PDA

View Full Version : Blowers vs Turbo's

Taylorman
11-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Ive been reading a little about blowers vs turbo's and wonder why there aren't more turbo boats out there? Especially on the race boats, ive never seen a race boat on the boards with turbo's.

superdave013
11-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Especially on the race boats, ive never seen a race boat on the boards with turbo's.
now you have ;)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729edelbrock1.jpg

Taylorman
11-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok ive seen a few. What i meant was there are just a few relative to the # of blowers. Your a turbo guy right, answer my question Spicoli.

Badburn
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I think its pretty hard to make a turbo and carbs work together and make real big power. I've seen a few that work well on lower HP applications. Turbos work killer with EFI and a good electronic timing/boost/fuel management system, but its very expensve to do it that way. I think thats why you dont see it so much. I bet they will start popping up everywhere when the electronic stuff gets cheaper.
my opinion. :p

superdave013
11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Ok ive seen a few. What i meant was there are just a few relative to the # of blowers. Your a turbo guy right, answer my question Spicoli.
The marine full water jacketed turbo systems are made in low volume. There for they cost big money. Now they can be had for much less if you have the skills to fab it yourself. But all in all if you compare the cost of a complete "kit" turbo systems cost over (way over) double what a nice 8-71, cooler and all the yadda yadda would.

Badburn
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
CAN YOU DEFINE "REAL BIG POWER" vs. "LOWER HP"?
hmmm, ok........ real big power like you might find in a dragboat, Maybe 1500-2000+ HP, and lower HP being 700- 1000 HP :cool:

BUSBY
11-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I think its pretty hard to make a turbo and carbs work together and make real big power. I've seen a few that work well on lower HP applications.
I've seen one work on a big HP deal ... :notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/235801_05_IHBA_WFN_0060_143.jpg

Badburn
11-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Some guys have pulled it off, but most the time they are plagued with tuning problems. I personally think you can make more power with a turbo, and I will build a turbo motor soon, but right now -with the electronics being fairly new to the market, it is way too expensive for me. Just think if you could make 1500 HP with the motor tuning itself to be optimum, smooth idle, and you wouldn't even need mufflers! :jawdrop: plus, those turbo motors sound badass when they are on kill.

Blown Spectra
11-11-2005, 06:31 PM
THAT AIN't SHIT, I've SEEN BIGAMIST SKI BEHIND THAT THING...
Now thats Funny..... :D:D :D :D :D

Unchained
11-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Just think if you could make 1500 HP with the motor tuning itself to be optimum, smooth idle, and you wouldn't even need mufflers! :jawdrop: plus, those turbo motors sound badass when they are on kill.
:rollside: :) :idea: :rollside: :wink: :D
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/cold%20start.MPG
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/uncheighthmi.MPG

MikeF
11-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Liken the small dose of Iron Maiden! :cool:

BUSBY
11-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Liken the small dose of Iron Maiden! :cool:
I like his ski tow! :D

BUSBY
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Now thats Funny..... :D:D :D :D :D
I agree!

SmokinLowriderSS
11-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Real cool Unchained. :shift: :shift: :shift:

Unchained
11-13-2005, 06:49 AM
I've got several comments about the ski tow. :D
People ask me how can I ski behind that boat, like when I start it up it goes immediately to full throttle. :notam:
It actually makes a great ski boat, the tunnel hull flattens the wake out and you can really blast across the center on one ski.
Like all jets I've had though, a strong slalom skier can pull the back of the boat around a lot.
I had my son pull me skiing behind this boat and I told him to give me a good snap up out of the water.....he must have floored it and I was up and planed out in about the length of the ski. It was less stress than someone dragging you for 50' while the boat strained to get planed out.
Brian, How can I find you at Firebird ?
Are you going to be spectating or working with a race team ?

502schiada
11-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Unchained, motor sounds great. What size and how much HP? How much boost are you running?

Taylorman
11-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I've got several comments about the ski tow. :D
People ask me how can I ski behind that boat, like when I start it up it goes immediately to full throttle. :notam:
It actually makes a great ski boat, the tunnel hull flattens the wake out and you can really blast across the center on one ski.
Like all jets I've had though, a strong slalom skier can pull the back of the boat around a lot.
I had my son pull me skiing behind this boat and I told him to give me a good snap up out of the water.....he must have floored it and I was up and planed out in about the length of the ski. It was less stress than someone dragging you for 50' while the boat strained to get planed out.
You got me wondering if there is any way to keep from pulling the ass end of a jet around by a skier. Ive been wanting to put a fin on the bottom of my boat to try to keep that from happening. Anyone try anything like this?

sanger rat
11-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Taylorman. Do not put a skag on the bottom of your boat. It will break up the water leading into the pump causing cavatation. But if you really want to do it I have one here I'll sell ya.

