PDA

View Full Version : BBC Roller Rockers

gnarley
09-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Who makes the most reliable or best roller rockers these days for BBC's? How much am I going to spend? & what about trunion sizes?
[ September 04, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

1stepcloser
09-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Crane Gold Race Rockers. $269.00 at summitracing.com

West Coast Dave
09-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Comp Cams chrome moly. Lighter at the valve stem and easily rebuilt. Aprox $300. We use them on our circle track car and they've been great.

shockwaveharry
09-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Comp Cams HiTech Stainless Steel (http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/RockerArms/HiTechStainless.asp) The strongest you can get.

Boater Bill
09-04-2002, 04:43 PM
shockwaveharry:
Comp Cams HiTech Stainless Steel (http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/RockerArms/HiTechStainless.asp) The strongest you can get.Yeah but pricey eek! I like the Comp Cams chrome moly ones.

Jordy
09-04-2002, 04:54 PM
1stepcloser:
Crane Gold Race Rockers. $269.00 at summitracing.comCheck your clearances between your spring retainers and the rockers. They tend to come into contact at higher rpm, although I did hear that they were being redesigned to compensate for this little problem.
Jordy :D

HammerDown
09-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Well this could be a Ford-Chevy thing...Crowler Roller rocker's for me. (Anything can and will break)

HBjet
09-04-2002, 06:01 PM
What kind of HP is your motor pushing? Depending on that, you don't have to go with the most expensive.
HBjet

Jordy
09-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Harland Sharp makes some really nice rollers for around $200. My neighbor runs them on his dragster and hasn't ever had a problem with them.
Jordy :D

GofastRacer
09-04-2002, 07:02 PM
The stainless steel rockers are just about bullet proof but they are also heavy!!...These are Crane's, I've been running these for over 10 years (7500)and they still look like new!..And they are also rebuildable!...... :cool:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8d39735d/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Stud+Girdle2.jpg?bc7Imn9AxR4C1n0s

HammerDown
09-04-2002, 07:09 PM
GofastRacer:
The stainless steel rockers are just about bullet proof but they are also heavy!!...These are Crane's, I've been running these for over 10 years (7500)and they still look like new!..And they are also rebuildable!...... :cool:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8d39735d/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Stud+Girdle2.jpg?bc7Imn9AxR4C1n0sSo about how many hrs. do you go before a rebuild?

GofastRacer
09-04-2002, 07:54 PM
That all depends on how big a cam you have, how hard you run it, can't really go by how many hours??, I couldn't begin to tell you how many hours I have on mine, I just go by how I run the motor, if I beat the shit out of it on a weekend, when I get home and back off the valves, I check to make sure they are good to go!!........ :cool:

RandyH
09-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Dear GofastRacer ,
Nice looking setup. I am new to this motor stuff but learning fast. My new motor has Aluminum heads and is a full roller with a solid lifter setup. I was told to adjust the lash cold only at .020 . Why do you back yours off after a hard run? Also I like the way your stud girdles go on. What Brand are they? Mine are CAT, I think and totally sucked to put on.
Thanks For the info!
Randy

Bahner tunnel
09-06-2002, 01:15 AM
Crower stainless steel rollers, own the best the first time .

spectras only
09-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Run speed pro alu full roller ,rebuildable [looks the same as gofast racer's]in a 460 BBF for over 5 yrs without touching it].

stressedout
09-06-2002, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GofastRacer:
[QB]The stainless steel rockers are just about bullet proof but they are also heavy!!...These are Crane's, I've been running these for over 10 years (7500)and they still look like new!..And they are also rebuildable!...... :cool:
The stainless overall weight is heavier than aluminum TRUE, But the weight at the valve is lighter therefore will make more power and will give longer valve train life.
We have had bad luck with aluminum turning them at 8500.
The cheaper aluminum rockers are ok on lower rpm engines.

565edge
09-06-2002, 11:25 AM
i run the comp-cam pro-magnum,there the best before you go to the jesel set-up.

gnarley
09-06-2002, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stressedout:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GofastRacer:
[QB]The stainless steel rockers are just about bullet proof but they are also heavy!!...These are Crane's, I've been running these for over 10 years (7500)and they still look like new!..And they are also rebuildable!...... :cool:
The stainless overall weight is heavier than aluminum TRUE, But the weight at the valve is lighter therefore will make more power and will give longer valve train life.
The cheaper aluminum rockers are ok on lower rpm engines.
If the stainless rockers are heavier the mass still must accelerate & decelerate & would do so at a different rate as compared to a lighter mass which would yield additional HP & throttle response right? Maybe stainless are better for boats but in circle track engines I built in the past we kept the valve train as light as possible to aid quicker throttle response, HP and aid in longevity.
As far as cheap rockers go I’ve also heard some bad stories about cheaper ones like Harland Sharp or others that do not use larger trunions on the main fulcrum or tips.

stressedout
09-11-2002, 04:58 AM
The cheaper aluminum rockers are ok on lower rpm engines.[/qb]
If the stainless rockers are heavier the mass still must accelerate & decelerate & would do so at a different rate as compared to a lighter mass which would yield additional HP & throttle response right? Maybe stainless are better for boats but in circle track engines I built in the past we kept the valve train as light as possible to aid quicker throttle response, HP and aid in longevity.
As far as cheap rockers go I’ve also heard some bad stories about cheaper ones like Harland Sharp or others that do not use larger trunions on the main fulcrum or tips.[/QB][/QUOTE]
Wrong
The stainless rockers are 5% lighter at the valve.
There is less mass due to the extra strength of the stainless steel vs.aluminum.
I agree that harland sharp roller rockers and some others have there limits, that's why we do not recomend them for above 5000 rpm applications.
Steel rockers have a tensile strenght of 235,000# vs. aluminum @ 85,000#
[ September 11, 2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: stressedout ]

Hotcrusader76
09-11-2002, 05:08 AM
1stepcloser:
Crane Gold Race Rockers. $269.00 at summitracing.comCRANE GOLD'S!!!! That's my vote!

GofastRacer
09-11-2002, 06:32 AM
RandyH:
Dear GofastRacer ,
Nice looking setup. I am new to this motor stuff but learning fast. My new motor has Aluminum heads and is a full roller with a solid lifter setup. I was told to adjust the lash cold only at .020 . Why do you back yours off after a hard run? Also I like the way your stud girdles go on. What Brand are they? Mine are CAT, I think and totally sucked to put on.
Thanks For the info!
RandyThanks!, adjust your lash acording to your cam timing tag for aluminum heads!..I's best to back off the valves when you're not going to use it for more than a couple of days!, it's not good for springs to sit in a compressed mode, they will get fatigued quick, your springs will live a lot longer this way!..I figure, 20 minutes to run the valves is worth it to preserve the life of the springs!...My stud girdles are "Websters" and they are about the easiest ones to install I've ever used!..My rockers are Crane, they are over 10 years old, still like new, also have a set of Crane adjustable ratio rockers!!..... :cool:
[ September 11, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Sangster
09-11-2002, 06:59 AM
shockwaveharry:
Comp Cams HiTech Stainless Steel (http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/RockerArms/HiTechStainless.asp) The strongest you can get.90% of the boats I run with Including our two hydros use these with no problems.....