PDA

View Full Version : No audio device found ....

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 05:13 AM
since reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows XP HE. The sound of silence hurts. :( I seem to have audio drivers but no device and no sound. Suggestions please. :idea:

JetBoatRich
11-12-2005, 06:42 AM
I take it you have gone through the control panel and tried to add new device :confused:

NorCal Gameshow
11-12-2005, 06:50 AM
since reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows XP HE. The sound of silence hurts. :( I seem to have audio drivers but no device and no sound. Suggestions please. :idea:
what, another virus? :hammer2: :D
what rich said, windows doesn't always recognize these on its own...
also, updating the driver if you haven't already might help

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Yes, I've tried adding new device and yes, I've tried downloading driver updates. No, I don't think it's a virus. I think something is seriously corrupted. :squiggle: My system is claiming I don't have a sound card. :confused: WTF? Yes I bloody well do! It worked just fine before! :mad: Also I've suddenly "lost" my CD-ROM drive my system is not recognizing it even exists. :eek: Maybe I need a new motherboard again already even though this one isn't much more than a year old (I'm thinking less than that even). Why can't it ever be just a simple thing to fix one problem and not have a bunch more immediately crop up? (Don't answer that- I'm just whining - it was rhetorical! :p ) Arrrrrrggghhh! I really hate this. :( I just want my puter to work, my internet to work and my music to play. That's all. No big. :(
ETA: Forgive me thank-you both for your suggestions. :redface: So busy complaining temporarily forgot my manners.

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Well the CD-ROM drive has re-appeared. :) Not sure how or why just glad it's there again.

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:16 AM
did you open the system at all before the reinstall and what did you use for the reinstall? The dactory "restore disk" or is it a whitebox?

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Also is it a sound card or on the motherboard?

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:21 AM
did you open the system at all before the reinstall and what did you use for the reinstall? The dactory "restore disk" or is it a whitebox?
I didn't open the tower, no, if that is what you meant. I definitely opened "My Computer" though. I used my Windows disk to reinstall after I reformatted.

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Also is it a sound card or on the motherboard?
soundcard is embedded in the motherboard

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
right click >>my computer>>Left click properties>>left click hardware>>left click device manager..... Is there any exclamation marks noted as "other devices" or any red?

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Hold the Windows Button and hit pause/break, the System Properties box should pop up. Click Hardware. Click Device Manager. Go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, double click and tell me what's there.
*Audio Codecs
*C-Media AC97 Audio Device (has a yellow ! The error message is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
*Legacy Audio Drivers
*Legacy Video Capture Devices
*Media Control Devices
*Video Codecs

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:30 AM
unmute the sound :DJ/K
You go Bob ;)

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:31 AM
right click >>my computer>>Left click properties>>left click hardware>>left click device manager..... Is there any exclamation marks noted as "other devices" or any red?
Other devices were there before the reinstall with yellow question marks on them but now they are not listed.

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Do any of these have colored exclamation points like something is wrong? It would be where the little speaker is supposed to be.
Yes sorry SWB I edited my post above before I read your question.

soupersonic
11-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Yep you need to d/l the driver for the one that has the yellow question mark on it

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Yep you need to d/l the driver for the one that has the yellow question mark on it
I already did and it seemed to download and install fine but still no sound and still see in sound manager "no audio device found"

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Short version is right click the device with the mark and left click uninstall and restart to have and let windows try to reinstall. Lastly make sure you have the correct drivers.

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Hay bob is that your wife in the green in you're avatar?

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Double click the C-Media line with the exclamation. Click Driver. Click Update Driver. Make sure Install Software Automatically is clicked. Click Next. Tell us what happens.
No change to the status quo. Still no sound device present. I've been trying to download C-Media driver; well it has an earlier version of Realtek driver listed among the possibilities to download when I click update driver, so I grabbed that. The yellow tagged C-Media disappeared and now Realtek AC'97 Audio is in the list of items in Sound, video and game controllers instead of the C-Media and isn't yellow tagged but still the sound manager says no audio device.

bigq
11-12-2005, 07:48 AM
It is. Why? What's going on now? Is she over at your place? Tell her to pick up some milk on the way home. :D
lol... I was just going to give a very respectful compliment.
:wink:
She looks like a very "well rounded" generous lady. :D

BiggusJimbus
11-12-2005, 08:07 AM
If there is a disk that came with your computer (specifically the motherboard), redo the installation process for the non working items, but use the drivers that are located on that disk.
Good Luck.

Kninja1211
11-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Just went through the same thing. I had to go to Compaq to get help www.compaq.com . I had to uninstall sound card devices and reinstall. No problems since.

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Just went through the same thing. I had to go to Compaq to get help www.compaq.com . I had to uninstall sound card devices and reinstall. No problems since.
I'm on an AMD Athlon not a compaq. I don't even know how to locate my soundcard to re-install it. I did run set-up from the disk that came with my motherboard and it re-installed a whole bunch of stuff but still no sound.

