PDA

View Full Version : Denver, Colorado Property

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Has anyone lived/been to Denver or the surrounding areas? I've had a fascination of living there for the past few years and I'm trying to talk the wifey into possibly moving there. Is there any pros/cons about Colorado... lakes, family friendly, atv riding, etc? Any info would be appreciated. Please only serious comments. I know there are many comedians on these boards. :D

Freak
11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Has anyone lived/been to Denver or the surrounding areas? I've had a fascination of living there for the past few years and I'm trying to talk the wifey into possibly moving there. Is there any pros/cons about Colorado... lakes, family friendly, atv riding, etc? Any info would be appreciated. Please only serious comments. I know there are many comedians on these boards. :D
I attended college in Fort Collins--CSU. Right above Denver. I spent some time there. It has its good neighborhoods and bad ones just like any other city. One thing for sure it's cold in the winter.

Flashover
11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I was asked to move there a couple of times with my previouse employer. I have been there a few times, it is fun to go drinking and partying there, But i wouldn't live there thats just my .02. Everything there seems very far apart with lots of driving between places. Downtown is cool though with good resturaunts and great places to drink beer. Houses are a little pricey as well. Good luck :D

little rowe boat
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I love the area.I have family in Castlerock and I lived in Vail for a winter.Summers are beautiful.

Sleek-Jet
11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Are you fasinated with Colorado, or Denver??? Denver is Eastern Kansas.
If you want Colorado, take a good look at Grand Junction. It's only a couple hours from Lake Powell, Canyon Lands, and is close to some pretty good skiing (Telluride, Crested Butte). As for the time being, there is lots of ATV activity on the National Forests, plus plenty of fishing and hunting if that's your thing.
I'm a bit biased since I lived most of my life on the Western Slope, but my impression of Denver after living there for a few years is it's just a big city... at 5000 feet. :D
Get used to 3 seasons, Winter, Summer, and Fall... Spring is usually pretty short if non-existant. Summers are warm, but kinda short. Fall is what makes living there nice. :D
One perk is you get to use the water before anyone else... :D

syke-o
11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
one downside is they have a ban on all pit bull type dogs in denver :( .... but that would only effect you if you owned that type dog...

Blacksheep
11-16-2005, 11:55 AM
I lived there for 20 years there and that's where I grew up. I lived in both Golden and Arvada. Great area, great schools and obviously lots to do. It is getting quite crowded there now and all the open space is getting developed so it is growing quite rapidly. We did most of our boating at either Standley Lake, Cherry Creek Res, Chatfield Res, Grand Lake, Dillon Res, Bonny Res, and Jackson Res. At the time speed limit on lakes was 40 mph, unless it's changed.
Anything specific you are looking for? Feel free to send me a pm.

HCS
11-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Are you going to move there to torment Bronco fans? :D
I really thought you were kidding. :jawdrop:

riverroyal
11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
moved from OC to colorado springs,they love it,trying to get us to move there.They also have a cabin in Cripple Creek,where ever that is,I know my Father in law fly fishes alot.A whole nother world from socal living

dicudmore
11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Well for one thing...that would put your service connection ~2,000 miles away :cry: :rolleyes:

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I really appreciate all the input from everyone. As someone noted, I'm intrigued by the state of Colorado and not Denver. I'm a huge Raiders fan, so obviously I would like to be near Denver so I could ruffle some feathers at the Oakland/Denver games. I'm looking to be somewhere in between a city area and the countryside as I live in a rapidly growing city. Does that exist out there? I have never lived in the snow (except in the military) so I would have no idea how to maintain the upkeep of the yard. I'm sure if it happens it would be an experience I'd never forget. Of course I would like to be in the mortgage lending business still and would need to find something out there first. Thanks again. :D

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Well for one thing...that would put your service connection ~2,000 miles away :cry: :rolleyes:
Would GMC cover the shipping cost for maintenance checkups? :)

COELIMINATOR
11-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Are you fasinated with Colorado, or Denver??? Denver is Eastern Kansas.
If you want Colorado, take a good look at Grand Junction. It's only a couple hours from Lake Powell, Canyon Lands, and is close to some pretty good skiing (Telluride, Crested Butte). As for the time being, there is lots of ATV activity on the National Forests, plus plenty of fishing and hunting if that's your thing.
I'm a bit biased since I lived most of my life on the Western Slope, but my impression of Denver after living there for a few years is it's just a big city... at 5000 feet. :D
Get used to 3 seasons, Winter, Summer, and Fall... Spring is usually pretty short if non-existant. Summers are warm, but kinda short. Fall is what makes living there nice. :D
One perk is you get to use the water before anyone else... :D
Ssssshhhhhhhhhhh. Quiet, we have enough people moving here. Lived here my entire life. Great place that's for sure.
Sam

Mike.A
11-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Just moved to AZ from Centennial (just outside of Denver) 1-1/2 years ago. I dont miss the weekly snow drill at all but weekends on the sled were a blast. Only 90 minutes away from some of the best skiing & snowmobiling in the country. Any specific areas arround Denver you looking at ? Still talk to freinds and business partners there everyday, Any specifics you need just ask and I could find out for ya.

ViB
11-16-2005, 02:52 PM
We actually live in Denver, went to CSU in Fort Collins, and have been in this area for almost 20 years. We moved away a few times, even lived on Lake Ozark for a while, but we still prefer Denver to anywhere else.

Sleek-Jet
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Ssssshhhhhhhhhhh. Quiet, we have enough people moving here. Lived here my entire life. Great place that's for sure.
Sam
Oh yeah, I forgot... nevermind...
Move to Denver... :D :D :D
Sleek <---------- Colorado Native

11-16-2005, 07:27 PM
it sucks snows, ,traffic, summer time rains at 400 all the time, left in 84 been
back 2 times april and sept and snowed every time i go there have fun
freezing your ass in the cold car seats, scraping the windshield my .o2
oh by the way did you see that game sunday, i thing the raiders really
think that the cellar is first place.

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
it sucks snows, ,traffic, summer time rains at 400 all the time, left in 84 been
back 2 times april and sept and snowed every time i go there have fun
freezing your ass in the cold car seats, scraping the windshield my .o2
oh by the way did you see that game sunday, i thing the raiders really
think that the cellar is first place.
Yeah... I know. I was at the game. F'in Raiders. The rest of this season is pretty much an early pre-season for next year. :mad:

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 09:16 PM
you may also have to lazer off the "raider-nation" tattoo :shift: (had to do it) i lived in vail for five years and ski raced after high school, fun-times in colo, and denver is fun too . good luck - go broncs - keyes
Is Vail very populated? I've heard it's a great place to ski. About the tattoo... I'm not sure I want that scar on my arse or not lol. :)

11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
red eye
just hang on to your place here in calif u will be back

Boozer
11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I posted in Hot Spots Central and it's a pretty long post.
Where do you want to be?
If you want to be in the city but feel like you're in the middle of a forrest I'd suggest living in the Cherry Creek or Belcaro area. My GF's parents just bought a mansion in one of the most elite communities in the state for 1.9 million but you can find a nice 3 bedroom home for about 450K in the area. The house we are looking at buying is in the same area 1600 sf 2 br 2 bath and we are going to offer 460 for it.
If you want to be in the frrest but close to the city you should look into Evergreen and Lookout Mountain. Also parts of Golden and Arvada are pretty much in the forest but you're only about 20 minutes from downtown Denver. A 3 bedroom 2 bath house out that way will run you around 375K or so.
As far as grand junction goes.. Well it's fine and dandy if you like the redneck lifestyle. Lots of wanna be thugs and tweakers running around out there. The economy is sh*t it's a very poor area in my opinion. Colorado Springs is an okay place but kinda redneck. Same thing as grand junction when it comes to the economy it's sh*tty so there's definitely a lot of tweakers and wanna be thugs.

Boozer
11-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Is Vail very populated? I've heard it's a great place to ski. About the tattoo... I'm not sure I want that scar on my arse or not lol. :)
Vail gets pretty crowded in the winter months. You'll definitely rub elbows with lots of celebs and the heated roads are pretty neat.

Sleek-Jet
11-17-2005, 08:08 AM
As far as grand junction goes.. Well it's fine and dandy if you like the redneck lifestyle. Lots of wanna be thugs and tweakers running around out there. The economy is sh*t it's a very poor area in my opinion. Colorado Springs is an okay place but kinda redneck. Same thing as grand junction when it comes to the economy it's sh*tty so there's definitely a lot of tweakers and wanna be thugs.
If you're in the oil and gas industry, and construction, Junction's economy is far from shitty'... and maybe if people did more than blast through town on I-70, they would know that.
It all comes down to what you want. I grew up where everybody lived farther than 5 feet from your neighbor. You can see the mountains in the winter. Drive-by shootings involved stopping the truck and walking off the road far enough to be legel during hunting season.
I was just making the point that Denver does not equal Colorado, a common mistake. There's a big state out there.