Unchained
11-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Unchained, motor sounds great. What size and how much HP? How much boost are you running?
The motor's a 540"
Hp calculations,
http://new.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/220hpcalcs.jpg
The system is capable of a lot more boost but 19 - 20# has seemed to be plenty for lake use. This engine has quite a low static compression so it needs a lot of boost to perform.
I've recieved many PM's from guys who want to put turbos / EFI on their boats.
I would suggest that the first place to start is to read up on the subject, otherwise you may be bombarded by opinions and old school ideas. :hammerhea
Here's a couple good books on the subject,
-Maximum boost by Corky Bell
-How to tune and modify engine management systems by Jeff Hartman

TurboNova
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Don't forget the book "Turbochargers"
I have wondered about this topic myself. I am involved in alot of turbocharged drag cars here in the NW. My personal car just put down 1236hp to the wheels on my chassis dyno. Somewhere in the 1600-1800 range at the crank with a no brainer 400 small block, nothing custom or special and regular old 23 degree heads.
I built a blow through turbo small block for my brother. At 5psi with pump gas it makes 632hp on the engine dyno. No turbo and it made 404hp. This engine was left over old drag boat stuff. Really old tunnel ram, two 660 center squirter carbs, a set of Canfield aluminum heads, stock 350 four bolt block, scat crank and rods.
It would be really easy to build a big block single or twin turbo on pump gas and still make big power, even with a carb.
The reason I think most people are staying away from turbos is the learning curve of the EFI system. It is more pricey than going with a traditional blower but the power potential almost has no limits.
Check out some pictures on my site.
http://www.horsepowerconnection.com
you can see pictures of the boat at
http://www.brianmacy.com/horsepower/jeffmacy.htm
Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection.com

BUSBY
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Working with my Father-in-law ... Ron Fuentes ... #249 Flaming Attitude
Just ask anyone around it for me ... See you there!
Look for this boat:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/235801_10_NJBA_4724_249.jpg

Badburn
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
:rollside: :) :idea: :rollside: :wink: :D
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/cold%20start.MPG
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/uncheighthmi.MPG
Very, Very nice, Thats it! Im trashing my blower! :D I used to have an unblown fuel Jet- A California Performance- it was the most ill-handling boat I ever seen. It threw me out twice. What Kind of Hull is that that you have? :confused:

Unchained
11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Very, Very nice, Thats it! Im trashing my blower! :D I used to have an unblown fuel Jet- A California Performance- it was the most ill-handling boat I ever seen. It threw me out twice. What Kind of Hull is that that you have? :confused:
It's a 19' Stealth. Mine handles real stable on the top end ....... but I have......the intake duct. :cool: :idea:
Trash that blower :D

Taylorman
11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Unchained question for you. In this picture, the blue things on the turbo's, those are the wastegates right. This is where pressure dumps when boost exceeds a preset psi right? Are they adjustable.Are they on the turbine side of the turbo? Why are they right there. It seems like they should be on the compressor side of the turbo. Does the turbo restrict the exhaust flow at all due to it having to turn the turbine blades? Your engine is awesome, im just trying to understand how it all works. Can you put up a link to your web sight that shows your engine build, i saw it the other day but cant find it now.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220june404b.jpg

