PDA

View Full Version : rope deflecters

placecrafttim
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Can someone post some detailed pics of rope deflecters for me? I havn't seen any close up to get any good ideas. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks, Tim

TRG
11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Im sure anyone who uses then is at or on their way to pheonix but i saw a real nice looking deal on a friends boat where he came off of each head (top holes) and used a tube bender fron harbor freight, ans made two bends (4 bends total) and brought the two ss tubes together just half way over the scoop and had the two tubes welded together at a point then polished it! looks killer, i think i have a pic somewhere, i'll see what i can come up with!
Todd

TRG
11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
saw this on another thread, kinda gives you an idea...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/Badidea01/Nov2005011.jpg[/QUOTE]

placecrafttim
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks. Also I was wondering if there is a degree "angle" that you are limited to?

Cheyenne372
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Here is a reprint from the SDBA Rulebook. I would say that probably will see some changes before next season, but here it is for now.
Holding Rope Deflector - A holding rope deflector is required on all boats in order to deflect the holding rope over the highest as well as around the widest points of the boat from the driver's seat rearward. The design of the deflector should be such that a driver may simply drop the holding rope behind his helmet as he proceeds away from the rope, and the rope should not subsequently snag, hang, pull, or catch any part whatsoever of the boat, engine, carburetor scoop, injector hat or tubes, flatbottom wing, miscellaneous hardware, and so forth. On open boats. the holding rope deflector must be solidly attached at both ends as well as attached or supported at the highest point behind the driver with no protruding points to catch the holding rope or to injure the driver in the event of an accident. The deflector must extend forward at approximately a forty-five (45) degree angle, which should be sufficient to deflect or guide the holding rope up, over, and around whatever is located behind the driver. Construction is to be of 3/4 inch O.D. (outside diameter) x .049 inch wall thickness tubing or any material or combination of materials having the same structural strength and integrity. Capsule boats utilizing a holding rope deflector between the capsule and the engine must employ a slip joint at one end so the the capsule and engine are not bolted together by means of the deflector. Plastic encased wire rope may be used between the engine and wing on flatbottoms equipped with a wing.

moneysucker
11-16-2005, 03:51 PM
saw this on another thread, kinda gives you an idea...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/Badidea01/Nov2005011.jpg[/QUOTE]
I have a single one like this that goes from the top of the stack tank lid over the injection hat and secures to the blower restraint. 1 screw detaches it from the fuel lid and I can flip it up to add gas or whatver. I used SS bimini hardware from west marine for the tube ends and attachment points.

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Cy, how about a pic ???

screamdreambrad
11-16-2005, 08:13 PM
45 degree angle or close. 1/2 tubing.or alot of guys get away with two rods like in the picture tman posted. todd get over here!

TRG
11-17-2005, 04:54 PM
all i can say is good luck brad, you wont see me this weekend!

Cheyenne372
11-18-2005, 03:48 AM
The problem with the 45 degree angle spec is that it does not say where that 45 is measured from...... :cool:

BUSBY
11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Here's an older pic of my deal ... the one posted above is ours also, but on the jet boat, same design ... but this one is of the old BBC Hydro set up ... look exactly like the Jet boat ones ... but we had to weld different mounting hardware. We used Stainless Steel tubing ...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2358busby2.jpg

BUSBY
11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
That would be true ... but only on the outramp ... when the rope is going over slowly ...
Rope deflectors were originated because of the starting rope at a take off speed ... the 45* angle (if hit) would only make the rope fling upwards and over ...
But hopefully that'll never be tested ...

Cheyenne372
11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry about that Brian. I went to edit my post and deleted it!
Hope you're right, but there has been some discussion about deflectors down here in and I know that there is supposed to be some sort of specs that will make things uniform.

