PDA

View Full Version : 557 scat

HOSS
11-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Took the plunge. Traded with engine builder my nitrous refill station for a completely balanced scat setup. They will build motor too. Should end up with 570 after bore. I`ve got DOVE heads. What should I do with these? I wanna run a tunnel also. What cam? 10:1 should be

LakesOnly
11-17-2005, 09:03 AM
572, eh? 4.50 x 4.50, I'm guessing, based on the rotating assy. Are you using a standard block and if so, did you sonic check it? You are overboring it .140". There will be lots of cylinder side thrusting with the reduced rod ratio of the 4.5 stroke. I am assuming this is with the 6.7 rods and not the 6.8 rods.
An engine that big needs a hell of a lot of air and therefore a big ass cam to support it. Conversely, your static compression ratio will somewhat limit the size of the cam that will make this engine the greatest amount of power. If it's your intention to build a big but mild, reliable pump gas engine, then you're fine, but if you want to build a max effort engine, then you need more compression big time with a motor that big.
And with the heads, again they'd be fine for a strong and reliable running pump gas stroker. But for high performance, you are really pushing the limits of the D0VE heads on a low compression stroker that big, and I doubt this build of yours will have peak power at much past 5500 rpm. The heads just wont be able to support much more breathing, particularly with the low comppession. I would go max effort on the heads, including oversize valves, CJ port match on the intake and full open exhaust port with stock exit.
LO

HOSS
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I don`t know the low down on the specs. I wanna run a reliable pump gas motor. They said something aboutrace bearings.

LakesOnly
11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
You will have a fine pump gas engine.
It would be a good idea to sonic check the block with that much overbore, and perhaps consider the need for a short fill in the cooling jackets.
Put 2.19/1.75 valves in the D0VE heads and max effort porting. Unfortunately, on the exhaust side even max effort D0VE castings do not flow much greater at .600 than they do at .500, so even a bigger lift cam won't help much; so get one that hangs the exhaust valve open longer than the intake. Most shelf cams don't offer splits greater than 10* and I wouldn't go for anything less in this case. (Personally, I'd have reservations with any shelf cam in this build). The trickiness here is your lower compression ratio versus the relatively big cam needed to help the engine breathe.
By virtue of its design, a stroker such as this will produce power at lower rpm's than the 460 you are used to, so get a cam with a tight lobe separation so as to move peak torque up high (so as to compensate for the low power curve). Say, on a 108* LC, maybe. There's really not near enough information about your build to call out a cam grind, though...
Gotta go,
LO

cstraub
11-17-2005, 01:46 PM
You may want to consider a set of Blue Thunders. Cammed a 514 about 4 years ago with a mild hyd flat and it made 640HP at 5800 rpm. It was a brute in a mid 80's stang.

HOSS
11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
What do you need to know LO? I appreciate any and all advice you can give. Really don`t know jack about a mountain motor. I wanna run a tunnel ram with 2 750`s or what would you suggest. I have DOVE heads as you know and aluminum is not an option for brackish water will eat the hell out of `em. Although the price of complete trick flows are entising. This is all I really know. Would I be better with smaller cubes? I just figurred that this motor will yank ten skiers up without too much pedal.

C.Fisher
11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Hoss
On the alum head deal, I know Canfield has a coating applied as an option when there is salt water involved. Even though Canfield does not make BBF heads I am sure John Fenton "owner" would help you out on getting a set coated.

born2burn
11-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Whats a Mountain motor?

Nucking futs
11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Whats a Mountain motor?
A Big Inch dealio.

Squirtin Thunder
11-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I about two weeks I will be taking my D0VE heads down to be flowed. It should be quite interesting to see the #s.
The heads were cut .035 and they have 2.19 intake and 1.8 exhaust, the intake side was matched to the CJ port and the exhaust port was worked (lots of hours). Not to mention all the casting flash removale and the oiling mods on the heads.

