if you do not having spares or money set aside for quick repairs.
Just my .02. Good luck and once you get the HP blower itch it is hard to shake it. :hammerhea

Robbie Racer
11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks in advance.
NCC, if money is not a big concern, you might want to investigate that new Imco 1000 drive that is supposed to be rated at 1000 hp. I hear it's pretty pricey though. My B-Max would hold up for a long time with 950 hp and you can find those pretty reasonably on the used market.

MOBrien
11-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I am thinking about adding a blower to my existing engine................ and I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Thanks in advance.
Is this possible? :p :D :p

NorCalCat
11-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Is this possible? :p :D :p
I knew I could count on you MOB!
I think I need to let the 540 breath a bit :D

MOBrien
11-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I knew I could count on you MOB!
I think I need to let the 540 breath a bit :D
tear it up to a 565, slap a quad-rotor in there, put on a Teague drive, and let her rip!!!!:D

NorCalCat
11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
tear it up to a 565, slap a quad-rotor in there, put on a Teague drive, and let her rip!!!!:D
You sending me a check? I prefer cash :eat:

MOBrien
11-11-2005, 12:21 PM
You sending me a check? I prefer cash :eat:
If I was sending you a check, I'd be trailering your boat home. :p Would you take a third party check that doens't have my name printed on it? :messedup:

RumRunner
11-20-2005, 07:55 AM
At that kind of Power & Torque you're going to have a time bomb. Yes you can help one live, but it will be breakable at will. The only thing that won't be breakable in that range is either a #6, or Arneson.

FORCEINU
11-28-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm running B-max stage 2 with 580CI putting out 1250hp.
and haven't had any problems .
you will lose a few mph but who cares.
before this I ran 3 Imco SC to pieces in less then 10 hrs.
So I can't complain very satisfied with this set-up for now.
Hoping to buy a #6 next year and put my new turbo motor putting out
1600 hp. :cool:

Robbie Racer
11-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm running B-max stage 2 with 580CI putting out 1250hp.
and haven't had any problems .
you will lose a few mph but who cares.
before this I ran 3 Imco SC to pieces in less then 10 hrs.
So I can't complain very satisfied with this set-up for now.
Hoping to buy a #6 next year and put my new turbo motor putting out
1600 hp. :cool:
FORCEINU, what's the difference in your stage 2 B-Max and the standard B-Max? My B-Max has held up well except for yearly lower (XR) gears and prop shaft failures with similar power to yours.