PDA

View Full Version : CATS AND SKIING

SCOOTE69
10-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Im about to buy a 21-23 cat (DCB, Cougar, or Eliminator, probably DCB 22) for running fast and skiing. I want to go over 100mph and be able to ski and pull beginner skiers at 23-25 mph. So I have 2 questions Id greatly appriciate help with.
First, what's it like skiing behind a twin o/b cat (Im thinking of 2 300x or, if thats too heavy, 2 2.5's)? Is it doable? Im willing to give up the 5-10 mph on the top end to make the boat better for skiing.
Second, am I better off with a single I/O (or surface drive if one will work with these cats)? And if 1 I/O is better for skiing how much HP am I going to need to get comparable performance to twin 300x's? Im guessing its close to 750-800 hp which means no or little warranty.
Thanks so much for all your insights.

bigorangefan
10-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Scoote69, I just wanted to say welcome to the boards. I will let some of the other folks that are more in tune to your questions give their advice.
Chris

SCOOTE69
10-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks so much. After reading a lot of past posts it seems cats are fine for skiing and the question is really what type of engine and tab set up we will need to pull a skier at 23mph and then speed off at 110 when were done! I hope I can contribute to the board.

Skaterfast
10-06-2002, 04:33 PM
What percentage of skiing are you going to be using the boat.Cats are generaly not what you buy if your going to be using it soly for skiing.That's why you never see a cat pulling a skiir in the Catalina ski race,the cat doesn't break up the rough water enough.I own a cat and I think it is the perfect tube,ski puller,but I'm only doing these things once a year.I'd say the 22 DCB is a great choice with ouboard power.If you are going to be skiin more than 50 or 60 pecent of the time I'd look elsewhere.See ya.

SCOOTE69
10-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Ill be skiing once a week for an hour or two. Most of the time will just be running around. But I do want to be able to pull my girlfriend and her kids--all of whom are beginners and will need to ski in the low 20's. Thanks for your input. Do you think twins O/B will make it much more difficult?

TOBTEK
10-06-2002, 06:18 PM
great choice with the MACH22...if you want twin's you will have to 2.5's twin 300's are to heavy for the 22. If you want a deal on a twin Mach22 go to DCB's used page and call Stan direct...98 with new 2.5's 280hp with 30hrs on them, sweet boat and he's very motivated to sell he's now only asking 58K for it!...tell stan Toby sent you! Or a single 300X I hear isnt a bad way to go either :D

24RODjr
10-08-2002, 05:37 AM
We have a tunnel, and it throws less of a wake than some of the high-dollar ski boats out there. I love skiing behind it :)

Brad Zastrow
10-08-2002, 07:55 AM
A twin will have a lot of turbulance behind the boat and will not be a great ski boat. Any cat has strange wakes and lots of prop wash. I am a rather good skier/barefooter and own a number of cats and will not ski behind them. Go with friends skiing and buy the cat for pleasure. Pulling tubes and light skiing might work ok. My boat insurance will not allow any skiing even if I wanted to! Look into that issue before you buy a 100 mph boat. Cat insurance is expensive, hard to get and with lots of riders attached.

Stoked
10-08-2002, 08:24 PM
SCOOTE69 Sounds like you are looking at some great boats. Before you drop your $ go for demos in all of them. Twin outboards run very hard but your ability to turn quickly is compromised. I am biased, but call Al Stoker at Johns Custom Marine and he will set you up with a demo. I am on my second one and they run very hard and are a great family ski boat that can run 100 with stock power.

HavasuDreamin'
10-09-2002, 06:00 AM
I don't know about the twin O/B powered tunnels, but the single O/B powered tunnels cavitate out of the hole. Not good for skiing. Good Luck

TOBTEK
10-09-2002, 07:02 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I don't know about the twin O/B powered tunnels, but the single O/B powered tunnels cavitate out of the hole. Not good for skiing. Good LuckREALLLLY :( anyway to help this? Maybe one of those funnylookin fins on the lower unit? Mis Tobtek is wanting to ski behind the new rig next yr.

Back To Havasu
10-09-2002, 07:52 AM
I have towed 200lb+ skiers out of deep water with an Eliminator 19 Daytona powered by a Merc 200.
If you sink the engine all the way down with the jack plate, and tilt the motor in with the trim, they will tow fine. In my experience, however, turning your skier sharply requires more skill than with a V-bottom.

HavasuDreamin'
10-09-2002, 08:30 AM
TOBTEK:
HavasuDreamin':
I don't know about the twin O/B powered tunnels, but the single O/B powered tunnels cavitate out of the hole. Not good for skiing. Good LuckREALLLLY :( anyway to help this? Maybe one of those funnylookin fins on the lower unit? Mis Tobtek is wanting to ski behind the new rig next yr.You need a jack plate. I drowned one of my buddies before I put a jack plate on my rig! After you get the jack plate (or if it has one when ordered from DCB), follow Back to Havasu's instructions.

kab
10-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Toby- your going to have to set your rig up for either skiing or running fast. DCB doesn't put jack plates on those boats, hasn't for a few years. If you set it up for skiing you'll do fine, but probably lose 5-10 mph top end.