HOSS
11-19-2005, 04:42 AM
What was your compression before shaving the heads? Isn`t a DOVE head 70cc to begin with?

tahiti cowboy
11-19-2005, 05:21 AM
I wanted to buid a 557 too butt I spoked to a ford racing service that builds these all the time and they said that the 4.5 stroke crank was weaker than the 4.3 with 6.7 or 6.8 rods so my next moter will be a 520 ci. thats only 0.30 over if you want to stay with the 557 ci. thats a .080 over acording to the kit spec if I went to 080 over with a 4.3 stroke it would make a 532 ci BUTT i did not want to take that much out of a good std block if you have any questions about this set up give these guys a call thats all the do is ford engines its shannons the # 989-529-4917

steelcomp
11-19-2005, 09:47 AM
No matter what you do for heads, you need to have them flowed, and then talk to CStraub for a cam. Personally, I'd dump the DOVE's and go with the BT's, either alum. or iron. If you stick with the DOVE's, be careful who ports them. Just making them "bigger" isn't necessarily a good thing...the ports need to be re-contoured in critical areas. Removing as little as .010" from the wrong place and you can go backwards. Valve job is critical, and static compression is irrelevant as long as the relationship between the piston and chamber is such that you'll get a clean burn. If you are having your heads ported, there's chamber work that can be done to help this.
Head flow numbers are only part of the equation...you want the flow to be clean, and not turbulant. Anyone can port a head, few can do it correctly. Forget the TR and dual carbs, unless you just want it for looks. The TR's that are out there for BBFords suck. You'd be better off with a big Dominator on a single plane.
This isn't really hi tech race-only stuff...just things to think about when building a performance engine, if your engine builder knows what he's doing.
Just my .02

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2005, 12:15 PM
What was your compression before shaving the heads? Isn`t a DOVE head 70cc to begin with?
The D0VE heads range from 73cc - 75cc on norm, but I have seen some that are as big as 78cc. My goal was to get as close to 13-1 as I could get, with out changing piston design. With guesstimating cc average and proven facts, by taking .035 on the 74cc chamber it brought it down to 70cc. We should be at 12.8-1. One thing I noticed was the chambers are more uniform now. I have not cc them yet, after milling, to be sure, but they all look to be nearly the same.

akjet
11-19-2005, 02:45 PM
hey guys i got a set of blue thunders for sale sed years ready to go stage three porting pulled good numbers on my 557 was around 800 hp pushed my 21 hallet at 89 mph even better in the 19 daytona.

akjet
11-19-2005, 02:50 PM
also ran the weiand tunnel ram with dual 750 holleys ran great fired on first turn over excellent throttle response and so much power that i could make theboat jump out of the water about a foot if wanted.

HOSS
11-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Tell me more about the Blue Thunder heads. Its peaked my interest. Better than Trick Flow? I wanna run a roller setup.

HOSS
11-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Not sold on a tunnel ram either. Really looking at a 4500 dominator carb. Tell me what you think LO.

dmontzsta
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Not sold on a tunnel ram either. Really looking at a 4500 dominator carb. Tell me what you think LO.
Run a Victor Jr, single carb setup. Have them port matched to the heads, that is a kick ass setup, with a nice big carb.
Here is some info on the Blue Thunder Heads.
http://www.bluethunderauto.com/
I personally like the chevy exhaust flange. It makes it alot easier to buy exhaust, we all know how plentiful the chevy stuff is.
Here is the info on the TF heads.
http://www.trickflow.com/product/fordcylinderheads/429_460/pr_429_460.asp
Hope that helps. The awesome thing about alluminum heads is the weight reduction. Also, they work great on n/a motors, like the one you are building. The downside, a little more $$$. The good thing about cast heads is you can always say they are "stock", no matter how much work you have done. :)

HOSS
11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
LakesOnly,,,what cam do you recommend? Not necessarily size but type. Hydraulic, solid roller?

