PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Noise

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a Compaq Presario with a 250GB HD. The HD is usually near silent. Lately, it has been getting louder when you go to access files or save stuff etc. It sounds like a noisey drive motor. The drive keeps running for about 30-60 seconds after I am done accessing it. I am worried that the drive is gonna crash. The computer is only 6 months old. Is this sound a bad sign?

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
You're DOOMED!!!!!! :D
The original HD in my Dell always made a bunch of noise, I never thought anything of it till the damn thing didn't start up one day... :burningm: I lost a bunch of pics and data. The HD I replaced it with is nice and quiet, so I've come to the conclusion that they aren't supposed to make noise.
Personally, I would look at replacing it before I lost everything.

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
You're DOOMED!!!!!! :D
The original HD in my Dell always made a bunch of noise, I never thought anything of it till the damn thing didn't start up one day... :burningm: I lost a bunch of pics and data. The HD I replaced it with is nice and quiet, so I've come to the conlcusion that they aren't supposed to make noise.
Personally, I would look at replacing it before I lost everything.
How did I know the first reply would contain the phrase,"You're Doomed!"?
:rollside:
Now, what is the best way to back-up a hard drive?

Jordy
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Now, what is the best way to back-up a hard drive?
Last time my mom had to send her winbook in to be worked on, we backed the whole thing up on my desktop. I've got the USB cable adapters to do it. Really easy and didn't take anytime at all, in comparison to burning CD's and going that route.

Jordy
11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
p.s. Happy birthday. ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
11-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I have a Compaq Presario with a 250GB HD. The HD is usually near silent. Lately, it has been getting louder when you go to access files or save stuff etc. It sounds like a noisey drive motor. The drive keeps running for about 30-60 seconds after I am done accessing it. I am worried that the drive is gonna crash. The computer is only 6 months old. Is this sound a bad sign?
Laptop or desktop? I had a Compaq Presarios for work and the HD started making loud noises as well. All in all, went through 3 HD in the span of 3 years. Glad the POS is gone!

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
p.s. Happy birthday. ;)
Thanks. Too bad I'm working :cry:

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Laptop or desktop? I had a Compaq Presarios for work and the HD started making loud noises as well. All in all, went through 3 HD in the span of 3 years. Glad the POS is gone!
Desktop. I should have stayed with the e-machine. I have 4 of them and they all work fine, just old and slow. I thought I would step-up this time, go figure.

Rexone
11-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd be backin up, sooner rather than later. :squiggle:

Jyruiz
11-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I'd be backin up, sooner rather than later. :squiggle:
Get a USB hard drive and back up all your stuff to it regularly, like pics, music, documents and so on.

Rexone
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Exactly what I do. I use a 120g external Iomega, just plug in and done. Plus its faster speed than most internal drives. And relatively cheap.

BajaMike
11-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Back it up....quick... :eat:
I love those external USB drives..... :eat:
:2purples: :2purples:

JetBoatRich
11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
did you back up your hard drive yet :rolleyes:

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Get a USB hard drive and back up all your stuff to it regularly, like pics, music, documents and so on.
Great idea. That sounds easy as my other machines don't have enough room to back this one up.
Is there back-up/restore software???

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
did you back up your hard drive yet :rolleyes:
Nope, livin' on the edge. If I don't post for a day or so, you know I fell off :D
Going to Best Buy or Frys in the AM.

JetBoatRich
11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Nope, livin' on the edge. If I don't post for a day or so, you know I fell off :D
Going to Best Buy or Frys in the AM.
I am not a FRYS fan for these items :rolleyes:
Good luck :rolleyes:

Outnumbered
11-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I am not a FRYS fan for these items :rolleyes:
Good luck :rolleyes:
Why would that be?

JetBoatRich
11-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Why would that be?
I like to stay away from them on these items.
Heard stories of refurbished parts there, a hard drive or a back up is too important to take a chance.

BiggusJimbus
11-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I do most of my business with these guys...
newegg.com
Prices are great, service is great.
Delivery is damn quick.
Good Luck.

Beer-30
11-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, back it up. Compaq uses the cheapest components (next to Emachines), so it could go at any time.
Lots of people at my work have purchased Compaq laptops for the price, but the problems aren't worth it.

Jyruiz
11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Great idea. That sounds easy as my other machines don't have enough room to back this one up.
Is there back-up/restore software???
If you keep everything under "my documents" then I would just move that folder over to the USB drive. No need for any backup software.

2Driver
11-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I have a cool boat yada yada:$52,000 Buy before Thanksgiving and I will throw in a free lap-top :rollside: