PDA

View Full Version : Jetovator O-rings Revisited

Hemicbx
11-12-2005, 06:02 AM
So, my boat's an '87 with a JG pump and a jetovator. When I ordered the teflon O-rings, there was an option for "pre-1980" and "1980-later". I chose the 1980 & later.
Now that I have the parts, the jetovator O-ring groove is only an 1/8" wide and the old O-rings came out looking as if they were a square cross section. The new O-rings are round 1/4" cross section.
I understand that the old O-rings may have deformed and taken the square shape of the groove, but I have a hard time believing that these new O-rings will fit. Does anyone know the changes that were made to the O-ring in 1980? Did I get the right thing?
Also, how is the jetovator steering tube's bushing held in the transom adapter? I'm going to powder coat the adapter and I don't want to hurt the bushing with heat.
Thanks
Hemicbx

Squirtin Thunder
11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
So, my boat's an '87 with a JG pump and a jetovator. When I ordered the teflon O-rings, there was an option for "pre-1980" and "1980-later". I chose the 1980 & later.
Now that I have the parts, the jetovator O-ring groove is only an 1/8" wide and the old O-rings came out looking as if they were a square cross section. The new O-rings are round 1/4" cross section.
I understand that the old O-rings may have deformed and taken the square shape of the groove, but I have a hard time believing that these new O-rings will fit. Does anyone know the changes that were made to the O-ring in 1980? Did I get the right thing?
Also, how is the jetovator steering tube's bushing held in the transom adapter? I'm going to powder coat the adapter and I don't want to hurt the bushing with heat.
Thanks
Hemicbx
I have one new O ring that I will send you all you need to do is pm me address info and pay shipping.

Hemicbx
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
This is just one of the reasons I love this board!

BobS
11-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks
Hemicbx
Mine is held with a spring that wraps around the steering tube. The spring is compressed between the collar where the cable housing attaches and the bushing itself. I put a small amount of silicone around the bushing to help hold it in place, so other than the silicone, mine would basically pop out of the transome adapter once I removed the steering tube.