PDA

View Full Version : Denver, Colorado Property

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Has anyone lived/been to Denver or the surrounding areas? I've had a fascination of living there for the past few years and I'm trying to talk the wifey into possibly moving there. Is there any pros/cons about Colorado... lakes, family friendly, atv riding, etc? Any info would be appreciated. Please only serious comments. I know there are many comedians on these boards.

H2OT TIMES
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I live in Longmont, CO. about 35 miles north of Denver. There are anumber of lakes around here but, most are small. Glencoe, WY seems to be the closest hot boat hang out. I haven't been there yet. I just moved here about a year ago from Dallas and my boat isn't finished yet. I think Glencoe is about 200 miles from Denver but, not positive. To the best of my knowledge the lakes close to or in Denver have 40 MPH speed limits and some enforce them ridgedly. Sorry I can't be more help but, I haven't actually been out on these lakes yet.

ECeptor
11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I love vacationing in Colorado. But I wouldn't live in Denver due to it's tremendous smog problem. The haze in the mornings was unbelievable when I was out there last summer.
With that said, there is a lot to do within just a few hours drive of Denver.
I've never boated in Colo....so no help there.

Red Eye
11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info. As far as the smog goes, it would be nothing that I'm not already used to. I live near the LA area, so I'm already breathing that nasty air everyday.

Boozer
11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
I live in Denver. I moved here in 1998 from So-Cal and stayed here until July of 04. For some reason I thought I was missing out on something amazing in California and had to move back. After living and starving for the last year and a couple months I decided to come back to Denver and I don't know why I ever left in the first place.
Con's to living in Denver:
The economy here was booming because telecom is what makes this city go round. When the telco companies took a sh*t so did the economy. The economy is slowly rebounding but still hasn't made a full recovery yet.
There aren't any good lakes near by. All the local lakes are only about 2,000 acres and get PACKED full of boats.
Smog. Last I heard Denver has the worst smog in the country. The air quakity has definitely improved over the years but we definitely have a smog problem.
You can't buy booze on Sundays. State laws require that liqour stores be closed on Sunday and grocery stores sell 3.2% beer which will give you more heart burn then it will a buzz.
Cost of Housing. If compared to California Denver is a cheap place to live but compared to the rest of the country this place is pretty pricey. A 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a decent area will run you about $275K. Not a bad price at all but with the economy here still recovering it's not an easy task finding a job that will afford you a $275K home.
Pro's to living in Denver.
The Bronco's. Everyone knows it to be a fact that the Denver Broncos are the best football team in the NFL period. You live in Denver you get to go tot he Bronco games.
The GREAT OUTDOORS. Colorado in general is a haven for those who love the outdoors. Just a 30 minute drive from Denver will take you to one of multiple different places to hike, bicycle, kayak, raft, ski, offroad, etc. This place is amazing when it comes to outdoor activities and I dont think you will find a better place for it.
The skiing/Snowboarding. Driving an hour West of Denver will take you to world class ski resorts. People come from all over the world and pay big bucks to ski in our backyard. When you live here it is YOUR backyard and you can ski/ride in some of the best stuff in the world whenever you'd like. The same applies for snowmobiling Most of the ski towns offer 100's of miles of trails for snowmobiling.
The recovering economy. Because the economy is down here their is TONS of potential for new business growth. This place would be a perfect place to start your own business and theres lots of room for it to grow.
The People. The people here are amazing, that is of course as you long as you stay North of Littleton. Everywhere you go people are smiling and saying hello asking you how you're doing and so on. But AGAIN that is IF and only IF you stay North of Littleton. You get into the DTC, Littleton, and highlands Ranch area and you are going to be surrounded by the people who moved here from California and insisted on building their own little California sh*tty attitudes included.
As far as boating goes there's not sh*t to do locally. If you want to hit some nice water you need to drive a ways. Grand Lake and Granby are two of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Both offer beautiful scenary, great fishing and never get to crowded. However, they require an almost 2 hour drive through some of the steepest windiest graves you've ever experienced but well worth it. Horsetooth reservoir is located in Fort Collins. It is a narrow lake but it is 7 miles long and a pretty fun place to boat however it can get crowded at times. My personal favorite is Glendo, WY. Glendo Wyoming is 15,000 acres and even when the place is considered PACKED there wont be more then 150-160 boats on the entire thing, the fishing is great and you can party like a rockstar without having to worry about the cops breaking up your fun. Glendo is 200 miles North of Denver but super easy to get to since the lake is only about 5 miles from the 25 freeway.
Oh yeah. Denver sucks! Don't come here. :)

