PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Like/Dislike Cougar Boats?

Kona Jet
02-08-2002, 10:40 AM
I am looking into cougar boats but was wanting to see what you all had to say about them. Are they good? How is the builder as far as communication? I like thier 27 mtr series. Does anyone know about this hull? Is it a good plainer?
Thank you
Kona Jet

HavasuDreamin'
02-08-2002, 10:54 AM
I have had the chance to drive a 21' MTR with Merc 2.5 power. Excellent boat, fast and stable. Solidly built and comfortable. Very Expensive. I have no experience with the 27' MTR. Good Luck! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
Sorry about the frown, I tried to use a thumbs up. Don't know what happend.
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited February 08, 2002).]

waterbum
02-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Kona,a few years ago,when I was searching for a new cat,I went to New York(Lake Chuitaugua)and test drove a 23MTR.The boat came on plane fast,felt like a magic carpet ride at speed and handled supurbly.This cat leaned into the turns slightly.My only problems were lack of storage,under-deck area finishing was scant(no carpeting overhead)and the interrior left somthing to be desired.Boat was equipped with an HP500 with the flame arrester protruding into the engine hatch cover.The hole for this was cut only about a quarter inch larger than the arrester and the top of the arrester was even with the pad.Seemed somewhat restrictive to me.Also had run of the mill gauges.This boat was used and abbused and they still wanted 60k.You can have one built anyway you want but with everything you add to the base boat,price skyrockets.Nice well built good handleing boat,but in my opinion,way over priced.Hope this helps.Bum

canuck1
02-08-2002, 12:24 PM
I have had a cougar for 18 years, this has been a great boat cougar has been great to deal with. the hull is still like new no stress cracks or any hull problems. My family has owned cougar products(10+) for 25 plus years and we highly recomend them. No they are not cheap. I was very impressed with the 27 MTR but its too big for me. Call cougar direct in salmon arm bc and see if the canadian prices differ without the middleman.

waterndog
02-08-2002, 01:23 PM
I got spanked by one, so I don't like them http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Infomaniac
02-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Kona Jet I cannot speak for the 27' version but my 19' v-drive boat is very well built. Any that I have seen are very good boats and last a long time.
Oh Yea: I do a lot of spanking with this one.
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited February 08, 2002).]

27mtrcougar
02-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Kona Jet:
I am looking into cougar boats but was wanting to see what you all had to say about them. Are they good? How is the builder as far as communication? I like thier 27 mtr series. Does anyone know about this hull? Is it a good plainer?
Thank you
Kona Jet
Kona,Im very happy with my 27mtr just stepped up from a 23mtr.I loved my 23 it was rock solid.My 27 has twin 300x,they changed the bottom from the 23 its more like the newer 22 model. It works great.It planes faster then my 23[twin 280s] did.But the best thing is the ride, no porpoise even at slower speeds,just rides flat.The guys at cougar are great to deal with too they dont bs u just tell it like it is.As far as price goes i think the 27 is right on par with the other guys in the 26 to 28 foot range.Workmanship is top notch.You wont be disappointed with this boat. E mail me if have any more questions.

WILDMAN
02-08-2002, 07:03 PM
i SELL lIBERATOR TUNNEL AND LOVE THE WAY THEY PERFORM AND RIDE, I have 18 to 24 ft. email at liberatorboats@yahoo.com for pics. The 24 is similar to a 24 skater, and will run 110-115 with twin 2.5's.

COUGAR20.5
02-08-2002, 07:07 PM
We have owned a 20.5 since 1995 .we bought it from the factory. Wayne was great to deal with. the gelcoat still shines like its new.no stress cracks no paint falling off the trailer. upholstery is holdig up great.they have gotten much better with more updated graphics also.I would highly recomend them Al

Blown Sleek
02-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey any one know factually that the 27 leans to the inside?
I know it does at below say 40 but how fast will you be going in about .5 g's radius to where it will skip or roll outward?
I can speculate but? F.Y.I I would make three bilge pumps on seperate switches a happening thing! Can you make sure they do not splatter paint the inside of the bilge?
Its played out and just a little messy for me.

Craig
02-09-2002, 05:35 AM
27mtrcougar, how fast does your ride go with that set up? Saw one like that at the LA show last year and thought it was a good looking boat.
Craig

COUGARMAN
02-09-2002, 07:02 AM
I own a 1997 21 foot MTR.I love this boat! It is the most stable, great plaining, and best riding boat I have ever been in. Cougars are on the pricey side but well worth it. They also have great resale value.There are lots of other boats worth owning but you cant go wrong with buying a Cougar.WRONG SMILEY FACE
COUGARMAN
[This message has been edited by COUGARMAN (edited February 09, 2002).]