TurboNova
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Unchained question for you. In this picture, the blue things on the turbo's, those are the wastegates right. This is where pressure dumps when boost exceeds a preset psi right? Are they adjustable.Are they on the turbine side of the turbo? Why are they right there. It seems like they should be on the compressor side of the turbo. Does the turbo restrict the exhaust flow at all due to it having to turn the turbine blades? Your engine is awesome, im just trying to understand how it all works. Can you put up a link to your web sight that shows your engine build, i saw it the other day but cant find it now.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220june404b.jpg
The blue things on the turbos are the wastegates, there are two because of twin turbos. This is where the excess back pressure is dumped. If you have too small of a wastegate then you will have backpressure and or over boost problems. They are adjustable but can be used in conjunction with, electronic controllers or low buck twist knobs to raise boost on the fly. Some people will run a second wastegate on the intake side if they want to spool faster from the starting line, IE one gate set at a 10psi and one at 20psi. This is only maybe needed in a drag racing situation where you start from a dead stop. What you do need is a blow off valve on the intake side so when you lift the throttle it relieves any back pressure between the throttle blade and the turbo compressor impeller. This will help the turbos last longer and stop that cool sound of compressor surge. Most traditional turbos have wastegates only on the exhaust side, look at any diesel truck. The turbo will not restrict exhaust flow if the exhaust housing is properly sized. The most critical part of turbocharging is to get the right exhaust housing, that will determine at what RPM the turbo will spool.
As for people doubting horsepower numbers check out this video of my car on the dyno this last Sat. 1236hp to the wheels with a small block. There is a dyno sheet in the video to prove it. If you assume a BSFC of .5 or even .6 and it used 1050 # / Hr of fuel at the injector then you have a conservative number of 1750hp at the crank.
http://www.brianmacy.com/multimedia/1236dynopull_0001.wmv
Bring on the questions.
Brian Macy
360-280-6112

revndave
11-15-2005, 05:00 PM
It's a 19' Stealth. Mine handles real stable on the top end ....... but I have a one of a kind part under the boat that no one else has.
Trash that blower :D
My boat handles good and I dont have what you got.What do you have that is special??

Taylorman
11-15-2005, 05:24 PM
He's referring to that duct he has on the bottom of his intake.

TurboNova
11-15-2005, 05:46 PM
DO YOU LOCK YOUR GARAGE?
Yes, and two guard Dogs too.

Taylorman
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM
The blue things on the turbos are the wastegates, there are two because of twin turbos. This is where the excess back pressure is dumped.
Do you mean excess pressure going into the engine or pressure from the exhaust spinning the turbine wheel? Reason i ask is it looks like the wastegates are mounted on the turbine side of the turbo. Why would they be on the turbine side instead of the intake side. Seems like they should be on the intake side cause thats where the air is compressed into the engine.
Whats the difference in a bypass valve and a wastegate?
Excuse my ignorance, just trying to learn.

Unchained
11-16-2005, 04:27 AM
[QUOTE=Taylorman] Does the turbo restrict the exhaust flow at all due to it having to turn the turbine blades? Your engine is awesome, im just trying to understand how it all works. Can you put up a link to your web sight that shows your engine build, i saw it the other day but cant find it now.[QUOTE=Taylorman]
Turbonova did a pretty good job of explaining it and he has a lot more experience than I do with Turbos.
The turbine is a restriction in the exhaust flow and there always is back pressure to turn the compressor. With my engine it takes 30# of back pressure to make 20# of boost.
That's why sizing of the turbo is so important.
Typically the kits that are out there have too small of a turbo and the back pressure can be so high that at a point more boost will not make more power.
Here's the link to that assembly on the Michigan Hot Boat site.
http://www.michigan***boats.com/technical/turbo1.html
Turbonova, Thanks for your input and putting up that dyno video.
Do you have a video showing the roots blown alky car dyno pull and the turboed gas car dyno pull ?
That would directly apply to this thread.

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Do you mean excess pressure going into the engine or pressure from the exhaust spinning the turbine wheel? Reason i ask is it looks like the wastegates are mounted on the turbine side of the turbo. Why would they be on the turbine side instead of the intake side. Seems like they should be on the intake side cause thats where the air is compressed into the engine.
Whats the difference in a bypass valve and a wastegate?
Excuse my ignorance, just trying to learn.
No problem, it is understood that with an optimum turbo setup that you have 2x the back pressure as intake boost, 2:1 ratio. That isn't set in stone or anything and every combo varies. You can take back pressure measurements before the turbo and log the results to get a better exhaust housing size for your combo; this is totally trial and error. The right sized turbo housing will determine at what RPM boost occurs. You can just order different exhaust housings sizes to speed up or slow down the wheel, this will also affect back pressure too. Spooling is also largely affected by how good your EFI tune up is. If you look at any diesel truck you will find a pod attached to the exhaust side turbine housing that controls the waste gate, if it has one, some diesel turbos have no waste gate and are sized to give x#s of boost wide open. You want to bleed off air flow to the exhaust side of the turbo to keep it in the boost area that you want. Just like changing a blower pulley to get your desired boost level. The exhaust wheel is what drives the intake wheel so you control it from that side. If you try to control it from the intake side you can over spin the turbo if you are not careful, some people are controlling from both sides for quick spooling drag cars. Some Indy type cars used waste gates and blow off valves together opening and shutting in the corners to keep the cars spooled in the corners. I know of guys running waste gates on their blower engines to control boost also.
A bypass valve another name for a blow off valve which is used in the intake side to relieve pressure when the throttle is lifted. Most blow off valves have a spring pressure something like 10psi and a bypass valve will flap open and shut at idle then close when boost occurs. Procharger makes a bypass valve and Tial makes blow off valves, they look very similar but work a little different.
Brian Macy