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 06:56 PM
LakesOnly,,,what cam do you recommend? Not necessarily size but type. Hydraulic, solid roller?
Like Steelcomp has said before it all depends how much money you want to spend. As he stated in the other thread he seems to feel that the solid roller will RPM quicker, than the hyd roller, if I am on the same page with him.
I would get the flow #s on the heads and talk with Chris Strabb about the pros and cons of each design.

HOSS
11-21-2005, 03:28 PM
money? hell im runnin on fema....hahahahahah,,, ust kiddin,,but if im a gonna do it,,, do it once/

JAY4SPEED
11-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Hoss
On the alum head deal, I know Canfield has a coating applied as an option when there is salt water involved. Even though Canfield does not make BBF heads I am sure John Fenton "owner" would help you out on getting a set coated.
I'm also concerned about my new AFR heads running in brackish water as I live in the same area as Hoss. After reading this post, it prompted me to email my salesperson at Airflow Reasearch to ask if there was a way to coat the cooling passages for marine appications. He replied that the process has to be done prior to some of the finish machining so it cannot be performed on completed heads. He did suggest to flush after every trip and to try to flush some antifreeze with Water Wetter to help coat the cooling passages after a trip out to prevent corrosion. I'm not sure on how I would go about doing that, I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else who may benefit from his info.
Sorry Hoss, didn't mean to hijack.......carry on :)
Jay

Taylorman
11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Put some anti freeze in a 5 gal bucket and rig up a bildge pump to pump it into the engine like the racers use to warm up their engine before a race.

HOSS
11-22-2005, 02:54 AM
hE`S FULL OF IT. hE COULD ONLY MEAN GREEN ANTI-FREEZE AS THAT CONTAINS SILICONE. tHE COATING WOULD BE SO MINIMAL AS TO NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.
Sorry for the caps,,,14 month old here. :cool:

cstraub
11-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm also concerned about my new AFR heads running in brackish water as I live in the same area as Hoss. After reading this post, it prompted me to email my salesperson at Airflow Reasearch to ask if there was a way to coat the cooling passages for marine appications. He replied that the process has to be done prior to some of the finish machining so it cannot be performed on completed heads. He did suggest to flush after every trip and to try to flush some antifreeze with Water Wetter to help coat the cooling passages after a trip out to prevent corrosion. I'm not sure on how I would go about doing that, I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else who may benefit from his info.
Sorry Hoss, didn't mean to hijack.......carry on :)
Jay
There is a way to cheat and extend life. We use what we call Ceramic Seal to stop leaks in cylinder heads. The stuff is egg white consistancy and can be used to coat the water jackets for helps against corrosion. Problem is the heads need to be off and this has to be done with pressure of 15psi and the the heads need to sit 24 hours. Also brush it around the water transfer port on the head.
AFR is not feeding you a line either. The seat and guides cannot be in the head. Hard anodizing requires just the aluminum only.
Hoss if money isn't a problem and you can get a set of thunders you won't be sorry. In all the years I have dealt with cylinder head companies I can say from a manufacturing standpoint that AT's stuff is the nicest mfg head there is. I agree with the above post if you can get a set with the BBC exhaust pattern you will be better off in the long run. A single will work for your CID but your at a point in CID that a tunnel ram and 2 carbs will make a nice power difference. Over a single you are probly looking at 75HP difference.

HOSS
11-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks but what cam should I be looking at?

cstraub
11-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks but what cam should I be looking at?
Cam is the 2nd to last part you buy, pushrods being last. Get your heads selected and finalize a compression ratio along with a max rpm level then the camshaft can be looked at.

sanger rat
11-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Engine sealer. http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=22005

HOSS
11-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Looking for the "stop now" deal on blue thunders.

HOSS
12-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Bump on Blue Thunder.