Red Eye
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I live in Denver. I moved here in 1998 from So-Cal and stayed here until July of 04. For some reason I thought I was missing out on something amazing in California and had to move back. After living and starving for the last year and a couple months I decided to come back to Denver and I don't know why I ever left in the first place.
Con's to living in Denver:
The economy here was booming because telecom is what makes this city go round. When the telco companies took a sh*t so did the economy. The economy is slowly rebounding but still hasn't made a full recovery yet.
There aren't any good lakes near by. All the local lakes are only about 2,000 acres and get PACKED full of boats.
Smog. Last I heard Denver has the worst smog in the country. The air quakity has definitely improved over the years but we definitely have a smog problem.
You can't buy booze on Sundays. State laws require that liqour stores be closed on Sunday and grocery stores sell 3.2% beer which will give you more heart burn then it will a buzz.
Cost of Housing. If compared to California Denver is a cheap place to live but compared to the rest of the country this place is pretty pricey. A 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a decent area will run you about $275K. Not a bad price at all but with the economy here still recovering it's not an easy task finding a job that will afford you a $275K home.
Pro's to living in Denver.
The Bronco's. Everyone knows it to be a fact that the Denver Broncos are the best football team in the NFL period. You live in Denver you get to go tot he Bronco games.
The GREAT OUTDOORS. Colorado in general is a haven for those who love the outdoors. Just a 30 minute drive from Denver will take you to one of multiple different places to hike, bicycle, kayak, raft, ski, offroad, etc. This place is amazing when it comes to outdoor activities and I dont think you will find a better place for it.
The skiing/Snowboarding. Driving an hour West of Denver will take you to world class ski resorts. People come from all over the world and pay big bucks to ski in our backyard. When you live here it is YOUR backyard and you can ski/ride in some of the best stuff in the world whenever you'd like. The same applies for snowmobiling Most of the ski towns offer 100's of miles of trails for snowmobiling.
The recovering economy. Because the economy is down here their is TONS of potential for new business growth. This place would be a perfect place to start your own business and theres lots of room for it to grow.
The People. The people here are amazing, that is of course as you long as you stay North of Littleton. Everywhere you go people are smiling and saying hello asking you how you're doing and so on. But AGAIN that is IF and only IF you stay North of Littleton. You get into the DTC, Littleton, and highlands Ranch area and you are going to be surrounded by the people who moved here from California and insisted on building their own little California sh*tty attitudes included.
As far as boating goes there's not sh*t to do locally. If you want to hit some nice water you need to drive a ways. Grand Lake and Granby are two of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Both offer beautiful scenary, great fishing and never get to crowded. However, they require an almost 2 hour drive through some of the steepest windiest graves you've ever experienced but well worth it. Horsetooth reservoir is located in Fort Collins. It is a narrow lake but it is 7 miles long and a pretty fun place to boat however it can get crowded at times. My personal favorite is Glendo, WY. Glendo Wyoming is 15,000 acres and even when the place is considered PACKED there wont be more then 150-160 boats on the entire thing, the fishing is great and you can party like a rockstar without having to worry about the cops breaking up your fun. Glendo is 200 miles North of Denver but super easy to get to since the lake is only about 5 miles from the 25 freeway.
Oh yeah. Denver sucks! Don't come here. :)
Great info!!!! Thank you. So what happens to die hard Raiders fans in Denver? Because if I move there, I definately am not going to be a Donkey fan...lol :)

Boozer
11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Great info!!!! Thank you. So what happens to die hard Raiders fans in Denver? Because if I move there, I definately am not going to be a Donkey fan...lol :)
There are plenty of Raider fans in this town. Unlike Oakland you can actually go to a Denver game, root for the Raiders and not have to worry about getting involved in an altercation with irate Broncos fan. We have to much class to get all pissy and want to fight over a football game. So Bring the black and silver gear with you when you come just expect to have a lot of people talk sh*t when you wear it. Myself included. :)

Red Eye
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
There are plenty of Raider fans in this town. Unlike Oakland you can actually go to a Denver game, root for the Raiders and not have to worry about getting involved in an altercation with irate Broncos fan. We have to much class to get all pissy and want to fight over a football game. So Bring the black and silver gear with you when you come just expect to have a lot of people talk sh*t when you wear it. Myself included. :)
I went to the Raider's/Donkeys game last Sunday and other then the occasional shit talking, no one (Raider's fans) got out of hand towards the Broncs fans. I was surprised about that. Just had to stick up for the Raider Nation. :)

JB in so cal
11-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Wait 'till more of us Kalifornians move to Highlands Ranch... :crossx: