PDA

View Full Version : Shifting a TH400 in a crusier ?

sawtooth
11-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I am looking to find out what other people use to shift their trans in the boat. I don't know if I should go with the shifter the rex sells for the TH400 that has the detent for each gear or one that has no button and just use the detents of the trans. What do you guys that have transmissions in your boats use, thanks for your opinion's.

haulina29
11-17-2005, 07:26 AM
The rex handle with the detents .

mondorally
11-17-2005, 07:34 AM
I switched from a no-button shifter to rex's T-400 one even though I have a powerglide. I prefer being able to visually check as to what gear I'm in when needed.
Justin

lucky
11-17-2005, 07:47 AM
I still have two lever set up , and i hate it - future plans include a foot pedel and a shifter with locks -- ( Rex - You know my addy ) :cool:

Dimarco21
11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
The rex handle with the detents .
Agree. The handle needs to lock into position.

Rexone
11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I've run them both ways. If YOU are gonna be driving and YOU know where the detents are you can get away with the non-detent shifter if you're alert and careful shifting. I actually prefer it because you don't have to push the button. But it does take a level of awareness that all boaters don't necessarily want to deal with constantly. If others are gonna be driving I'd advise the detent model for sure.
And a reverse pattern valve body (with either shifter) is real nice too so the 1,2,3 or 2,3 shift is going forward away from you, especially if you have the non detent shifter. You don't want to be shifting to 3rd coming back towards you and miss and hit neutral or even reverse (not good). Most marine trans builders automatically use or convert to rev pattern.

bocco
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Mine works well with just the detent from the tranny. When I bought my boat it was actually rigged with reverse all the way forward and the forward gears to the back. It looked like an accident waiting to happen so I flipped the lever at the trans and made a new cable bracket with a stop to lock out park.

Rattle Can Lou
11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
My father in law has a 20 foot Hallett copy with a wood deck. Turbo 400 big block combo. He has had the boat since 1974. We were up at Parker at his house and he had a couple of drinks and decided to go out for a run. No detent shifter on this thing...All by memory. Well he gassed it on up and was probably doing about 65 and he thought he needed one more gear and hit it again, right into reverse. We were picking him up and all the upholstery in about 5 seconds. It rolled that boat over so fast it was rediculous. Very dangerous. It was built by a company called Conquest. That was embarassing at 74 years young.

lucky
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I think i will attatch a "pad lock " pad with a pin in it -- ok yyyyy

Rexone
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
My father in law has a 20 foot Hallett copy with a wood deck. Turbo 400 big block combo. He has had the boat since 1974. We were up at Parker at his house and he had a couple of drinks and decided to go out for a run. No detent shifter on this thing...All by memory. Well he gassed it on up and was probably doing about 65 and he thought he needed one more gear and hit it again, right into reverse. We were picking him up and all the upholstery in about 5 seconds. It rolled that boat over so fast it was rediculous. Very dangerous. It was built by a company called Conquest. That was embarassing at 74 years young.
Reverse pattern valve body is a must just for that reason.

MKEELINE
11-17-2005, 03:38 PM
The trans on my Hallett shifts from reverse,all the way forward, to neutral, then 2nd and 3rd,all the way back. I just made a sticker that designates where each gear is.

VD CRUISER
11-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I use the Rex shifter without the detents, the trans has the reverse shift pattern. Works just fine.

sawtooth
11-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey thanks guys, looks like it's about 50/50 so far. I was noticing in the HB mag that Halletts Schiada has no button and the same with the orange ski race Vector.....I am soooo confused :messedup: but thats pretty easy to do and thanks again.

jockorace
11-17-2005, 10:09 PM
What VD CRUISER said exactly. I've now owned three different boats w/T400, all set up the same. Non-detent Rex shifter, reverse valve body in trans. You can snick it from 1st to Reverse only having to pass thru neutral, plus reverse is all the way back and all forward gears are FORWARD(1,2,3) The Sanger cruiser I have now, you can turn the rudder full either way, shift back and forth from 1st to reverse and literally "spin" the boat in a circle! Jocko

Hallett
11-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Hey thanks guys, looks like it's about 50/50 so far. I was noticing in the HB mag that Halletts Schiada has no button and the same with the orange ski race Vector.....I am soooo confused :messedup: but thats pretty easy to do and thanks again.
yes thats the way mine is no button park is all the way back then reverse
neutral 1, 2, 3 works great never had a problem.

J540
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
yes thats the way mine is no button park is all the way back then reverse
neutral 1, 2, 3 works great never had a problem.
Same here. No button
Some trans guys take out the park, but having it helps to chang props, plus when you are at idel in neutral the prop will still spin.