LakesOnly
12-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Bump on Blue Thunder.Alright then, Hoss, here is a potential offer:
Bob's motor currently has a possible buyer for the entire engine, less boat parts and induction. The entire long block would be installed into a '60's Fairlane. This person expressing interest seems to be moving a little slowly, and so I asked Bob if he might be interested in selling the just heads off the motor...something we've considered only as a last resort.
Bob has decided to tell the interested party that he has about ten days to make up his mind, and after that the motor and/or any of it's components are fair game.
So, what is being offered to you here is the assembled, professionally ported Blue Thunder SCJ heads off this engine:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350JBB572no1.jpg
Blue Thunder SCJ Heads
Chevy exhaust flange (these are the best of the three types of SCJ heads that Blue Thunder has to offer)
Fully assembled: stainless valves, springs, retainers, locks, studs and guide plates
Professionally ported: .750" = 380/270 (without pipe) @ 28" on 4.625" bore
Very, very low hours, and with pump gas compression at that
$2350. These heads were purchased brand new and set up with all brand new parts. They have $800 worth of port work done to them.
Again, in about ten days, we will know if they are available.
LO

HOSS
12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Lets do it!

HOSS
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
What cc are these heads Paul?

LakesOnly
12-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Hoss, I told Jet Boat Bob that you are a serious buyer and that the guy with the Fairlane needs to be told to "step up" or release interest in the motor. No more tire kickin' from him. When I have the formal answer about the heads, I'll let you know via right here or PM. Also, I may be able to post the flow sheets.
I'll have your answers for you shortly; stand by, and call me if you need to. If this works out in your favor (likely), then I'll just hook you up directly with Jet Boat Bob and you can handle the deal between yourselves.
LO

HOSS
12-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks.

LakesOnly
12-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Hoss, got the word tonight. The ported and flowed Blue Thunders off the 572 are yours, buddy. :D I have a flow sheet too, but you will get hard copy along with the heads. Judging by my interpretation of the flow sheets, I'd say that these heads were ported for good, solid mid-lift flow and that this will be awesome on your 557 jet boat application. Flow is pretty consistent from runner to runner, too. 2.30 Intake & 1.82 Exhaust valves, etc.
Don't forget that the special headers with the chebby flange (already fitted to these BT heads) are also available, along with any other mating parts you may need. For example, you may want to consider the SVO rockers (same as Crane Gold Series) and the pushrods so that these heads are a true bolt-on deal. No pressure, just putting it out there. As I said before, all parts brand spanking new for this low hours motor.
Will PM you and/or give you a call. At that time, I will be hooking you up with Bob (his phone number, etc.)
LO

HOSS
12-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Ok, want it all except the headders. I need to be wet. Get the whole role out minus pipes.
Thanks,
James
Custom Muffler & Auto Repair
1349 Veterans Memorial Blvd.
Kenner, LA 70062
504-305-5167

LakesOnly
12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Will do, stand by. Contact info will also be included.
LO

HOSS
12-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Looking for a tunnel ram and 2 850`s now. Bigger is better. What cam in your opinion.

LakesOnly
12-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Hoss,
I just PM'd you Bob's contact info. Also, he has all your contact info. You two guys can take care of the rest from here on out; I'm just hooking you two up.
look at the motor in the above pics and see if there are any other marine parts that you need. The more parts you buy, the bigger the price break. The deal you have struck to date stands, and there is no obligation to buy anything more.
Bob and a mutual friend of ours shipped me a disassembled world record setting motor from Bob's shop and it arrived here in perfect shape, so go get your heads!
LO
p.s. You keep asking about cams...don't worry about your cam just yet. Get all your other componentry together first.

dmontzsta
12-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Congrats Hoss, you will love those heads.

cstraub
12-16-2005, 05:59 AM
After looking at a set of Blue Thunders you will ask yourself, "Why isnt' every head made like this?" AT's finished product is by far the nicest stuff I see.

HOSS
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks,,,will deal with this Monday. Stompin out fires in the shop today. Seems I must have an advertisement out there that I do everything fro free at this shop now.

HOSS
12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
10.5 for the whole damn thang. Phuc..........started on the other mill already.

HOSS
12-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Waiting on delivery. Paul, what is the cc of the chamber? Need to order pistons.

