PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe / Yukon Owners......

Boatcop
11-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Anyone else notice adverse front tire wear on the late model ('03-'05) Tahoes or Yukons? A co-worker who bought a '05 has rapid wear on the inside of the fronts, after just 5,000 miles. Said that another friend had the same situation on an '05.
I checked mine and also have some major wear and minor cupping along the inside ridge of both fronts. (11,000 miles) Stock Bridgestone Duelers, 17", never towed with it.
I put stock size Eagle Alloys on the front, but the others with this problem are factory stock wheels.
Anyone else have experience with this? Is this a warranty issue?
Jay???

Mrs. 4-B
11-11-2005, 03:15 PM
I have an '04 Yukin XL. Needed an alignment at about 20k miles. Steered to the right. All okay now though.

Jbb
11-11-2005, 03:22 PM
In the 11k miles you drove.....have the tires been rotated...?

dimarcobros
11-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I noticed the same problem but I thought it was because I have wide tires and they were rubbing when I was turning. :idea:

Mohave Vice
11-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Yep! Sure did. Have an 03' Yukon. Thought I was doing right when first purchased. All oil changes at 3k miles. Also rotated tires at same intervals. Then about 30K I finally noticed. Both steer tires inside were cuping. Thoght tires were shot. Also realized the rears were the same way. Took down and had an allignment and "trued" all four tires (shaving). Reversed the tires and no on merry way. Cost was less than 100.00. Good luck!

Boatcop
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
In the 11k miles you drove.....have the tires been rotated...?
Tires rotated at service.
2WD
Doesn't warranty cover alignment problems at such low mileage?

AirtimeLavey
11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Had that issue w/my '01 2wd. Got the wear even w/reg. rotation and align check. Haven't noticed it on my '05 4wd, and have just over 10k on 17s.

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Anyone else notice adverse front tire wear on the late model ('03-'05) Tahoes or Yukons? A co-worker who bought a '05 has rapid wear on the inside of the fronts, after just 5,000 miles. Said that another friend had the same situation on an '05.
I checked mine and also have some major wear and minor cupping along the inside ridge of both fronts. (11,000 miles) Stock Bridgestone Duelers, 17", never towed with it.
I put stock size Eagle Alloys on the front, but the others with this problem are factory stock wheels.
Anyone else have experience with this? Is this a warranty issue?
Jay???
Yes just brought my truck in for it personally......11k miles might be a little much for our friends at Bradley to warranty.... BUT PUSH THE ISSUE the can do it up to 12k miles BUT THATS IT... If they don't help I WILL GET YOU A NEW SET.... NOW Alan Again I will help you BUT you have changed the rims???? If so the Back spacing might be different so they could deny you on those grounds.... AGAIN I will get you new tires if they deny you.....Jay 714 552 0300

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I have an '04 Yukin XL. Needed an alignment at about 20k miles. Steered to the right. All okay now though.
15k to 20k alignment is DUE.....

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Tires rotated at service.
2WD
Doesn't warranty cover alignment problems at such low mileage?
Yes except you have changed your wheels right????? Now not covered... Try and be pushy(As I know you can(Thanks for the ticket :D ))Let me know what they say and maybe I can help you around to get it done.... Jay

Mrs. 4-B
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
15k to 20k alignment is DUE.....
Oh...shows what a big help I am!!! :mix:

Boatcop
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks Jay.
I'll take it into Bradley and see what they say.
Wheels have identical backspacing as stock. But I know how Service Managers like to find any little thing to deny warranty.
I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks.

MOBrien
11-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes just brought my truck in for it personally......11k miles might be a little much for our friends at Bradley to warranty.... BUT PUSH THE ISSUE the can do it up to 12k miles BUT THATS IT... If they don't help I WILL GET YOU A NEW SET.... NOW Alan Again I will help you BUT you have changed the rims???? If so the Back spacing might be different so they could deny you on those grounds.... AGAIN I will get you new tires if they deny you.....Jay 714 552 0300
Wassup Jay! We're still loving our Z71, but I'll certainly be checking the tire wear this weekend....we're at about 9-10K miles. How can you back me up being that I'm 400 Miles away if I've got an issue? Truck is still a stocker all around. Please PM me with what to do.
Thanks man,
MOB

MagicMtnDan
11-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Alan, have you had the alignment checked? Are they to factory specs? Sounds like toe in/out is off.