BUSBY
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Sorry about that Brian. I went to edit my post and deleted it!
Oops! It happens ...
I know that there is supposed to be some sort of specs that will make things uniform.
The reason the deflector's came about years ago was due to the way boats were launched to go to the rope and the way the boats took off.
Boats used to drive or pull themselves out to the rope (there were no SeaDoo's to assist loading) ... there was also no center barge to lift the rope, the other drivers on the rope used to lift it for take off. One too many times did an engine hold up on the rope and in some cases broke it, snapping it and whipping the ends back to the drivers ... not good.
That's where they came from ... I have a couple of good videos from the early 80's where this happened ... once at Parker and once at Ming ... scary stuff ...
here's ours ... pretty simple ... IMO, over-engineering it wouldn't make sence.
NJBA's Rule:
10. A device will be required on all boats, which will deflect the holding rope over the highest point of the boat. Minimum specifications 3/4 x .049 tubing mounted at an approximate 45 degree angle and attached at both ends.

superdave013
11-21-2005, 05:57 PM
NJBA's Rule:
10. A device will be required on all boats, which will deflect the holding rope over the highest point of the boat. Minimum specifications 3/4 x .049 tubing mounted at an approximate 45 degree angle and attached at both ends.
That does not look like 3/4" tube to me. lol You rule breaker you! lol
(non of them look like 3/4" to me)

sleekcrafter
11-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Now the 3/4 X .049 tubing spec is based on (any) tubing, via aluminum, stainless, or steel, or have the rigidity of the above. Be it lesser dia. but as stong as the above spec? Is there some give or take, in the tech session?
Sleek

superdave013
11-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Now the 3/4 X .049 tubing spec is based on (any) tubing, via aluminum, stainless, or steel, or have the rigidity of the above. Be it lesser dia. but as stong as the above spec? Is there some give or take, in the tech session?
Sleek
there must be some give. He's the race director and that is no way 3/4" OD tube. I ran 1/2" (0.035" wall to boot) when I raced. Nobody runs 3/4" from what I remember.

BUSBY
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
OK ... you caught me ... but it is .049! Really it is! :D I swear!
And I agree ... I don't think any are 3/4" od ... could you see that? They'd be huge ...
Obviously, this needs to be revisited in our rulebook ...

superdave013
11-21-2005, 10:45 PM
OK ... you caught me ... but it is .049! Really it is! :D I swear!
And I agree ... I don't think any are 3/4" od ... could you see that? They'd be huge ...
Obviously, this needs to be revisited in our rulebook ...
You can tell the rookies buy the 3/4" deflectors. lol
take you time in the rule book. I'm sure it read that way back in 87 too. lol

Cs19
11-22-2005, 06:09 AM
I bet the some thin wall 3/4 alum tubing is still lighter than than all that stainless.
Whats up with Phoenix? Nobody holds the rope up for you,the rope bounced off my deflector just about every run.

BUSBY
11-22-2005, 09:09 AM
I bet the some thin wall 3/4 alum tubing is still lighter than than all that stainless.
Whats up with Phoenix? Nobody holds the rope up for you,the rope bounced off my deflector just about every run.
Hey now ... don't step on the IHBA'ers toes ... they love their way of doing things ...
I like our barge and the lifting of the rope I also like our "small home town" feeling at NJBA.
Going this past weekend, while fun and seeing a lot of old friends, reminded me of why I like NJBA so much and stopped w/ IHBA.
As a secondary note, the 3/4" spec is old ... but as far as rigidity, tech just makes sure that it's solid and doesn't feel as if it will flex under pressure. I called our lead tech inspector (Joe Shelfo) and asked him ... so it's straight out of the horses mouth ...

Cs19
11-23-2005, 07:59 AM
MPD makes CNC'ed rope guard mounts with quick release pins, all you need to do is buy some 3/4 o.d. alum tubing and bend it up yourself with a conduit bender.
Where/when do you plan on racing?

placecrafttim
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Wanna try it out racing next season at ming. Just wish it was a little closer to home.
Do you have any pics of the mount?