LakesOnly
12-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Right on, Hoss. You will be very pleased with your purchase.
In regards to combustion chamber volume: I don't know whether or not the chambers were reworked on these heads or if cc's are stock. You probably could have asked Bob. Knowing Charlie (the person that ported these heads) there is at least some valve unshrouding in the combustion chambers, etc as part of the flow work. As I recall, the BT combustion chamber shape and size is very much like that of the Motorsport CJ & SCJ heads, or about 74 cc's...Straub may have the exact factory issue combustion chamber volume, I can't recall exactly. One thing nice about the BT's over the other CJ-style heads is that the I & E valve placement is ever so slightly widened so as to accomdate those oversize valves that your heads have (and SCJ's cannot accomodate as delivered).
Next time I talk to Charlie, I'll pick his brain for combustion chamber work on those heads.
LO

HOSS
12-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks.
Man, if timing was right (Katrina and my new build) I would have bought the whole damn mill. 10.5 for it was a steal. He still has everything else. May have to contact him on intake. That intake looks killer.
He gave me a really good deal on the headders too! 350 OTD! Can`t beet that with a stick. Can`t use my engine cover now and I can lose the exhaust fan which frees up a circuit. :cool:
Thanks again LakesOnly! Merry Christmas.

LakesOnly
01-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Hoss,
I just spoke to Jet Boat Bob...I wanted to say thanks for your purchase on the BT heads, et al, off the 572 engine. In effect, you helped the motor completely sell because after you bought the top end, the Fairline guy came back and bought the short block less marine parts! So I will be listing the jet boat parts in a new listing here on ***boat.
Thanks again,
LO

HOSS
01-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I don`t really want the intake as I really feel the A460 is my best route. The 2 1050`s are priced right at 500 each but am still looking at flowed Barry Grants the same size. The distributor is priced right as well but I want a digital and have a 4c box already installed.
All in all I`m glad it worked out for everyone.

LakesOnly
01-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I don`t really want the intake as I really feel the A460 is my best route. The 2 1050`s are priced right at 500 each but am still looking at flowed Barry Grants the same size.Hoss, if you mean to tell me that JBB offered you two Quick Fuel Technology (http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/) 1050's for $1000, then I must say with complete unbias that you should jump on those over a pair of new as-delivered Demons for more money.
Also, The TFS A460 intake will not fit your cylinder car heads or any passenger car style head. The TFS A-460 intake fits the TFS-A460 heads only. And if Bob's 572's custom sheetmetal intake did not work well, I promise you it absolutely would not be on any of the engines that these guys build. ;)
LO
p.s. All, I also offer Evan's Racing intake adaptors that enable the TFS A460 intake to bolt to the C-460 heads (for which nobody casts a tunnel ram). With these adaptors, the cast TFS A460 intake recently showed flow results superior to a Hogan's $heetmetal C-460 intake on the same C-460 head (Superflow SF-600).

HOSS
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
So you meen to tell me that I will need an adapter to fit the A460 to these Blue Thunder heads? If so you make them right? Then, damn, see if Bob still hasn`t shipped them,,,,I need to get you the intake so you can port match everything.
I just don`t really like using used carbs for fear of shaft leaks and having to bush or get new throttle plates. Just my experience.

LakesOnly
01-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Hoss,
At this time, nobody makes adaptors to fit an A-460 intake to a Cobra Jet style head. The CJ ports are round, whereas the A-460 ports are moreso rectangular and would make for quite a mismatch.
The adaptors I offer allow only for the A-460 intake to be bolted to the C-460 heads. They were designed because nobody casts a tunnel ram for the C-460 heads, and the port match & alignment of the A-460 T/R is pretty damn good.
So you cannot use an A-460 intake on CJ-style heads. Your only options are, 1)the Offy (with the CJ-sized ports), 2) the Weiand (with the pass car size ports and would NEED to be ported to SCJ size for your 557), or, 3) a custom sheetmetal intake which might be upwards of $1000 plus carbs & linkage.
As far as used carbs go, ask JBB how old those carbs are. Everything for that engine was purchased brand spanking new, and I believe this includes the carburetors. Charlie is close with Quick Fuel technology and knows Marty at QFT pretty well and I was given a tour of the place when we visited there. I don't think these carbs were ever run on an engine before the 572, and the boat & motor were always stored inside when not run.
There are other deals out there, of course, but these guys put this whole package together and worked it all out on the dyno and this was the induction that was kept on the engine. And now you have those heads. Not your only choice on carbs and intake, I completely understand, but it should be considered a viable option.
LO

