PDA

View Full Version : pulling skiers AND riding rough harbours with a jet boat (1st Post)

evo rob
05-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi Guys, (and Gals)
I am looking to buy a jet boat however I have some specific requirements.
A) it needs to be able to pull out 2 fairly heavy guys on single skies.
B) be able to be smooth in Sydney Harbour (and YES, that is how you spell "Harbour" ;) )
Sydney Harbour has heaps of very rough days on account of ferries and swell that rolls in from open seas.
I want to be able to tackle the swells and not have my back pounded 3 inches shorter and not pull back power all that much.
I was thinking of Sugar Sands OASIS (with 250HP Optimax) however it may be a little underpowered for my needs.
Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Robert
Down Under
edit . type of boat

Red Horse
05-14-2006, 03:55 AM
A jet boat with enough power, BBC 400-450+ HP will do it.
Dont know what kind of boat you are talking about and have never been to Australia, however I have been on Mead with some real nasty waves in my jet. No matter what you do, a small boat will beat you up.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-14-2006, 05:06 AM
If you want to smooth harbor swells in a jet boat, better get a Trident. And definitely no problem hauling skiiers. You'd have trouble tying enough people on to give it trouble.
The Trident Revolution is one sweet machine, but seriously "upper end". The creator posts on here, and it is one truly premium boat. Wish I could drop that kind of coin.
http://www.tridentboats.com/
As said before, a small boat (under about 25' or so) will beat on you in decent swells in a coastal situation.

evo rob
05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I will stick this in the correct forum if this is the wrong place to ask?
Mods, please let me know
Cheers
RR

SmokinLowriderSS
05-15-2006, 02:34 AM
IMO, you're in the right forum, but you're looking at a pretty specialized situation.

jbone
05-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Gooday Rob,
I've been to OZ many times. Mostly the Gold Coast, but I think you need a deeper v bottom for Sydney.
You mention wanting a jet boat, and an Optimax. They are two different things.
I think in those conditions you'll be better of with something made for skiing, like a Mastercraft or something.
Good luck, and throw back a couple of VB's or XXXX's for me.
J

RiverRacer
05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
As well as swells rolling in from the open seas, aren't there big Sharks that roll in also?? Hope those 2 guys NEVER fall out there, lol. RR

Froggystyle
05-15-2006, 10:22 AM
As stated before, our boat would do it beautifully, though it may not be exactly what you want... It certainly wouldn't have a problem with the seas, skiiers or living in Sydney!
I have quite a few pictures of teammates of mine tooling around in the harbor with Zodiacs and such. From all accounts, it is no worse than San Diego Bay, and we go out there all the time (going out today in fact...).
From a seaworthiness standpoint, I can't think of another high performance jet that is the Revolution's equal. Same with accelleration.
Let me know if you want any more information on the boat, or any derivative packages we can put together for you. (Merc power etc...)
Cheers,
Wes

SB
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
The sugar sand boat is way too small and underpowered.
Look at the ski race boats, big vdrives.
Any big block jet will suit your purpose, get as big a hull as possible, over 20'.

obnoxious001
05-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Robert
I replied to your same post in the other forum, apparently it was deleted. Are you looking for a training boat for ski racing? I know most of your races over there are 2 up. Jet probably is not the way to go, won't give you very good fuel economy, and it's pretty tough on skiers when the pump cavitates, unless you need it for a jet boat class in your racing. I have raced behind a couple of jets over here. it can be done, but would not be my first choice. Why don't you want to run a leg boat? Seems like that might be best for practice in the harbor(the way I spell it)