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Alan, have you had the alignment checked? Are they to factory specs? Sounds like toe in/out is off.
Actually what I am finding and PEOPLE PLEASE let me know is if you do alot of tight radius turning the whelss/tires lean and that is where it throws the alignment off....

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Wassup Jay! We're still loving our Z71, but I'll certainly be checking the tire wear this weekend....we're at about 9-10K miles. How can you back me up being that I'm 400 Miles away if I've got an issue? Truck is still a stocker all around. Please PM me with what to do.
Thanks man,
MOB
Let me know I WILL HOOKUP/HELP you out......

H20 Toie
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I had the same issue with my H2, even rotating them every 5k miles i ended up replacing them at 40k just becuase of the uneven wear.

Dribble
11-11-2005, 05:26 PM
No problem with my 2002. The tires are wearing great front & rear.

Hal
11-11-2005, 07:44 PM
The wife has a 2002 Z71 and has had no problems with tire wear or alignment. Put a set of revos on at 45000 miles. Probably could have gone another 10000 miles on the stock BFGs. She is just a little bit of a speedster :jawdrop: so I thought I should keep some fresh tires on for her.
Average rotation is at about 10000 miles.

Boatcop
11-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Hal,
What's happening?
Just wanted to let you know that the A/C is da bomb.
It's always good when you can out a larger unit on a larger house and lower the electric bill. And keep it cozy at the same time.
Much thanks again, my friend.
(Did you ever buy the place in Highland Estates?)

dicudmore
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes just brought my truck in for it personally......11k miles might be a little much for our friends at Bradley to warranty.... BUT PUSH THE ISSUE they can do it up to 12k miles BUT THATS IT... If they don't help I WILL GET YOU A NEW SET.... NOW Alan Again I will help you BUT you have changed the rims???? If so the Back spacing might be different so they could deny you on those grounds.... AGAIN I will get you new tires if they deny you.....Jay 714 552 0300
negative on that one...
7500 is the normal cut-off. 10,000 is the goodwill period. If I get one in close to that I have the boys "adjust" the odometer reading on the RO to indicate under 10,000 :wink:

dicudmore
11-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks Jay.
I'll take it into Bradley and see what they say.
Wheels have identical backspacing as stock. But I know how Service Managers like to find any little thing to deny warranty.
I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks.
now you're gettin' personal :boxingguy :boxingguy :wink:

Kindsvater Flat
11-11-2005, 10:01 PM
All 17 of our gm trucks eat the front tires off. They range from 2000 to 2005. We cannot keep them aligned. We took one pickup put new tires on it and drove it 5,000 miles. I then sent it in for an alignment and it was no where near spec again. Rotated tires and recheck 5000 miles again. Again no where near spec. Rotate tires, align, another 5000 miles and the same problem again.

dicudmore
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
All 17 of our gm trucks eat the front tires off. They range from 2000 to 2005. We cannot keep them aligned. We took one pickup put new tires on it and drove it 5,000 miles. I then sent it in for an alignment and it was no where near spec again. Rotated tires and recheck 5000 miles again. Again no where near spec. Rotate tires, align, another 5000 miles and the same problem again.
operator error :wink:

THATJEFFGUY
11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
I've already got 20,00 on my 05 Tahoe with stock tires/wheels. When I rotated them at 12K I did notice alot of wear on the fronts also. I figured the tires were junk or improper air pressure..but thats not possible because of the electronic pressure sensor. So Jay, is this a warranty issue..or do I have too many miles on it already ?