HOSS
01-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Is there enough meat to open the Weiand to the port size? Or even the Offy? I didn`t realize any of this.
My prob with the sheet metal intake is the welds. I cannot see the welds not disrupting flow without being extrude honed.
Also, he ran a hydralic tappet cam. I`m not.

LakesOnly
01-01-2006, 04:59 PM
The Weiand can be ported to damn-near CJ size, yes. But the port runners will be slightly less than that size near the bottom where the runner(s) meets the head mating flange. Ported to SCJ-size (even with the pinch at the bottom), they flow really well and can flow better than an as-cast SCJ ported Off T/R. You need to decide for yourself if the cost of the portwork to the Weiand justifies the additional 3% cfm better flow I saw on the flowbench vs. the as-cast Offy SCJ. Maybe the Offy can offer something up if blended better after receiving it as cast, I dunno yet.
The weld beads on the outside of Bob's T/R say little about the weld beads on the inside. Or the dyno numbers it produced. That being said, I have never seen the inside of the intake so I cannot speak in rebuttal of your concerns. I DO know that port polishing offers little over the roughness that most ports display as delivered, so I'd think that this intake could be no different.
Gotta run,
LO

HOSS
01-01-2006, 05:05 PM
OK, will get with ya tomorrow,,time permits,,,and it looks like the Offy.

cstraub
01-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Right on, Hoss. You will be very pleased with your purchase.
In regards to combustion chamber volume: I don't know whether or not the chambers were reworked on these heads or if cc's are stock. You probably could have asked Bob. Knowing Charlie (the person that ported these heads) there is at least some valve unshrouding in the combustion chambers, etc as part of the flow work. As I recall, the BT combustion chamber shape and size is very much like that of the Motorsport CJ & SCJ heads, or about 74 cc's...Straub may have the exact factory issue combustion chamber volume, I can't recall exactly. One thing nice about the BT's over the other CJ-style heads is that the I & E valve placement is ever so slightly widened so as to accomdate those oversize valves that your heads have (and SCJ's cannot accomodate as delivered).
Next time I talk to Charlie, I'll pick his brain for combustion chamber work on those heads.
LO
74/80/100 cc as cast chambers.

HOSS
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
On Blue Thunders?

LakesOnly
01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
My prob with the sheet metal intake is the welds. I cannot see the welds not disrupting flow without being extrude honed.
Just spoke with Charlie. The weld beads on the ID of the runners were smoothed with a tootsie roll.
LO

LakesOnly
01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Hoss,
Here's the flow sheet. I understand you may consult with Straub on cam choice, so here is a public post so he may view the flow sheet and/or save if needed. Please note on the left-side column are the lift numbers to .800" and there are also combustion chamber volumes (averages).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350JBB_sBT572FlowNumbers.jpg
Bottom of page, Intake Port Volume:
#1 = 331cc, #2 = 328cc, #3 = 329cc, #4 = 329cc, #5 = 332cc, #6 = 332cc, #7 = 330cc, #8 = 331cc
As I said, the mid-lift flow numbers are outstanding and what I think you'd want to see for this build.
By the way, for 93 octane pump gas, you may go as far as perhaps 10+:1 compression ratio. JE has some pistons that have a 39cc dish to them. On a 557 with zero deck, .039" Fel-Pro marine head gasket and 74 cc combustion chamber volume, this puts you at about 10.25:1 :D
LO

HOSS
01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Actually,,just got done with machine shop. I want 11:1 or 11.5:1. Jet keeps the motor too cool. I can get away with this on pump gas 93 and realistically,,,34 total advance,,,36 pushes beyond.