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Turbonova, Thanks for your input and putting up that dyno video.
Do you have a video showing the roots blown alky car dyno pull and the turboed gas car dyno pull ?
That would directly apply to this thread.
I will try to get the alcohol dyno video off the camera today and post the link. I already posted a link of my car, gas turbo with the dyno sheet in the video.
Brian

Taylorman
11-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Understood. I just couldn't figure out why the wastegate was on the exhaust side. I thought it would be on the intake side to contol boost. So your saying the wastegate is on the exhaust side and it basically controls the speed that the turbo spins which in turn affects the boost right?
Thanks for the explaination.

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Understood. I just couldn't figure out why the wastegate was on the exhaust side. I thought it would be on the intake side to contol boost. So your saying the wastegate is on the exhaust side and it basically controls the speed that the turbo spins which in turn affects the boost right?
Thanks for the explaination.
Correct, if you only used the intake side to bleed pressure then you would acually be speeding up the turbo.

Taylorman
11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
So if the more backpressure the faster the turbo spins, how do you change the wastegate setting to change the boost? Are they electric?

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Unchained, I read your build up. You did a very nice job, I like how the scoop worked into the intercooler. Your intercooler is working good but you should be able to get intake air temps into the same temp as the lake water if the intercooler was effecient enough. I use ice in my air to water and get air temps down to 60 degrees. Cool low buck build for the intercooler though, I would have never thought of the bus heater core. How did you seal the core to the aluminum plate?
As for your wastegates, I have never seen anyone mount them directly to the housing. I think you got some bad info on that, it will work but it would have worked just the same coming out of the header collector or even some people make a box that bolts between the header collector and the turbo with a small tube coming out of it. I think Turbonetics sells the boxes. As long as the wastegates are mounted after all four header tubes come together into a common plenum it will work just the same. It looks cool though. Wastegate placement does not have anything to do with spool up, the A/R of the turbo housing does.
The last boat system that I did we just used the Bassett headers, cut off the collector short, welded a reducer into a turbo flange. It is not as good as stainless but was really cheap since we already had them. So far so good they are still together. I had to keep the EGTs down so we didn't wear out the headers.
Brian Macy

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 11:29 AM
So if the more backpressure the faster the turbo spins, how do you change the wastegate setting to change the boost? Are they electric?
It is not really a matter of back pressure but the air flow coming out of the engine and the heat of the exhaust. The heat is what spools the turbo quicker, the richer the mixture the slower the spool and the leaner the faster to a point. Waste gates work on pressure, they have a spring inside them that is rated in units of BAR. At the bottom of the waste gate there is a port that is usually hooked into the compressor side of the turbo or intake manifold vaccume/boost. This bottom port helps open the waste gate when the engine sees enough boost to overcome the spring in the gate. Then there is a top port on the waste gate that is used to jack more pressure on top of the gate valve to keep it closed longer. This is where you can use an electronic waste gate control or just an air pressure type regulator to dial in more boost on the fly. Most waste gates also have an allen head threaded screw on top of the gate where you can tighten it down to get a few more pounds of boost. You can also just change springs and raise you boost level higher. There are several ways to do it. Most guys run a lower spring pressure and then a dial type regulator to add more boost.
Brian Macy