Kindsvater Flat
11-11-2005, 10:07 PM
operator error :wink:
I dont' think so on this one. Now if I were to mention brakes I would totally agree. I have 2 guys at work. One cannot get more than 8k out of a set of brakes yet the other one can go about 70k on a set. Still better than doing engine work on a ford. :D
http://flatratetech.com/images/navigator%20motor%20job%20003a.jpg

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
now you're gettin' personal :boxingguy :boxingguy :wink:
OK then I'll have all 23 people that have PM'd me take them to your shop for warranty....... You know how it is Dan... We are boaters so we will help boaters out BUT IF we did it for everyone WHAT would GM think.....

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey we've said our words in the past BUT if you need help with this PLEASE pm me I WILL HELP.....

PHOTOGLOU
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I've already got 20,00 on my 05 Tahoe with stock tires/wheels. When I rotated them at 12K I did notice alot of wear on the fronts also. I figured the tires were junk or improper air pressure..but thats not possible because of the electronic pressure sensor. So Jay, is this a warranty issue..or do I have too many miles on it already ?
@0k is to many GM's answer to us is they should last 20-25k Sorry but if you need tires at a discount DEEP DISCOUNT I have alot of take off's and I will help

Kindsvater Flat
11-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey we've said our words in the past BUT if you need help with this PLEASE pm me I WILL HELP.....
No need Jay... Junk is Junk and no one builds a quality truck anymore that will hold up for agriculture use. You just deal with it.

dicudmore
11-11-2005, 10:43 PM
OK then I'll have all 23 people that have PM'd me take them to your shop for warranty....... You know how it is Dan... We are boaters so we will help boaters out BUT IF we did it for everyone WHAT would GM think.....
hey if there's a boater in the area I can help out I'd be more than happy to...
send 'em over :D
I think GM would send more than just the area rep out to visit me :jawdrop:
Dan <----does not want an audit

HCS
11-11-2005, 10:48 PM
hey if there's a boater in the area I can help out I'd be more than happy to...
send 'em over :D
I think GM would send more than just the area rep out to visit me :jawdrop:
Dan <----does not want an audit
Isn't it funny how people don't get it.
To most people the dealer is a place to vent. Or bitch.
All we do is service the product. We don't build it.
Mexican's do. Call Mexico.

Rexone
11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Tow off a little or tire pressure alone shouldn't cause the inside tire wear. Tow will make it squirrlly or stiff to drive and will eat the tire if severe but ususally not the inside edge. Tire pressure normally affects "both" sides of the tire or the center depending on which way the pressure is off. Cupping or dog ear many times is caused by balance issues. Sounds like these GM trucks have another problem.

dicudmore
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Isn't it funny how people don't get it.
To most people the dealer is a place to vent. Or bitch.
All we do is service the product. We don't build it.
Mexican's do. Call Mexico.
I just keep telling myself...I love ALL my customers, even the bitchy ones, or the a-holes that are so ignorant they think they're gonna get something out of me by screaming at me...
My suggestion for the evening, if you want a favor from a dealer, DON'T yell at the service manager...BE NICE

Rexone
11-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Whadaya mean my wrinkled fender isn't covered under warranty, YOU ASSSHOLWE! Who's your supervisor?
:D

CMATT21
11-11-2005, 11:23 PM
I have a 2004 Yukon. Noticed wear to the inside of each tire at 23,000K miles.
Took it in. First they said it was definitly an alingment issue. but it turned out to be the caster/ camber adjustment. You know when a lowered bugs wheels turn in at the top, same thing but its not lowered. Service rep hoped it was like that from the factory and I wouldn't see anything else like that again. Yeah, we shall see. They didn't cover the tires, or rotating and balance, or the alingment which is a another adjustment different from the caster/camber. I was out $105 even with most of it under warrenty. I did alot of complaining, and they took of $80 for the rotating and balance. Thats it. I still feel kind of screwed. I have heard of many others with the same problem. I personally feel without a doubt it is a factory issue. I had no pulling, only noticed the wear.
MATTO

Hal
11-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Hal,
What's happening?
Just wanted to let you know that the A/C is da bomb.
It's always good when you can out a larger unit on a larger house and lower the electric bill. And keep it cozy at the same time.
Much thanks again, my friend.
(Did you ever buy the place in Highland Estates?)
Hi Alan,
You are welcome and thank you my friend. Glad I could help you out.
Yup, we bought the house. Were just not moved in full time yet. Hopefully
after the first of the year. Kind of tough to pack up and leave after all these years. But the thought of leaving the smog, the every single day of miserable
traffic and all the other crap going on in this state is going to make it much
easier. :D

Cs19
11-12-2005, 12:04 AM
just an fyi, theres a problem with some 04-05 chevy tahoes and pickups steering shafts. if your getting some feedback in the wheel or hear a clunking when cornering or when the suspension compresses go have the dealer fix it, i had mine done today and its so much better.
i think it was the steering intermediate shaft.?

PHOTOGLOU
11-12-2005, 03:09 AM
just an fyi, theres a problem with some 04-05 chevy tahoes and pickups steering shafts. if your getting some feedback in the wheel or hear a clunking when cornering or when the suspension compresses go have the dealer fix it, i had mine done today and its so much better.
i think it was the steering intermediate shaft.?
Yeas it is a bullitin BUT not a recall

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Don't you sleep Jay ???

PHOTOGLOU
11-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Don't you sleep Jay ???
Just got home... I was out looking for Roman1 in all the gay bars... Everyone knew of him but noo0ne had seen him tonight....Him and his husband must have had a quite night in front of the fire place

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Just got home... I was out looking for Roman1 in all the gay bars... Everyone knew of him but noo0ne had seen him tonight....Him and his husband must have had a quite night in front of the fire place
So did they buy you all kinds of DRINKS ???

PHOTOGLOU
11-12-2005, 03:19 AM
So did they buy you all kinds of DRINKS ???
YES they must have thought I was his friend........ :cry:

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2005, 10:54 AM
No I think they wanted some Photo Glou !!!

Cs19
11-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeas it is a bullitin BUT not a recall
correct, not a recall but still a problem.

uvindex
11-13-2005, 08:40 PM
i think it was the steering intermediate shaft.?Thanks for posting this. I've noticed exactly that, a clunking, in my 2004 Silverado lately. Sounds as if it's coming from the left-front suspension and/or steering hardware. I've been meaning to take it in for that along with some routine maintenance. :)

TRG
11-13-2005, 09:10 PM
ive noticed that same deal with my tahoe, but today as i was driving back from laughlin, my ABS dash light came on and chimed at me from essex rd all the way til i got off the freeway (pathfinder rd.@57fwy) talk about stress!!!!
the problem is that when you come up to a stop the brake pedal drops to the floor and seems to build pressure only after i've held it to the floor for a short period of time, it got to be kinda nerveracking comming down Cajon pass! lol
Todd

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2005, 09:25 PM
correct, not a recall but still a problem.
I would say yes IMO

Cs19
11-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've noticed exactly that, a clunking, in my 2004 Silverado lately. Sounds as if it's coming from the left-front suspension and/or steering hardware. I've been meaning to take it in for that along with some routine maintenance. :)
exactly..
take it in, my dealer said it can be done in one hour if they are not too busy. after getting it fixed it drives sooo much better.Mine was getting pretty sloppy.

uvindex
11-13-2005, 10:21 PM
exactly..
take it in, my dealer said it can be done in one hour if they are not too busy. after getting it fixed it drives sooo much better.Mine was getting pretty sloppy.I'm just glad there's a bulletin. Your word "clunking" is exactly how I would have described it to the dealer. Without the bulletin, I'd be dreading the following possible exchange...
Me: The suspension or steering seems to be clunking when I drive.
Dealer: You mean a rattle?
Me: No, it's clunking.
Dealer: You mean a squeak?
Me: No, it's clunking.
You get the idea. :) Thanks again!

Wake Havasu
11-13-2005, 11:37 PM
No need Jay... Junk is Junk and no one builds a quality truck anymore that will hold up for agriculture use. You just deal with it.
I am in Ag and we have gone through the Fords and Chevys and are switching to Tundras for the smaller trucks.

DEMOMAN
11-14-2005, 05:56 AM
I have been noticing that same "clunking". Thought maybe it was caused by the yuppie issued 22's. Guess I'd better take it in.