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm busy doing some stuff to my boat, but I found a lot of info on this problem.
Try this thread, there's a lot of good info. Just follow their directions about figuring out which motherboard and chipset you have and then download the latest drivers from the web.
http://forums.devshed.com/t174769/s.html
Thank-you, SWB! :cool: I have downloaded the suggested driver now just gotta restart and cross my fingers it will work now. :clover:

76ANTHONY
11-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm busy doing some stuff to my boat, but I found a lot of info on this problem.
Try this thread, there's a lot of good info. Just follow their directions about figuring out which motherboard and chipset you have and then download the latest drivers from the web.
http://forums.devshed.com/t174769/s.html
you have a boat? :D :D

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
That last attempt still didn't resolve the no audio problem. Thanks everybody for trying to help. I appreciated it. :smile: I think I give up. I just don't know what else to do - guess I'll turn on my portable radio.

NorCal Gameshow
11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
to uninstall the sound card :
control panel>
system>
hardware>
device manager>
sounds>
highlight Realtek AC'97 Audio>
right click>
uninstall
go through the add new hardware>
you can give the wizard a shot to find it, or you can
click have disk>
insert your motherboard install disc (the driver should be on it)
if all else fails,
I have a sound card collecting dust i'll send ya' :wink:

Kim Hanson
11-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I can't believe you screwed up another puter Babe :D You must talk way to much girl ;) I would go into Sound and Devices and look to see what is hooked up, if that didn't work! I would then do a System restore to the last time it worked........I don't know shiat about these things though :D ............( . )( . ).............

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
to uninstall the sound card :
control panel>
system>
hardware>
device manager>
sounds>
highlight Realtek AC'97 Audio>
right click>
uninstall
go through the add new hardware>
you can give the wizard a shot to find it, or you can
click have disk>
insert your motherboard install disc (the driver should be on it)
if all else fails,
I have a sound card collecting dust i'll send ya' :wink:
Thanks NS. :smile: The uninstall was successful. The add new hardware wizard worked; it did re-install it. Still no audio device found. :( Whatever needs to acknowledge my current soundcard isn't doing so. I have one - it's a part of my motherboard and it worked real well up until the reformat of my hard drive and subsequent reinstallation of WinXP. :( I don't know how to get my sound back. I have tried all suggestions and nothing has made the audio device showup. I am not even hearing system sounds occasionally my tower beeps at me that is it. I may have to call the repair guy. :idea:

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I can't believe you screwed up another puter Babe :D You must talk way to much girl ;) I would go into Sound and Devices and look to see what is hooked up, if that didn't work! I would then do a System restore to the last time it worked........I don't know shiat about these things though :D ............( . )( . ).............
LOL! That I do Sugar! :D System restore points were wiped clean upon reformat otherwise that is what I'd have tried first. :D

bigq
11-12-2005, 08:56 PM
One last try is to uninstall all of the sound devices you have listed restart then go into the cmos setup when the system is booting up and the disable the onboard sound. Let the computer boot into windows. When you det into windows just make sure all updates are done and disable any anti-virus and spyware you have running. Shut the computer off and restart. Go back into the bios and enable the onboard sound again and boot into windows, let windows install the driver and restart the system one last time. hope this helps otherwise go with SB suggestions and add a sound card, they are cheap nowadays.

NorCal Gameshow
11-12-2005, 08:59 PM
good thing you don't like music :D
try the uninstall again. on install don't let the wizard search for new hardware. use the have disc option and see if the motherboard disc will work.
at least your internet is working :D

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
One last try is to uninstall all of the sound devices you have listed restart then go into the cmos setup when the system is booting up and the disable the onboard sound. Let the computer boot into windows. When you det into windows just make sure all updates are done and disable any anti-virus and spyware you have running. Shut the computer off and restart. Go back into the bios and enable the onboard sound again and boot into windows, let windows install the driver and restart the system one last time. hope this helps otherwise go with SB suggestions and add a sound card, they are cheap nowadays.
I'm no expert bigq I am afraid to mess with my BIOS without direct supervision. That all sounds way complicated. Like something my repair guy might do. :D Thank-you though. :smile:

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 10:17 PM
good thing you don't like music :D
try the uninstall again. on install don't let the wizard search for new hardware. use the have disc option and see if the motherboard disc will work.
at least your internet is working :D
This is not the tell lies thread! :p I don't like music at all ... I'm addicted to it. :wink:
I will try your idea. Thank-you. :smile:
funny you should say at least my internet is working cuz for two days it wasn't. :D So yes I AM glad about that! :cool:

HCS
11-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm late jumping in. But when I logged on tonight I had the same problem.
It took me several updates and re-boots to fix it.
That's why I'm late checking in. What's with that?

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm late jumping in. But when I logged on tonight I had the same problem.
It took me several updates and re-boots to fix it.
That's why I'm late checking in. What's with that?
But yours fixed? What exactly did the trick?

HCS
11-12-2005, 11:01 PM
But yours fixed? What exactly did the trick?
Drink lots of beer. ;)
After several fixes it just worked. Some reason everything was muted.
Un-mute.
My system locked up. Then I re-booted and there was no sound.
Took me an hour of screwing around to get everything up and running right.
Just don't step on ducks!
That damn REXONE! :mad:

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 11:18 PM
It's fixed now. :D There was a little check box in services in the administrative tools area that needed a checkmark. "Allow Windows Audio to interact with the desktop" :D I have sound! Yay! :D

Rexone
11-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Dammit FM if I tol you once I tol you a thousan times you gotta read the destructions. :)

FMluvswater
11-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Dammit FM if I tol you once I tol you a thousan times you gotta read the destructions. :)
I know, I know, Mike. Sorry. :redface: Wish I could promise I'll listen next time but .... you know! :wink: :D :devil: