PDA

View Full Version : Godspeed Jake

Infomaniac
11-10-2005, 06:37 PM
My daughter Holly went to feed Jake last night and said that he is not eating his food. We went out to visit him and he was obviously not himself. You can just tell when a dog is not feeling 100 % he was having a hard time breathing. I tell Mrs. Infomaniac to take Jake to the vet first thing in the morning.
Jake is our Golden Retriever and spends his life in the backyard.
The vet examines him and wants to do some blood work. She leaves him there for the day and comes on in to the shop. At about 5:20 that afternoon she comes to me in tears and says Jake is dying. He has cancer really bad in his lung and no telling where else. His white blood cell count is 4 times normal. We were going to pick him up and bring home before they close at 6:00
Mrs. Infomaniac is terrified to tell Info Jr. She cannot bear to tell him that Jake is terminally ill and must be put to sleep. We had the option of taking him home for a couple of days and then bring him back to be put down. I don't think this is a good idea at all. Will only prolong the dogs suffering and the family's pain. I decide to rush home, pick up Info Jr. and take him to visit Jake. I tell him that Jake has to spend the night at the vet because he is sick and he cannot come home as planned.
Here is a pic. One of the hardest things I have done in my life up to this point. Take my son to visit his dog for the last time. Me knowing that it will be the last visit and Info Jr. not knowing. This pic breaking my heart as I take it.
http://moritzmachine.com/Bye Jake.jpg
When we leave the vet I ask Info Jr. If he is feeling brave. He asked why. I said that Jake has cancer and is not coming home. He asked if I was kidding. I said no. He asked that was the last time i'll ever see him? I said yes.
Here is a pic of Mrs. Infomaniac and Info Jr. This has been the mood all evening.
http://moritzmachine.com/So Sad.jpg
We have been out into the backyard remembering Jake and all the good times we had with him.
And I type with tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat.
GODSPEED JAKE
****************UPDATED***************
Jake took his last breath this morning while Mrs. Infomaniac held him.
Thanks everyone for the support.
*************UPDATED AGAIN*************
We have a new Puppy (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99618)

JetBoatRich
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear about Jake, sounds like he was good dog

purrfecttremor
11-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Im so very sorry.

SDLifesaver
11-10-2005, 06:43 PM
That sucks, and I am truly very sorry to hear that. Dogs are man's best friend and it's hell to lose one. I can see dead people all day long and my attitude is they probably had it coming, but if I see a dead dog I need counseling in a big way. Sounds screwed up but a dog is such a companion that alot of times they are better than people.

Rexone
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Very sorry info :frown:
It really sucks.
Godspeed Jake

Cas
11-10-2005, 06:47 PM
real sorry to hear the terrible news! As I was reading your post, it brought back the memories of when I had to put a dog of mine down. The more I read the more choked up I got....I know what it's like. The problem I had was I waited far to long to get another dog, almost 20 years. Do yourselves a big favor and get another dog to give your love to soon :)

Infomaniac
11-10-2005, 06:51 PM
real sorry to hear the terrible news! As I was reading your post, it brought back the memories of when I had to put a dog of mine down. The more I read the more choked up I got....I know what it's like. The problem I had was I waited far to long to get another dog, almost 20 years. Do yourselves a big favor and get another dog to give your love to soon :)
Thanks man. Info Jr. has already stated that he does not ever want another dog. I'm sure it is his way of communicating that he does not want to go through this type of ordeal again.
I'm just curious. When is the right time? I guess everyone has their own time span to heal after loosing their pet.

Riverkid
11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
We've got a 105# bundle of fun Golden here. We have twins and I'll dread the day we have to go through this. I'd wait a month and come home with a pup. Who could resist? I'll get one for me if not anyone else. Golden's are great. I've had 3 and I'll always have one around. Always.

Rexone
11-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks man. Info Jr. has already stated that he does not ever want another dog. I'm sure it is his way of communicating that he does not want to go through this type of ordeal again.
I'm just curious. When is the right time? I guess everyone has their own time span to heal after loosing their pet.
I've had 5 dogs I've been real close to, (still have #5). #4 went much the way you describe Jake (suddenly without notice) about one year ago. I wasn't used to that nor at all prepared to deal with the shock. With the others I knew it was coming for quite some time in advance. Not that that makes it easier.
I've also had the fortune I guess of having one left when each has passed on (most the time have had 2). For me it has always been around the year mark when I've felt I was healed enough to get another. That though is likely different with everyone. I would say as soon as possible when you get past the shock and immediate pain of losing Jake. I think it will be real tough for Info Jr. for some time though as I suspect he and Jake were quite close. Just my guess.