andy01
10-09-2002, 04:28 PM
TOBTEK What are you doing for power on your 22?
Andy

SCOOTE69
10-10-2002, 03:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. It looks like me and toby are in the same boat--pun intended. I think he is going with a single 300x on a mach 22 and Im leaning towards twins with the only decision to be new or used (or a cougar which I can get with a jack plate). I plan on testing out the same used model Toby looked at which is supposedly set up nicely for skiing. Ive skied behind jets with a rooster tail hitting me in the face and behind a 45' chris craft so Im not too picky. Im going to talk to dcb and cougar to see what experience they have with skiers and will let everyone know (although it seems Toby is about 2 steps ahead of me!) I only wish I could put twin 300x's on the back of it to have the newest engine out there with a warranty and no oil hassles. Ill ask dave if moving the gas tank and everything else to the bow could make that possible. Maybe if I buy used Ill have the engine massaged a bit and see if that helps (I think I read somewhere about O/B superchargers) Again thanks everyone and Toby, Ill call you today and we can figure out what to do!

TOBTEK
10-10-2002, 07:12 AM
racingrascal:
TOBTEK What are you doing for power on your 22?
Andysingle 300x.....(DCB starter boat!)

Tee
10-10-2002, 07:17 AM
Scoote69
I have an Advantage 22 Sport Cat and many of my friends like skiing behind it. I just had to get an extra long rope to get back out of the propwash farther. I guess the high X creates alot of bubles.
Tee

TOBTEK
10-10-2002, 07:22 AM
SCOOTE69:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. It looks like me and toby are in the same boat--pun intended. I think he is going with a single 300x on a mach 22 and Im leaning towards twins with the only decision to be new or used (or a cougar which I can get with a jack plate). I plan on testing out the same used model Toby looked at which is supposedly set up nicely for skiing. Ive skied behind jets with a rooster tail hitting me in the face and behind a 45' chris craft so Im not too picky. Im going to talk to dcb and cougar to see what experience they have with skiers and will let everyone know (although it seems Toby is about 2 steps ahead of me!) I only wish I could put twin 300x's on the back of it to have the newest engine out there with a warranty and no oil hassles. Ill ask dave if moving the gas tank and everything else to the bow could make that possible. Maybe if I buy used Ill have the engine massaged a bit and see if that helps (I think I read somewhere about O/B superchargers) Again thanks everyone and Toby, Ill call you today and we can figure out what to do!If you buy Stans you are going to work over the new 2.5's??????? MAN DONT DO IT! twin 2.5's SHOULD BE enough power (560HP) for any power freak. His RPM have been limited to 7500 and still should push it around 115MPH, you could raise the RPM's up a tat and see more speed, but why? The way it is you can ski, wakeboard, tube-o-death, and still see crazy top speeds. All with pump gas! And you wont be at 9000 RPM thinking of putting a rod through the cases! Have you offerd him the #'s I emailed you? Buy it so I can have a freebe ride!!!!! :D

HavasuDreamin'
10-10-2002, 07:44 AM
IMHO........the DCB 22 with twin 300x's would be a mistake. On that small of a boat, you need rpm's not torque which is the difference between the 2.5L and 300x motors.
If you put 300x motors on a 22' DCB, you would need to run 34" props or more (depending on gear ratio) so that you didn't hit the rev limiter. By running those props, it would be a slug out of the hole. With that boat, you would be better off turning smaller props more rpms.......that would equate to better hole shot and similar top speed. :cool:

TOBTEK
10-10-2002, 08:17 AM
HavasuDreamin':
IMHO........the DCB 22 with twin 300x's would be a mistake. On that small of a boat, you need rpm's not torque which is the difference between the 2.5L and 300x motors.
If you put 300x motors on a 22' DCB, you would need to run 34" props or more (depending on gear ratio) so that you didn't hit the rev limiter. By running those props, it would be a slug out of the hole. With that boat, you would be better off turning smaller props more rpms.......that would equate to better hole shot and similar top speed. :cool: H/D.....Dave wont put twin 300's on a 22. WAY TO HEAVY. to be different and burn some cash laying around the house I think we may put three 125 promax's or four 100 honda's on the back of the new 22... :rolleyes: kidding ofcourse

Jrocket
10-10-2002, 05:47 PM
I talked to Stan last summer about his boat.He was firm at 68K,then I got cold feet and didnt buy it.Now I found out it was still for sale and talked to him again.55K is the price now.i got real serious about buying it until I searched and asked around for insurance......TOO MUCH....Stans boat is well worth the money he wants..IMO! But the insurance premiums are STUPID.What a fukken shame...... :mad:

Cole
10-16-2002, 11:22 AM
NEVER PUT A CAT ON SKIS THEY WILL CLAW THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!!! :confused: Cole

PACKINAIR
10-27-2002, 03:03 PM
http://www.stupidfastboats.com/boat1/Image002.jpg
hell yea you can ski behind a cat (notice the tub?
[ October 27, 2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: PACKINAIR ]

rustyk
10-27-2002, 04:50 PM
What is the make and model of that cat in the air,damn that looks like fun.I bet if you could see the next pic frame it came out of the water. eek! what motor and outdrive also
?
Rusty