PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing procedure.

DelawareDave
11-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Changing the oil at layup is also a good idea. You don't want any combustion acids or other contaminates left laying in the pan, either. Add enough Stabil, or other similar product to the fuel tanks, which also should be left as full as possible.
As a note: most antifreeze works best when mixed 50 - 50 with water, but I'm not sure if what you are using is supposed to be mixed.
Regular antifreeze in the bilge is not a bad idea. The antifreeze kills the fungus that is responsible for "dry" rot.

GasGuzzler
11-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Change oil, grease pump, put in heated garage for warm winter days! :D

MarKist
11-12-2005, 06:05 AM
I have found out too, that a heated garage IS the easiest way out :D
Markist

HammerDown
11-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Changing the oil at layup is also a good idea. You don't want any combustion acids or other contaminates left laying in the pan, either. Add enough Stabil, or other similar product to the fuel tanks, which also should be left as full as possible.
As a note: most antifreeze works best when mixed 50 - 50 with water, but I'm not sure if what you are using is supposed to be mixed.
Regular antifreeze in the bilge is not a bad idea. The antifreeze kills the fungus that is responsible for "dry" rot.
Good info above...and also something I do is close down the valve train. Even though I'm not running extreme spring pressures I feel better about relieving the static pressure on the compressed springs. Not to mention with some fogging oil on the valve and valve seat (I) feel it will hold back any possible pitting on those surfaces.
No inside storage for my Daytona :notam: ...so I'll spray down the entire engine and headers and wrap it up. Come early Spring it looks as good as the day I put it away...for our winters that are tooooo long. :cry:
PS. with the blocks full of Antifreeze don't forget to quick crack open the shut off valve at the pump so some Antifreeze makes it's way to the bowl!

miketsouth
11-20-2005, 08:23 AM
i have always felt that filling the block with automotive antifreeze over extended storage periods will mitigate the inevetabe deteriation of the waterside of the block, especially if run in salt water, whether you flush it or not.
I think automotive 'old school' automotive antifreezes have paraffins in them that coat. Also be very carefull of this ethelyne glycol. Only a 'taste' can kill an animal and they like it like sugar water.
another think for you guys with berkeleys, make sure there is no water in the bearing lube oil. This has to be the poorest design i ever seen. The water can seperate from the oil and lay on the bottom, only one POS seal.

GasGuzzler
11-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Use the RV antifreeze. Cheaper, don't have to mix it, and will not kill you if you drink it! Plus it's PINK, and everybody likes pink. :rollside:

nitro557
11-20-2005, 02:16 PM
pink,mmmmmm

NashvilleBound
11-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Install heat and air in garage;) Turn on.....done.....

DelawareDave
11-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Weird. I didn't start this topic. I replied to a post. Now it looks like I started it. I reckon the original poster deleted his post.

GasGuzzler
11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Weird. I didn't start this topic. I replied to a post. Now it looks like I started it. I reckon the original poster deleted his post.
Nope, I think a moderator got key happy and deleted it by mistake. It was locked out a while, then bam, parts of it were gone........... :hammer2: and 557 :wink: I guess if ya gonna get away with :argue: and :boxingguy ya gotta do it in the sandbar :p

jets4me
11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
well you will have that

MarKist
11-21-2005, 06:50 AM
well you will have that
YEAH .........what FatherMike said!!!!!!!!!!!!

orange peel
11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Nope, I think a moderator got key happy and deleted it by mistake. It was locked out a while, then bam, parts of it were gone........... :hammer2: and 557 :wink: I guess if ya gonna get away with :argue: and :boxingguy ya gotta do it in the sandbar :p
You are right but if we do it at the sand bar whats the damn site for??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
Well in the words of my boy YOU WILL HAVE THAT EVERY NOW AND THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!