PDA

View Full Version : SMALL BLOCK CARBURATION

JIMS
04-17-2002, 10:09 PM
I RECENTLY EXCHANGED MY 1995 MC 260 HP WITH A ZZ3 405HP AND WONDERING WHAT IS THE BEST CARBURATION TO RUN.I'VE HEARD HOLLEY 750 WITH VACUUM SECONDARIES AND ELECTRIC CHOKE WORKS WELL. WHAT MODEL # DO YOU SUGGEST? THE STOCK CARB. (CARTER) WORKS LIKE CRAP,TIP IN HESITATION EVEN BEFORE MOTOR SWAP.ALSO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A DISTRIBUTOR ?
OR CAN THE STOCK HEI BE MODIFIED TO INCREASE THE REV LIMITER?

Jungle Boy
04-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JIMS:
I RECENTLY EXCHANGED MY 1995 MC 260 HP WITH A ZZ3 405HP AND WONDERING WHAT IS THE BEST CARBURATION TO RUN.I'VE HEARD HOLLEY 750 WITH VACUUM SECONDARIES AND ELECTRIC CHOKE WORKS WELL. WHAT MODEL # DO YOU SUGGEST? THE STOCK CARB. (CARTER) WORKS LIKE CRAP,TIP IN HESITATION EVEN BEFORE MOTOR SWAP.ALSO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A DISTRIBUTOR ?
OR CAN THE STOCK HEI BE MODIFIED TO INCREASE THE REV LIMITER?
I have a ZZ4 motor in one of my boats and a 750 holly mechanical works great. I have also installed a set of 1.6 roller rocker arms to replace the 1.5 stamped ones.

Hotcrusader76
04-22-2002, 11:17 AM
I would honestly stick with the Holley 750-850 4779-4781 Double pumpers with that sort of Horsepower. Are you running a Jet? If so stay away from the Vacuum secondaries. The Double pumper will give you a little more top end, and should work perfect with the high rpms.
I think the boyz with drives would benefit with vacuum secondaries, but high horsepower motors need that fuel...Give it to them with a double pumper.

Hotcrusader76
04-22-2002, 11:19 AM
JIMS....I'll buy that 750 Vacuum secondary off you. Just make an offer!
tpcracing76@hotmail.com

BlownChevy
04-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76:
JIMS....I'll buy that 750 Vacuum secondary off you. Just make an offer!
tpcracing76@hotmail.com
Just for your information, you should not put vacuum secondaries on a boat unless you know how to adjust them really well, (springs etc) a boat is usually doing high RPM and that is when engine vacuum is at the lowest, highest is at low speed/idle, mechanical secondaries would be the best bet unless you really know your shit about vacuum secondaries because they can be hard to adjust... good luck!

Hotcrusader76
04-22-2002, 09:50 PM
Not to brag or anything, but just so I seem like a credible person. I am opening a business modifying carburetors. I so agree with ya' BLOWNCHEVY....DP's are the ticket for boats, and the average "cat" should steer clear of the 3310 carburetors, they can be tricky if your clueless. I run 660 Center Squirters on my tunnel ram, Rect head BB Chevy. I wouldn't dream of using Vacuum secondaries personally. Sorry if I sounded for it. Don't get me wrong, 3310's are awesome, but ya' better know your "springs"
Drop me a line if you ever need some work done.
tpcracing76@hotmail.com Website will be finished by Memorial Weekend or so.
Check out these two carbs I have "For Sale"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1823743579&r=0&t=0
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1823782700&r=0&t=0
[This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited April 22, 2002).]