PDA

View Full Version : I need new anti-virus software...........

Rod-64
11-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Which one is better........Norton, Mcaffe????
I'm not a computer genius so I need help on this.
My 2002 Norton that came with the puter, obviously, is out of date even though it runs every Friday night....WTF?? I know I re-upped in 03 but since 04 I've been without anti-virus protection.
Thanx!!

Boatcop
11-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Norton Internet Security 2006.
Covers all the bases. Intrusion, virus, firewall, ad blocking, spy-ware, etc. Weekley automatic updates, or daily manual updates. 1 year subscription with purchase, reewals reasonable.
A must if you're on constant-on broadband.

BiggusJimbus
11-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I've used this successfully for years...
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
And, the price is right.
It does require that you protect yourself for other than viruses, but the Microsoft firewall and new Spyware protection products seem to be working pretty well. And they are free as well.
I find the McAfee and Norton stuff to be cumbersome and come with their own problems.
Good Luck.

soupersonic
11-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I had the AVG until i got a bug it wouldnt get rid of, i bought a virus program called PC Cillin (like $30) and i use Ad Aware and Spybot , they work great

dmontzsta
11-12-2005, 12:50 PM
The Norton and MacAfee for home sucks. You need the corporate editions. The home ones block too much stuff out and can effect your web browsing. Try and find a copy of Norton corporate. :mix:

XtrmWakeborder
11-12-2005, 08:00 PM
And, the price is right.
It does require that you protect yourself for other than viruses, but the Microsoft firewall and new Spyware protection products seem to be working pretty well. And they are free as well.
I find the McAfee and Norton stuff to be cumbersome and come with their own problems.
Good Luck.
Ditto on this, recommended by my computer science professor so i tried it and it works beautifully.

Rexone
11-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I run Trend Micro PcCillin on everything now. No problems whatsoever and it updates hourly if you set it to. It's about $30 but who cares, one virus problem costs way more than that in time just to deal with. That's my view anyway.
I had Norton for years but it's a big resource hog and had some conflicts with other programs as well. I never caught a virus with it though.
I also run the new Microsoft Sypware program as well as Spybot and Adaware. No more bullshit spyware either.
Along with good firewall of course.

Kim Hanson
11-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I had the AVG until i got a bug it wouldnt get rid of, i bought a virus program called PC Cillin (like $30) and i use Ad Aware and Spybot , they work great
That is what I use , all what you have and it updates everyday and works great..............( . )( . ).......... :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I've run Macafee mostly, Norton on Wife's machine at one time, also on kid machine, and have had zero issues. They are all so similar in all the tests that I cannot say one is actually better than another, but I like how McAffee works, adjustability, it suits me.
I use a firewall from Sygate (the one in windows sux, it only watches stuff 1-way, INBOUND, also leaves a lot of ports open). What happens if something slips past? A better firewall looks at data leaving your computer as well as coming into it.
I keep a variety of anti-spyware/addware programs arround as none seem to be effective for everything but as a collection, they seem to cover all the bases. Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Spy hunter, Anti-Trojan, Addware Away.

bigq
11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
AVG good for free, Liking Trend micro, also for servers i use nod32.

bigq
11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I run Trend Micro PcCillin on everything now. No problems whatsoever and it updates hourly if you set it to. It's about $30 but who cares, one virus problem costs way more than that in time just to deal with. That's my view anyway.
I had Norton for years but it's a big resource hog and had some conflicts with other programs as well. I never caught a virus with it though.
I also run the new Microsoft Sypware program as well as Spybot and Adaware. No more bullshit spyware either.
Along with good firewall of course.
Trend Micro has a great spyware remover also. They even do it free online.

Dusty Times
11-12-2005, 10:09 PM
After having issues with other brands not blocking viruses we switched to Norton a few years ago and has worked well. Haven't had any issues with problems with internet at all.
When are we going to have a Kingman Hot Boat Happy Hour?????

BigDogIvan
11-12-2005, 11:01 PM
AVG Grisoft!!! I have it on 6 systems on my home network and have had no problem. All systems have cable access. Ran adaware on all the other day and not a problem with any virus.

maxwedge
11-13-2005, 09:13 AM
PC clllin, But I used to just go to their website www.trendmicro.com and do the free scan evey once in a while.

HP350SC
11-13-2005, 12:07 PM
And, the price is right.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the link BiggusJimbus, my Norton antivirus trial version expired yesterday.
What's your thoughts on ZoneAlarm firewall? I have been using this for a year or so and no problems.

BiggusJimbus
11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link BiggusJimbus, my Norton antivirus trial version expired yesterday.
What's your thoughts on ZoneAlarm firewall? I have been using this for a year or so and no problems.
I have a firewall in my router that covers me. I don't even use the MS one, as I'll forget to open a port then wonder why something isn't working.
The new one MS is peddling with SP2 ought to be just as effective as Zone alarm, and again, free.
The only thing I notice is the random asswipe trying to access my FTP server, therefore, I don't allow anonymous users.
It feels like a full time job keeping the idiots out. But, necessary.
Jim.