Unchained
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Unchained, I read your build up. You did a very nice job, I like how the scoop worked into the intercooler. Your intercooler is working good but you should be able to get intake air temps into the same temp as the lake water if the intercooler was effecient enough. I use ice in my air to water and get air temps down to 60 degrees. Cool low buck build for the intercooler though, I would have never thought of the bus heater core. How did you seal the core to the aluminum plate?
As for your wastegates, I have never seen anyone mount them directly to the housing. I think you got some bad info on that, it will work but it would have worked just the same coming out of the header collector or even some people make a box that bolts between the header collector and the turbo with a small tube coming out of it. I think Turbonetics sells the boxes. As long as the wastegates are mounted after all four header tubes come together into a common plenum it will work just the same. It looks cool though. Wastegate placement does not have anything to do with spool up, the A/R of the turbo housing does.
Brian Macy
Thanks for your input Brian.
My turbo's are just Diesel rebuilds and have worked real good for me.
At $ 450.00 each they are one of the lowest priced parts on the engine.
I run Garrett TV77-01's with a 1.15 A/R turbine housing and a .55 A/R compressor housing.
Do you guys use any diesel turbo's or do you mostly run the high dollar stuff ?

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your input Brian.
My turbo's are just Diesel rebuilds and have worked real good for me.
At $ 450.00 each they are one of the lowest priced parts on the engine.
I run Garrett TV77-01's with a 1.15 A/R turbine housing and a .55 A/R compressor housing.
Do you guys use any diesel turbo's or do you mostly run the high dollar stuff ?
I am a dealer for Precision Turbo and Engine, I mostly use their stuff but I have also used alot of 60 series detroit diesel turbos. They are good for 500-1000hp each and also come in a 1.15 A/R divided exhaust housing. They work well on engines up to about 450 ish cubic inches. These turbos are on the cheap end and work out very well for most small blocks and some smaller big blocks. I picked up one of these turbos for my brother's boat build for $150 and with a little elbow grease, header coating and hi temp paint it looked great.
Brian Macy

born2burn
11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
TurboNova......bad a$$ 66. I too own one. What kind of compression are you running with your turbo set up? What are the compression limitations with turbos.......is it the same basics as supercharging when it comes to static compression? I see your just down the road a bit from me.
Thanks for your help.

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 06:09 PM
TurboNova......bad a$$ 66. I too own one. What kind of compression are you running with your turbo set up? What are the compression limitations with turbos.......is it the same basics as supercharging when it comes to static compression? I see your just down the road a bit from me.
Thanks for your help.
More or less the same as a blown boat, my engine is around 9-9.5:1 we just took .020 off the heads to make them flat again. I have seen anywhere from 7.5:1 to 11:1. There are some guys running alcohol with even more the same rules apply to turbos as superchargers. A good turbo piston and rings are The cams are a little different and if you talk to the wrong guys you will get a really quite mellow cam. I found what I ended up with was closer to the old nitrous cam that I had than a traditional turbo cam. As long as you can make boost without detonation then you are fine, that is the key. This is where the EFI system comes into play.

TurboNova
11-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Here is a link to the video of the blown alcohol Camaro.
http://www.brianmacy.com/multimedia/mike1025.7_0002.wmv
Brian Macy

Unchained
11-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Those dyno pulls made for a great comparison.
So the roots blown MFI alcohol car made 1025 hp to the wheels with a 505 big block and the turbo / EFI gas car made 1236 hp to the wheels with a 400 ci small block. :idea: Hmm.... what does this mean ?......LOL
Really nice fabricating work packing all that tubing into the engine compartment of that Camaro.
http://www.brianmacy.com/horsepower/horsepowerimages/Vulcan/Turbomaro4.JPG
Since I've done it myself I know the challenges involved there.
So I see that the guy had a roots blower and then had you install the twin turbo EFI setup for him. What was the performance difference between the two?

Badburn
11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Here is a link to the video of the blown alcohol Camaro.
http://www.brianmacy.com/multimedia/mike1025.7_0002.wmv
Brian Macy
Hey, since were doing blown alcohol cars, heres my weekend cruiser. This thing makes the highway patrol furious!
Also, this is done with 13.5 to 1 compression. www.westcoastoutlaws.com/badapril22.wmv (http://www.westcoastoutlaws.com/badapril22.wmv) :cool:

TurboNova
11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Those dyno pulls made for a great comparison.
So the roots blown MFI alcohol car made 1025 hp to the wheels and the turbo / EFI gas car made 1236 hp to the wheels with a 400 ci small block.
What was the engine size of the alcohol car ?
Really nice fabricating work packing all that tubing into the engine compartment of that Chevelle.
http://www.brianmacy.com/horsepower/horsepowerimages/Vulcan/Turbomaro4.JPG
Since I've done it myself I know the challenges involved there.
So I see that the guy had a roots blower and then had you install the twin turbo EFI setup for him. What was the performance difference between the two?
The Blown Alcohol guy has a 505ci big block with a filled block/no coolant. He runs in the Goodguys Nostalgia races.
The Camaro picture that you posted was a customer that has a 525 big block, he got tired of me beating him in 2003 so asked if I would build him a set of turbo headers. He took off the blower and I built him headers, then he took the car home and finished the rest himself. He picked out the turbos which in my opinion are too small but they seem to work out very well. They are T4 flanged turbos with a 70mm intake wheel and I think .68 A/R housings. It does really depend on how much power you want to make though. It does put down 1100+ to the wheels on a dyno jet chassis dyno in Portland, OR.
Here is a shot of it at the races this year. Keep in mind this car used to do about a 2' wheelie for about 40' out with the blower and would run a 8.80-8.90 quartermile time. Now is has ran something in the 8.50s and definately has the power to run in the 7s.
http://www.terrysperformance.com/videos/vulcanwheelie.wmv
Brian Macy

TurboNova
11-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey, since were doing blown alcohol cars, heres my weekend cruiser. This thing makes the highway patrol furious!
Do you race in the PSCA? That is a cool car, I love the sound of blowers.

Badburn
11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Do you race in the PSCA? That is a cool car, I love the sound of blowers.
Every once in a wile with the psca, but they dont have a class for a blown alcohol non tubbed car- so I would end up racing the pro chassis cars and getting my ass handed to me.
That camaro wheelstand vid is badass. It takes balls to stand it up the second and third time. I found that shifting into high gear works well to bring the front down slowly. :)

TurboNova
11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Every once in a wile with the psca, but they dont have a class for a blown alcohol non tubbed car- so I would end up racing the pro chassis cars and getting my ass handed to me.
That camaro wheelstand vid is badass. It takes balls to stand it up the second and third time. I found that shifting into high gear works well to bring the front down slowly. :)
Let's just say that guy isn't the smartest tool! The other guy in the right lane almosted kicked his ass at the end of the track. It was only a test and tune run he didn't have to stay in it that long.

Carbon Dave
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
BADBURN.....I have sen you ride on Norcal1320. Very sweet.

billet racing
11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
If you have been to any NJBA races at Ming, you've seen mine. 21' Daytona with a 496' on twin turbo's. Just messin around, but did run a best of 10.2 sec at 103 mph. With about 20 gallons of fuel and all the other lake equipment. End of weekend and still drained 16 gallons out. Turning 6,000 rpm's, so she'll stay together for a while.
As for a serious drag motor, Lucas Oil is the only other I have seen. go to any ski competition, and thats all you'll see.
Jerry

sorry dog
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
As for people doubting horsepower numbers check out this video of my car on the dyno this last Sat. 1236hp to the wheels with a small block. There is a dyno sheet in the video to prove it. If you assume a BSFC of .5 or even .6 and it used 1050 # / Hr of fuel at the injector then you have a conservative number of 1750hp at the crank.
http://www.brianmacy.com/multimedia/1236dynopull_0001.wmv
Bring on the questions.
Brian Macy
360-280-6112
Very impressive numbers. I like how the torque is still rising when yall cut it off at 7000. How many psi did that take?
If that wasn't a drag motor, would you give it smaller turbos to flatten the torque curve? Like if it was on a prop boat or a street car?

TurboNova
12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Very impressive numbers. I like how the torque is still rising when yall cut it off at 7000. How many psi did that take?
If that wasn't a drag motor, would you give it smaller turbos to flatten the torque curve? Like if it was on a prop boat or a street car?
That was 35psi, I usually hit the traps at 8000. It made over 1000 @ 25psi. I raced it last year with 25psi and only changed oil and plugs before each race. It was very reliable. At 35psi I am starting to push the limit of the combo. ARP thinks I am at the limit of the head studs, we are working on some custom studs that may help. The car is actually very streetable idles well and I have been known to drive it to some local car shows.
Part of sizing turbos is what your projected horsepower goals are, if it was going to be a 50 street 50 race and I didn't want to run 8s then we would have put something like a single 76mm turbo, a 80mm or a pair of 60-1s on a small block. The prop boat we did this summer had 355 with a single 76mm it drives very well on pump gas @ 10psi and makes 632hp 6200rpms. Plenty for a ski/race boat weekend racer. He drove the crap out of that boat all summer without any problems and it has two 660 carbs too. EFI would have been alot better but wasn't in his budget.
I just bought a Sanger Flatbottom and a new 5.7 Hemi. We are going to put it together with FAST EFI to fire the stock coils and dual plugs. I am going to set it up to turbo, I don't know if we will get to the turbos on this summer or next but we will get the boat going.