Schiada76
11-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Sorry Info that's like cutting off a limb.
The right time is when a new puppy jumps in your lap and there's no way it's leaving. ;)

Jbb
11-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Its amazing how beneficial they are to have.....and how attached we get...Sorry for the loss Ron....and for the tough time Lil Info is going thru....When he calms down about it.... talk to him about it again.....I bet he will be ready for a new 4 legged companion in no time......Not to forget Jake.....but as a way to move on...

SummitKarl
11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
God bless you Info Family. you did the right thing
and Godspeed JAKE

ahhell
11-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Im soooo sorry...I cried like a baby when I had to put down my Golden..he was 12+ and arthritis had him so bad he couldnt stand anymore..to this day I miss the old boy...getting misty as I type this...and it was 8 years ago, just remeber the good times you had and the way he made things great... :frown:
You'll know when the time is right for another "friend"

Hustler
11-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear this. It's very tough to lose a family member. we had to put down our bulldog a awhile back and it just killed us.

Mrs.Racer277
11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh Ron I am so very sorry. I am trying to type thru the tears. You did the right thing. I would not want my dog to suffer. Hugs and Kisses to you and the family. Godspeed Jake
Dia and Sean

WUTWZAT
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like Info Jr. there has a great mom. It was very strong of you to tell him the truth and eventually he'll want another dog, just a matter of time.
I am sorry to hear about your loss.
Jason

canuck1
11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
bad news Ron, Jr will let you know when it's time

dmontzsta
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Damn, makes me sad. He looks like an awesome dog. It is a really tough thing for a young boy to lose his dog. GODSPEED

THOR
11-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry man. I have lost two Goldens so far and it was very rough. Godspeed Jake

dicudmore
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
sorry for your loss Ron :( :(

FMluvswater
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Aww HON I'm so sorry. :( :cry: That is one well loved and I'm gonna say lucky dog to have a family as wonderful as yours for as long as he lives/lived. When the pain recedes may the love and memories bring the smiles back to your family. Godspeed, Jake. :clover: :chi:

Daytona100
11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey Ron really sorry to hear about the loss. I currently own a female Goldy best dog iv ever owned. I would get another one soon let your son pick it out. Your son will get attached immediatly and remember the goodtimes with the old dog and love the new one.

vdrivenman
11-10-2005, 07:56 PM
we've had a couple of pets & one partner put down over the years. the only thing different i did & i felt better about it was to be there to hold them as they slipped into sleep. the comfort of your voice and that famaliar scent will
ease their pain and give them a small return of some of that unconditional love they've given you & yours over the years.
thats just my thoughts ! dogs are Gods creatures no doubt !

Cas
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
When to get another dog is a pretty tough question, every person and/or family is different. For me, I never really thought I was ready until we got got another and then I wished I had gotten another dog much sooner.
I didn't want to get a "replacement" for Sampson and that was the wrong way of thinking. I should have gotten another dog to love, another companion, another friend. 15 years was way too long.
Here's a pretty good article from an outdoor writer whose articles I always like to read.
Remembering a friend (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/15/SPGOKCPIHQ1.DTL)

Infomaniac
11-10-2005, 08:18 PM
When to get another dog is a pretty tough question, every person and/or family is different. For me, I never really thought I was ready until we got got another and then I wished I had gotten another dog much sooner.
I didn't want to get a "replacement" for Sampson and that was the wrong way of thinking. I should have gotten another dog to love, another companion, another friend. 15 years was way too long.
Here's a pretty good article from an outdoor writer whose articles I always like to read.
Remembering a friend (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/15/SPGOKCPIHQ1.DTL)
Interesting reading man. Thanks.

Kim Hanson
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear Info........( . )( . ).......... :(

Mohave Vice
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
So sorry for you and your family. Losing a LOYAL friend is so tuff. Give the wife and the kids a hug from us.

Phat Matt
11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
That sucks. :(
I don't even like to think of the day we lose Bud. :( :(

Tom Brown
11-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry, Info. That's got to be pretty tough. :(

Tahiti350
11-10-2005, 08:54 PM
INFO,
I had to put my Sheltie cross down a little over a year ago after 16 wonderful years of friendship. I was looking at a litter of free pups and she picked me, she was the runt, of course. It was a tough day when I had to put her down, but she is at my folks place in the country under a beautiful Maple tree overlooking the creek. I had her before my first marriage, and she was basically my oldest kid. My daughter, 16, and son, 13, live in Texas now, so I had to tell them on the phone, they never really got to say goodbye.
I rescued a English Sheppard/Lab cross from an abusive home, and he has turned into an awesome dog, but definatley not like my Brittany. You'll know when it's time for you, but you'll have to talk to Jr. Kids are resilent, but it sounds like they grew up together, so it may be tough on him. Don't rush him, but spend time with him and let him talk about his feelings. Make sure he knows it's okay to grieve the loss of his friend (brother/family member), and reassure him that:1. they'll see each other again, and 2. that he doesn't have to forget, but he does need to go on with his life and remember the good times.
God Speed Jake, Heaven awaits and the pain is gone.