HOSS
01-02-2006, 04:19 PM
But I won`t know jack until I get with Straub (sp) and see what cam I`m gonna get. Then I can truly order pistons. If you talk to Straub (againsp) tell him to see this and call me. Thanks
James
504-305-5167

LakesOnly
01-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Actually,,just got done with machine shop. I want 11:1 or 11.5:1. Jet keeps the motor too cool. I can get away with this on pump gas 93 and realistically,,,34 total advance,,,36 pushes beyond.Same specs as I noted above BUT 28cc dish, will put you at 11.2:1. I think that's pushing it, but if you have to blend a little AvGas or race gas it would still be worth the extra ponies.
These strokers seem to be happy at 30-32 BTDC @ 3000. Any more advance and the power doesn't usually go up.
LO

LakesOnly
01-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Just spoke to JBB. He says he bought the 1050's brand new, direct from Bill Mitchell. He then sent them straight to QFT to be set up for the 572 build...including reworked venturis and bigger throttle plates, so yes, they flow more than 1050 cfm each. The reworking at QFT by itself was $500 per carb (plus the brand new 1050's cost).
LO

dmontzsta
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Just spoke to JBB. He says he bought the 1050's brand new, direct from Bill Mitchell. He then sent them straight to QFT to be set up for the 572 build...including reworked venturis and bigger throttle plates, so yes, the flow more than 1050 cfm each. The reworking at QFT by itself was $500 per carb (plus the brand new 1050's cost).
LO
That is a steal for those carbs then.

cstraub
01-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Hoss,
Yes that is for Blue Thunders. Let me get unburied here and put out some fires that started last weeka and I will get a hold of you.

HOSS
01-03-2006, 06:30 AM
cool, thanks

LakesOnly
01-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Hoss: Follow up on the sheetmetal intake...
First I should mention that the fabrication of sheetmetal intakes are not something that people typically just weld up for the sake of having something to bolt a carburetor to. Rather, there are all kinds of calculations factored, such as plenum volume, runner length and volume, etc., and those that are in the business of making them for customers keep their equations to themselves. Not really a black magic deal but more of a closely guarded secret/trade secret deal.
That being said, it should make you feel good that this design comes from Al Neal and John Kaase, and was fabricated with all the mathematical calculations and closely directed by John Kaase during its creation. Charlie and John are on close terms and this is how it all came to be, in regards to that sheetmetal intake.
And JBB knows his stuff too...basically he's the driver for the most competitive jet boat in the KDBA and he is the local pump builder in the area...does most every pump on every jet boat that races on the river that his house is located on. http://www.kdba.net/
Just in case you're still thinking about it.
LO

HOSS
01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks,,I`m getting it. You had me at hello! :D

LakesOnly
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Hoss, I tried to call you yesterday and your cell phone was on auto-answer. All I heard was air tools in the background, then just hung up.
Will try again today,
Paul

IMPATIENT 1
01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
hoss, don't know if ya picked your cam out yet but if ya go hyd. you can buy a real nice 595-565lift cam from an ebay store called maddog motorsports.i buy all my bbf stuff from these guys because there're fast and cheap. you can get the cam(clevite performance cam)with speed pro anti-pump up lifters for under 100.00. i've bought 2 of these cams and i love em in jets.they also have nice valves(i paid 160.00 for all 16 stainless,oversized,one-piece,undercut valves)i've had great luck with em.

IMPATIENT 1
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
hoss, don't know if ya picked your cam out yet but if ya go hyd. you can buy a real nice 595-565lift cam from an ebay store called maddog motorsports.i buy all my bbf stuff from these guys because there're fast and cheap. you can get the cam(clevite performance cam)with speed pro anti-pump up lifters for under 100.00. i've bought 2 of these cams and i love em in jets.they also have nice valves(i paid 160.00 for all 16 stainless,oversized,one-piece,undercut valves)i've had great luck with em.
and i meant to say that i've never had a reversion problem with this cam either. my wife can't back up a trailer so i idled the boat down to 1k(in the water) so she could control it to the trailer.never sucked in any water!

