PDA

View Full Version : 455 Trouble

Chestah Cheetah
06-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Hey guys! Bonehead move by a new boater. I was out at Pyramid testing out my new purchase, a 1969 Cheetah w/a 455 and a berkley. The water valve I guess wasn't open all the way so we heated up. When we opened it and ran it, it cooled very quickly. Then half an hour later it started smoking like crazy from the passenger side head, and a small oil leak out of the drivers side. But, the temp stayed normal. I was puzzled why it stayed cool when it was smoking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SeaSlut
06-12-2001, 05:41 PM
Blown head gasket.
Over heateded and when the cold water rushed into the hot passages some areas cooled faster than others and caused it to warp.
Ever do Topaz?
rog

Chestah Cheetah
06-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Thanks Rog! We figured that's what it was, I was just confused why it stayed cool. The story is, the previous owner said (after this happened) that he was pretty sure that the water valve was suppose to stay closed. Now I'm new but I thought he was wrong and I consulted some people at the ramp and they agreed with me. The previous owner says he will take care of the cost when I take it to his mechanic tommorow. Let's see what happens cause I haven't even gotten to enjoy it yet.
Nver been to Topaz yet. How far from L.A.? I'm always up to check out a new spot.

SeaSlut
06-13-2001, 05:35 AM
When you said Pyramid I assumed you meant the lake outside of Reno. Topaz is a small lake on 395, Nev/Ca border about 40 miles south east of tahoe. One of those places lost in a time warp. i.e. You can still drive and camp on the beach, you dog is allowed, ect.

Chestah Cheetah
06-13-2001, 09:46 AM
Everyone always confuses the two Pyramids. Ours is about 40 min. outside of L.A. Good for daytripping and beerbq's but no camping on the beach.
Just got off the phone with the mechanic, I'm dropping it off tonight. I just hope it's done before July 4th week.

Chestah Cheetah
06-18-2001, 08:23 PM
Here's update. The mechanic said it was just a lose valve cover. We tigthened it and took it back to the lake. It ran fine for a while, just seemed like it was burning off the oil that was on the pipes. Later that day, twice, it wouldn't start and we had to let it sit for about 10 minutes and then it would take some pedal to get it started, even with Mallory ignition. Then the major stuff, it started spewing oild all over the engine compartment and transom. Water was also coming out of the valve cover area. The temperature was 140 range. Also, someone has an idea that I might be running heads from a 350 according to their "measurements". There are (2) holes unused for bolts unused on the heads. Thanks in advance for the great wisdom, maybe some day it will sink in.