Blown 472
12-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Question for ya turbonova, I am putting a 351 w in a car and going with a single carb blow thru deal and am looking at 600 to 650 hp out of it. I was told a gt45 would work for this and support more hp down the line. Any suggestions?

TurboNova
12-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Question for ya turbonova, I am putting a 351 w in a car and going with a single carb blow thru deal and am looking at 600 to 650 hp out of it. I was told a gt45 would work for this and support more hp down the line. Any suggestions?
It will be a good turbo with the divided turbo housing that will provide good spool up time with that size turbo. It is rated from 500-1200 hp. You will have plenty of room to grow. Why a blow thru? If you are going to go that way make sure the carb is a 750dp with annular boosters, solid floats, and adjustable air bleeds. I like the extreme velocity carb hats, get the O-ring version so you don't have problems blowing out gaskets. You will not be using this turbo to it's limits, you will find that when you start to run more boost you will make huge gains in power. Check out the 44mm Tial wastegate for this combo.

Blown 472
12-10-2005, 04:48 PM
It will be a good turbo with the divided turbo housing that will provide good spool up time with that size turbo. It is rated from 500-1200 hp. You will have plenty of room to grow. Why a blow thru? If you are going to go that way make sure the carb is a 750dp with annular boosters, solid floats, and adjustable air bleeds. I like the extreme velocity carb hats, get the O-ring version so you don't have problems blowing out gaskets. You will not be using this turbo to it's limits, you will find that when you start to run more boost you will make huge gains in power. Check out the 44mm Tial wastegate for this combo.
Cool. Blow thru for the first time. I have an 850 I was going to use, too big?? Csu hat?? How do you feel about running E85 with this combo? I read it has a higher motor octane.
Have you read about filling the intercooler with wax where the water would go due to it's high laten heat??

TurboNova
12-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Cool. Blow thru for the first time. I have an 850 I was going to use, too big?? Csu hat?? How do you feel about running E85 with this combo? I read it has a higher motor octane.
Have you read about filling the intercooler with wax where the water would go due to it's high laten heat??
I think you might find the 850 a little big but try it. CSU hat is good, that would be my other choice. I have not used E85 before, I mostly use VP fuels or just 76 pump gas. The best advice I can give you is to buy an Innovate Wide Band O2 sensor and RPM cable, this will be your new best friend when you learn how to use it.
I haven't heard about the Wax idea. In the intercooler? Air to Water intercooler? Are you talking about to smooth the corners to help air flow or something else?

Blown 472
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
I think you might find the 850 a little big but try it. CSU hat is good, that would be my other choice. I have not used E85 before, I mostly use VP fuels or just 76 pump gas. The best advice I can give you is to buy an Innovate Wide Band O2 sensor and RPM cable, this will be your new best friend when you learn how to use it.
I haven't heard about the Wax idea. In the intercooler? Air to Water intercooler? Are you talking about to smooth the corners to help air flow or something else?
Air to water but fill it full of wax instead of water, as the wax melts it doesn't change temp until fully melted and from what I have read that is 3 to 4 mins of boost. Thanks for the info too.
It is called the fusion intercooler, it was in a speedweek article, I can't find it.

TurboNova
12-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Air to water but fill it full of wax instead of water, as the wax melts it doesn't change temp until fully melted and from what I have read that is 3 to 4 mins of boost. Thanks for the info too.
It is called the fusion intercooler, it was in a speedweek article, I can't find it.
If you filled the cavity with wax you would also block any air flow through the intercooler. After it melted you would have a very big mess. Stick to something simple like ICE or even water with a heat exchanger. I know that will work.

Blown 472
12-11-2005, 07:24 AM
If you filled the cavity with wax you would also block any air flow through the intercooler. After it melted you would have a very big mess. Stick to something simple like ICE or even water with a heat exchanger. I know that will work.
Is there any rule of thumb for size of cooler???