HOSS
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Just got the heads. Damn these things are bar none. AWSOME! All heads should be made like this! Thanks Bob and on Monday you will have a check on the way for top half. Damn you boys have good taste. Champain! :D
Me likey,,me likey lot!

cstraub
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
as far a fit and finish for a an untouch casting, the Blue Thunder IMO is the nicest head on the market.

LakesOnly
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
And as far as parts used in them, mods performed to them, etc., these guys spare no expense.
Conratulations on your purchase(s).
LO

dmontzsta
01-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I want some, with BBC exhaust ports. Hopefully they will accept them, eh Paul? :)
Congrats Hoss.

HOSS
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I can tell ya this,,after seeing these heads,,I can`t wait to get the intake. These boys go top notch. Top Gun,,,where`s goose? :D

dmontzsta
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I can tell ya this,,after seeing these heads,,I can`t wait to get the intake. These boys go top notch. Top Gun,,,where`s goose? :D
Thats a bitchen intake Hoss. One thing is for sure, the top end of your motor is top notch. Do you have the bottom end done already?

HOSS
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
No. And I`m having doubts now about their capabilities. When the ol man Russel owned it, it was top notch. Now with the kids,,,,,,all they wanna do is bolt up kits. I`m thinkin `bout pullin the plug but tryin to help them out since Katrina instead of farmin it out of state. They owe me bread and I gave them my nitrous refill station and tank and all to get them off the ground since the storm. So I`m kinda too deep to get out.

HOSS
01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Before I leave the shop I just gotta say again,,,these heads are wicked. Any one doing a big block Ford don`t buy ANY other heads. These are bad ace! :crossx:

dmontzsta
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Before I leave the shop I just gotta say again,,,these heads are wicked. Any one doing a big block Ford don`t buy ANY other heads. These are bad ace! :crossx:
Someone is happy! :)
Congrats once more, I would be in the same boat you are in. Actually, I am with the new crank, but would probably be more with those heads.
:)

LakesOnly
01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I want some, with BBC exhaust ports.
Congrats Hoss.Blue Thunder heads do not come with chevy exhaust ports. If they did, the head would not be as good a performer. These heads utlize a chebby exhaust header flange only.
LO

JAY4SPEED
01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm going to have to come to your shop to see what all the comotion is about! You're not kidding about Shreve going downhill after Russel retired. All they want to work on is Hondas. They couldn't even cut my 454 crank when I called last. Did you try Performance Marine over there by the airport off of Loyola?
Jay

dmontzsta
01-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Blue Thunder heads do not come with chevy exhaust ports. If they did, the head would not be as good a performer. These heads utlize a chebby exhaust header flange only.
LO
Thats what I meant, my bad. :D
You still coming down tomorrow?

HOSS
01-07-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm going to have to come to your shop to see what all the comotion is about! You're not kidding about Shreve going downhill after Russel retired. All they want to work on is Hondas. They couldn't even cut my 454 crank when I called last. Did you try Performance Marine over there by the airport off of Loyola?
Jay
Thats Mark,,,he is a high dollar guy.
Shreve`s won`t turn your crank cause they sold the damn lathe!

HOSS
01-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Jay4speed, I`ve got a `93 crown vic with a rebuilt 4.6 (20k) on motor and a brand new trani. Owner cut out, owed a finance company on the car. They leined the title and I ain`t givin them the car. I`ll take a g for the motor, trani, and harness, and anything else. Bayou steel making soup cans with the rest. Be on the lookout for me.
Thanks,
James Roos
Custom Muffler & Auto Repair
1349 Veterans Memorial Blvd.
Kenner, LA 70062
504-305-5167