PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chips? 2005 'Burb

Super D
11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey there motor gurus,
I know this one has gone around before, but what's the dealio with performance chips - How much $$$ versus how much power gain? And what effect does it have on mileage? Who's is the best and easiest? Do I install, or does someone reprogram for me?
Have a 2005 Suburban, 5.3, 3.42 gears, K&N filter only. Does ok, but want mo' bettah!
Any input???
Thanks,
Super D :cool:

Daytona100
11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Most performance chips reprogrammers etc alter the ignition timeing. With the advanced timeing curve you must run premium fuel. With the price of gas being what it is not sure it would be worth it for a few extra HP. The HP gain is usually minimal. The K&N Filter and exhaust mods are your best bang for the buck unless you have a deisel really impressive hp gains possible. :cool:

goneboatin
11-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Try this outfit for a Wester's computer upgrade. I've got the 6.0 in my truck and it made a world of difference. I've got mine set up to run 91 octane gas. It's not a hotrod, but it really gets up and goes now.
You just tell him what you want, firm shifts, if you changed your tire size, it'll recalibrate your speedo, plus give you more performance. It might also help your mpg. Mine went up 1 mpg in town and 2 mpg on the highway, but I've got a heavy foot.
If you sell your truck down the road, he'll send you a tune for your next vehicle for just shipping. How can you lose?
Check them out and go to the ignition / computer upgrade heading on the left side.
TByrne Motorsports (http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/truckcatalog.html)

sigepmock
11-14-2005, 09:40 AM
I second the Wester's tune. Get's rid of the Torque Management which is programming designed by GM to save them Warranty $$ but is really what makes these motors act like dogs. You can have them programm for 87, 89, or 91 octane. I'd recomended going at least 89 octane tune to get the most for your money.
Chris