PDA

View Full Version : Will Cylinder pitting break the rings?

Mighty Thor
11-16-2005, 09:43 AM
I got a 455 olds from a boat with a busted Jacuzzi pump and had intended to put it in my Hondo project. upon inspection I found some internal rust and water and so I pulled the bearings and heads. The crank can be polished but running a ball hone down the cylinders did not remove the pitts from the rust in the cylinders. I have two engines being built right now (another 455 and a 460) and cannot pay for a third at this time so I want to just put new bearings and gaskets in this one and run it. It shows signs of having been rebuilt a short time ago. IE hone marks still in the cylinders, no visible bearing wear. also the engine had been balanced. I know it will be a smoker and down on compression, but I can live with that for the time being, I just don't know if the pits will result in ring breakage. Opinions?

lucky
11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I got a 455 olds from a boat with a busted Jacuzzi pump and had intended to put it in my Hondo project. upon inspection I found some internal rust and water and so I pulled the bearings and heads. The crank can be polished but running a ball hone down the cylinders did not remove the pitts from the rust in the cylinders. I have two engines being built right now (another 455 and a 460) and cannot pay for a third at this time so I want to just put new bearings and gaskets in this one and run it. It shows signs of having been rebuilt a short time ago. IE hone marks still in the cylinders, no visible bearing wear. also the engine had been balanced. I know it will be a smoker and down on compression, but I can live with that for the time being, I just don't know if the pits will result in ring breakage. Opinions?
save up and do it right - only asking for problmes

myoung
11-16-2005, 10:22 AM
The short answer is no. This is done all the time as a temporary thing with the only real consequences being the smoking and comression loss. Depending on how bad the pitting is, some rings will never be able to fully seat and those cylinders will be more affected. We had to go this route with a buddy's boat due to a lack of funds to go with the full rebuild and it worked just fine.
However, I have to agree, it's always best to do it right. :wink:

DansBlown73Nordic
11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Throw it together and run it. Whats it going to hurt???