PDA

View Full Version : B&M 174 question?

Badburn
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know how to get the rear rotor bearings out of the bearing plate on a B&M 174 blower? :confused:

Daytona100
11-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Bearing puller mayby??? Post some pics and im sure we can figure it out. :idea:

EXTREMEBOATS
11-10-2005, 10:13 PM
:hammer2: Yea what he said..... :eek:

Badburn
11-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Bearing puller mayby??? Post some pics and im sure we can figure it out. :idea:
It took me a couple days, but here it it. It can't be pressed out from the back, and theres not much to grab onto to pull it???
http://www.westcoastoutlaws.com/blower1.jpg http://www.westcoastoutlaws.com/blower2.jpg

Unchained
11-16-2005, 09:06 AM
I can't tell from the picture, Is that a needle bearing or is there an inside race?
If there's an inside race then the way to get that bearing out is to put a big gob of the heaviest grease you can find in center of the bearing, where the shaft runs, and then put a piece of shaft in the bearing that fits it exactly and pound on the end of the shaft.
The hydraulic action will force the bearing out.
If it's a needle bearing it may or may not work with the grease.

superdave013
11-16-2005, 09:26 AM
I can't tell from the picture, Is that a needle bearing or is there an inside race?
If there's an inside race then the way to get that bearing out is to put a big gob of the heaviest grease you can find in center of the bearing, where the shaft runs, and then put a piece of shaft in the bearing that fits it exactly and pound on the end of the shaft.
gob of the heaviest grease = monkey shit
At least that's what I've always called it. That's why you never press a bushing all the way to the bottom of a blind hole. So the monkey shit can get behind it and push it out. :)

Badburn
11-16-2005, 09:40 AM
It is a needle bearing, I will try the grease trick tonight when I get home.

Infomaniac
11-17-2005, 06:48 AM
If the grease don't work some heat on that aluminum should make it let go of those bearings.

Liberator TJ1984
11-17-2005, 04:03 PM
While you got the back plate off , if you want to drill and tap the plate to accept grease fittings , you can hit them with a litte dab of grease every few hours and help prevent them from going out :idea: ????
Before I got my 8/71.... I ran this on another 174 ,overdriven turning it at approx. 18K :crossx:
I now have this on my 8/71 plate also.....
What do the rest of you guy's think ??? good or bad idea ???

Badburn
11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
While you got the back plate off , if you want to drill and tap the plate to accept grease fittings , you can hit them with a litte dab of grease every few hours and help prevent them from going out :idea: ????
Before I got my 8/71.... I ran this on another 174 ,overdriven turning it at approx. 18K :crossx:
I now have this on my 8/71 plate also.....
What do the rest of you guy's think ??? good or bad idea ???
That sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I tried the grease trick, it didnt work. Tried heat, that didnt work. I will call BDS tomorrow and ask if they will help, they did not want to send me the teflon to re-strip it, but I talked the guy into it. I think they want you to think blower rebuilding is a secret voodo science or something, so getting tech advise might be a trick??? we'll see.:rolleyes: