PDA

View Full Version : MSD Timing Box

Morg
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
So I had a couple of things happen this past summer, I thought I would concact MSD to see what they thought.
Here is a link (http://www.msdignition.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=5063&) to the MSD tech forum.
What do you guys think???

Cole Man II
11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
I think that the explanation still does not explain why all was worked well the first trip out.
I think you should check for wire problem and give it one more try before you shit can it.

Fiat48
11-16-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't believe the head gasket problem was a detonation problem. Nor can I see any evidence of a lean condition by the pistons or the valves.
As far as the MSD goes....I have no clue. If it were me I would just get rid of the unknown electronic crap and get back to a trusted normal ignition.
You can always go back and play with the electronic stuff down the road after you have a baseline with a more normal ignition system.

TurboNova
11-17-2005, 10:03 AM
So I had a couple of things happen this past summer, I thought I would concact MSD to see what they thought.
Here is a link (http://www.msdignition.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=5063&) to the MSD tech forum.
What do you guys think???
Morg, the timing box that you used has a real linear graph with little real timing adjustment. It is more suited for a street car with a big cam and too much compression.
What was the reason for using this MSD timing controller? If your timing is locked at 36 degrees, are you having a cranking problem? If that is the case then why not just use their start retard box? If you want better control of timing look at the multifunction ignition controller, I have used it on several customer’s cars and it really works great.
If the head gasket failed because of timing you should have detonation signs on the spark plugs too. Was there aluminum on the porcelain? Have you verified TDC with your timing mark? Just dumb questions but I thought I'd cover all the easy ones first.
Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection.com

Morg
11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
TN,
I was going to get just the start retard, but then though I could have the option of giving the motor a timing curve with the fixed curve box. That appeard to be a mistake.
As Fiat48 stated, nothing else showed signs of detonation. I made the mistake of sending the motor back to the builder. He said it was detonation. After I got the motor back we decided to see what is going on. Again as Fiat48 said is shows no signs of this.
At this point I am not going to be running the box anymore. It can be set up as just a start retard, but I just don't trust the thing. I am going to see how she fires locked out. If it is difficult I am leaning towards a distributer that I can set up with light springs.
Another reason for doing the work myself now with the guidence from fiat48, is checking the small things like are the timing marks accurate? the next time my deal runs I will know exactly what is what.

Fiat48
11-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I think we should either use the retard only for starting and live with locked out or we should do another HEI with a quick curve in it. You've got pretty good compression (we'll know more as we cc the thing) so it would be a starter killer trying to do locked out.