JWM
02-09-2002, 12:58 PM
For what it's worth,I drove the 27 Cougar Oct 2001 in Florida for the HOT Boat test. I was impressed, both with handling and top speed. Weather was very windy the day we did the top end test.
The ride was outstanding. Turing was good. I don't know if it will take a 5 G turn at sixty mph plus. I don't think Cougar built this boat to be a circle racer?
Jim Wilkes
Wilkes Marine

Blown Sleek
02-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Hey Jim Maybe I lack some typing skill.
What I was after is if I am going up the river about 60 (coming out of the Topock Gorge) toward topock marina would the boat lean to the inside or?? under normal driving?
I was talking about one half of a G (.5)
P.s. atleast when I show up at you'r shop you do as you tell me at regata weeks before)
Thumbs up and thanks.

Kona Jet
02-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Thanks for some of the help Jim... But does the boat really have a bad turning charecteristic? What horse power should be run in this boat to go 80MPH? I have had several conversation with Wayne.. They seem like nice people to deal with I am really concidering buying one obviously hense the post Anymore information you can provide would be great.
Kona Jet

riverbnd
02-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Kona, Last year at the L.A. I sat down with the guys from Cougar and they were great to deal with. They were making deals. You may want to concider waiting till March, you might get a better price. Good Luck

Blown Sleek
02-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Kona I know of one pretty local you may take a ride in pretty soon! Let me know!!

Kona Jet
02-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Thanks Blown! But I already have a ride.. OM MY! Road in my first 27 today What a ride! I am thinking of buying one! It was like riding on rails for a 27.. The boat did not lean at all durning turns at 70MPH.. The boat did 85 with 525HP I was impressed and on Castaic today the wind was BLOWING! Cat road nice in 3 ft chop....
Kona Jet

RiverDave2
02-10-2002, 10:36 PM
I'm amazed you could do 85mph at Castaic with all the things that happened there recently.. I thought they'd be pretty strict about that.
RD

Blown Sleek
02-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Me to R.D. it really did and the sheerif was cool as we passed him!!
We eaven had the authority helping to trailer the boat in the big wind!!
Cougar and the guy who gave the ride was down right great! I just need about another 60 grand the river is mine!!
Heard you put a small down on the 27 (J?)

Kona Jet
02-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Yeah I could not resist! I will see all your crazys on the river I my new cougar27mtr.. Now I have to change my username http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Thanks for all the heads up your guys gave... I know RD, it was so cool that they did not say a word it gave me time to see what that kind of HP did... Just waved and went by.. Though they did check the registration,fire extinguishers,life vests, ect.... Thanks again blown for the ride.....
Kona Jet
[This message has been edited by Kona Jet (edited February 11, 2002).]

nextasex
02-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Hey Kona, was that you i was talking to sunday at castaic, you already had pulled out the boat and cleaning it. i was in a red car bs-ing with i think some of you! that orange boat is sharp looking, really, really nice gelcoat job, 2 thumbs up!
have fun!

Kona Jet
02-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Yeah I was one of the guys there.... You were talking to the sales guy and the owner I think.. Didn't you buy a lavey craft? That is not my boat but the one I test drove.. Mine is being built as we speak..Hopefully be out at the lake soon. Oh BTW they are nice guys....
Thank nextasex...
Kona

nextasex
02-14-2002, 03:25 PM
hey kona, hey i bought a lavey. good luck with your boat man! that's a bad MF!
take care.

JWM
02-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Mr. Kona Jet you need to set up a demo ride in the 27 Cougar. Well worth the time and money even if you have to fly to Canada.

nextasex
02-19-2002, 06:13 PM
hey kona, did you guys have a muffling device on that cougar you all ran a couple weeks ago at castaic? i took out my new lavey last saturday, they said it was way too loud for that lake. no baffles!

Kona Jet
02-21-2002, 07:24 PM
hey nex...
Nice boat I saw it on the other forum. That boat was a test ride so I am not sure it had anything at all.. No baffels that I remember. Those guys just did not like ya or something.. If you rememebr it was very windy and I think they were shocked we were on the lake at all ;-) Anyhow We will see you on the lakes... when I finally get my boat
Kona

CanadianKid!
02-28-2002, 08:51 AM
I would love to see some cool pics of this 27' couger!
It is one of my dream boats and if you can "fork"(LOL) out the dough go for it!!I would!

cougarmtr
03-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by CanadianKid!:
I would love to see some cool pics of this 27' couger!
It is one of my dream boats and if you can "fork"(LOL) out the dough go for it!!I would!
Likwise!!,love my 21mtr jet,guys up there in salmon,great to work with.Bought a 2000,Looking to go to a 22ft I.O

SCOOTE69
10-28-2002, 03:24 PM
Sent you my email 27 cougar.

Hermosa
10-29-2002, 10:31 AM
Everyone talks the Cougar boats up, lots of good chat about them. I have never liked their graphics, but that's my small opinion, and dosn't reflect anything to due with the quality of the boat. Does anyone know how many deakers they have in the USA?