bunny 166
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
So sorry, Info....Bless you and your family. It is so hard losing a loved one like Jake. I hope your son and the rest of your family heals soon and find a new 4-legged friend to love when the time is right. ;)

KACHINA KEN
11-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Jyruiz
11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
That breaks my heart, I have had two dogs (German Sheppards) that had to be put to sleep. It is hard enough on an adult, I can't imaging what Info Jr. is going thru, i wish him and your family the best.

jockorace
11-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Info,
So sorry for your loss. I lost the best dog EVER a while back, however I think what you've gone through is much harder. My Oscar got out and was hit by a car, I came home late one night to a crying wife in the driveway with Oscar dead in a cardboard box. (Sheriff said WE had to go get him off the road!). I drank hot brandy's til I was drunk enough to bury him in the yard. But it was over quickly that night. I would just tear me up to go through what you and family have.
Info Jr. will know when / if it's the right time for a new friend. Different breed is the best way. Hang in there. Jocko

BigBlockBaja
11-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Info,
Sorry for your loss.. Your story was really touching. I showed a couple of friends this Thread and they were in tears also. I dread the day I have to put my Lab down. I hope Info Jr. feels better. We all wish you well..
Godspeed Jake..... May you rest in peace..

downunder race fan
11-11-2005, 01:27 AM
sorry to hear of your loss and hope junior fells better soon. i agree with jockorace let your son choose a new dog when he feels the time is right and a different breed is a good idea.i have 2 staffordshire bull terriers and my two boys will be devastated when they pass on.hope things get better soon all the best,mate.

Infomaniac
11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Info,
Sorry for your loss.. Your story was really touching. I showed a couple of friends this Thread and they were in tears also. I dread the day I have to put my Lab down. I hope Info Jr. feels better. We all wish you well..
Godspeed Jake..... May you rest in peace..
Thanks man and everyone else.
Mrs Infomaniac held him in her lap when they put him to sleep. Was really brave of her.

76ANTHONY
11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks man and everyone else.
Mrs Infomaniac held him in her lap when they put him to sleep. Was really brave of her.
props to the mrs, i couldnt do it.... :clover:

Hallett
11-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Im sorry about your loss info & family it hurts
i have been there. i hope some day when the
time is right info jr will want to get another
dog he will never forget jake. but he might
decide he wants another frend. ;)

Sleek-Jet
11-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Wow Ron... sorry to hear this, especially for Info Jr.
I read once (and I'm paraphrasing here) that we give dogs food, shelter, and a pat on the head once in a while. In return they give us unconditional love and loyalty. That probably wasn't the bargin that our ancestors were after when they domesticated the first dogs, but it's been one of the best one's they ever had.
Dog's also teach us something though, and I've also heard that this lesson is why dog's don't live as long as us. In a dog we get to experience they complete circle of existance. From being an infant, to a child, then adolesence, where it seems no matter what you say, they're going to do as they please. To adult hood, where we can see a shinning exuberant friend that's always there. And finally old age, where we get to see that maybe the best times are warming your tired bones next to a fire surrounded by the people you love. Human life times are to long for us to appreciate all of this. 80 years is a long time, even if it doesn't seem that way. We take for granted that the people we love will always be there. Dogs teach us that we should chearish every moment, because it will all be over in to short of time. We never seem to give dogs enough credit.
Godspeed Jake...
And in the words of Will Roger's, "If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die, I want to go where they went".

lucky
11-11-2005, 12:41 PM
:( sorry ron , I'm right behind with my 13 y/o aussie - I keep putting off the inevitable cause I can't bear to see her go :( a few months ago we got another 8 m/o pup as we have shellies daugher brittney still - and i think it will be hardest on Her - My daughter knows whats up - and when it happens - I know there's going to be a whole lot of crying

topless
11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm so sorry for you and your family Ron. As I type this I'm crying. It is sooo hard losing a devoted pet but it's twice as hard on children I think. they don't understand. It will get better with time but no dog will ever replace this one.
Godspeed Jake.

OGShocker
11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry man! This reminds me when I had to put our dog {Clyde} down. Sorry your family has to go through this.
Mark

Her454
11-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Ron, so sorry to hear that. Pets are like family and hard to lose but you did the right thing for all involved. In time Info Jr will know when its time for another one and you'll know too. Give the Mrs and Jr a big hug for me.
T-

Her454
11-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Hope this makes you feel a little better.....................
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Froggystyle
11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Ron,
I am so sorry to hear about Jake. You know how I feel about dogs. I can't imagine lil'Info right now.
I remember clearly in ninth grade having to put our female lab down. I had grown up with the dog since I was a baby, and still feel the pain. I felt like a complete femme because I was crying so badly even though I was in high school. Dogs will do that to you though. They give and give and ask nothing in return. What more can you ask?
Get another dog soon. It helps, and reminds you more than anything of the great times you had with Jake. It is another way for him to live in your hearts.
Many may not agree with the advice, but you need to fill that empty spot with love instead of longing.
Godspeed Jake...

topless
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Ron,
I am so sorry to hear about Jake. You know how I feel about dogs. I can't imagine lil'Info right now.
I remember clearly in ninth grade having to put our female lab down. I had grown up with the dog since I was a baby, and still feel the pain. I felt like a complete femme because I was crying so badly even though I was in high school. Dogs will do that to you though. They give and give and ask nothing in return. What more can you ask?
Get another dog soon. It helps, and reminds you more than anything of the great times you had with Jake. It is another way for him to live in your hearts.
Many may not agree with the advice, but you need to fill that empty spot with love instead of longing.
Godspeed Jake...I agree with you 100%. It fills a void and remins you of the good things in the one you lost.

Mrs. 4-B
11-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Info - so sorry to hear about your loss. I think all on this board understand what you're going through. It's rough. I'm tearing up just thinking about your Jake and my dogs long passed.
Riodog - Love your doggie prayer! Even that made me cry! Wow what an emotional subject! Gets ya' right there!

PHX ATC
12-10-2005, 05:26 PM
This thread sucks. Man, I hate hearing that some family lost a furry four legged member of it.
Here's a prayer for Jake...he's got some company from our house he can romp with, chase, and roll in the grass.
Chin up, time eases the pain but it never goes away. :)

MagicMtnDan
12-10-2005, 05:36 PM
What an awful way to spend the day mourning your family's best friend, companion, watchdog and family member.
Saying goodbye to my English/Irish Setter was the toughest thing I had done up to that point. So sad knowing that's the last time you'll be together.
I hope your family feels better soon and please consider getting a new best friend (or two!) very soon. You'll all feel better for it and so will the new pup(s).

Wet Dream
12-10-2005, 07:46 PM
It brought back some memories reading your thread. I had a Golden for 15 years, he was about 1 1/2 when I found him. He was by far the best dog in the world. He wasn't doing well at all, but was more old age related. I took him to the vet and he told me that there was really nothing to do. Throwing alot of money into the situation would have merely prolonged the pain and would not have helped Cinder at all. Damn, just recounting this story still puts tears in my eyes, and this was 7 years ago. The vet did something that I thought was very helpful to me and to Cinder. Instead of having him put to sleep at the vets office in a strange place, they had me take Cinder home and spoil him for the day. Later that evening, the vet and his assistant came over to the house and put him down there. They told me what to expect as far as Cinder's reaction and I just layed on the floor with him bawling my eyes out and holding him as he took his last breath. That was ****ing rough. That dog went everywhere with me. He loved riding in the Jeep CJ-7 with the top off and the doors off. I took several pics of him in the Jeep through the years. The Jeep has been an untouched project for the last 7 years. I was in the garage a few weeks ago and looked in the console of the Jeep, and there were several pics of Cinder in there. Brought back a few tears, but it was real cool finding those pics. Odd as it might seem to some, I had Cinder cremated and have his ashes here with me. They are actually in the same room now. He's always been around, never been stored out of sight. My wife thought it was a good idea to get a new puppy right away (2 days later), and that didn't work out at all. I sure wasn't ready. 3 years ago, my wife and I went and adpoted a great golden female puppy. What a pleasure she is. Then 2 years ago I went to the pound and got a 7 week old yellow lab. He's the biggest idiot in the world.
Anyhow, I am sorry to hear about your loss and I hope your son is feeling better now. Its always tough. And the only bad part about getting another dog is...they will die all too soon.
Take care.

Infomaniac
12-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks again everyone. This thread was brought back to the top because......
We have a new puppy. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99618) thread

Tahiti350
12-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Congrat's on the new addition Info, but where are the pic's?? :rolleyes:
How's Jr. handling everything?

Infomaniac
12-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Congrat's on the new addition Info, but where are the pic's?? :rolleyes:
How's Jr. handling everything?
Info Jr. is doing great. Thanks
CLICK HERE FOR PICS (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99618)

Tahiti350
12-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Found the other thread, thanks. I guess I should look first, then post... rookie mistake. :rolleyes: