PDA

View Full Version : Another STUPID parent....

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
How humiliating...
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051116/capt.okso10111162341.girl_on_corner_okso101.jpg?x= 231&y=345&sig=rVygBdndmZRVkK9wIUQ0EA--
Tasha Henderson, right, and her daughter, Coretha, left, pose for a photo outside their home in Edmond, Okla., Friday, Nov. 11, 2005, with the sign Coretha was forced to hold for an hour at a busy intersection so that passing motorists could read it. The 14-year-old freshman already has been forced by her parents to give up basketball and track because of slipping grades, and said she hopes to improve in school so she can play next year. (AP Photo)

Do F150's Float?
11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
out of curiosity, what else would you suggest to do for a kid who wasn't motivated in school? Not saying that's the only way to go, but if i had been a slacker...humiliation would have been a big motivator for me...

imirsh1
11-17-2005, 11:24 AM
out of curiosity, what else would you suggest to do for a kid who wasn't motivated in school? Not saying that's the only way to go, but if i had been a slacker...humiliation would have been a big motivator for me...
Yeah, what he said?

topless
11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
You could always threaten to send them to Kingman.

jdogginla
11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Works for me :rollside:

Do F150's Float?
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, what he said?
HE....again...ohhh man.... :mad:
<<<<<<<<<<<<< ME!

Kachina26
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I like it!

JackieV
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
OMG...talk about tough love....

Sleek-Jet
11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
... girlfriend does not look happy in that pic... :rolleyes: :D

NOTALENT
11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Dont see how it is stupid...., but too each his own. That would definatley have worked on me.... :220v:

CA Stu
11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Mom of the year!
That's the difference between raising a child and "having a kid".
Good for her!
Cheers
CA Stu

barbigrl
11-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I think that is a brilliant idea!!!

Her454
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Personally I think its a pretty creative way to motivate..........or rebel. I think its funny tho...................

slink
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
I think that is a brilliant idea!!!
Thank god it worked for you :D

imirsh1
11-17-2005, 11:46 AM
HE....again...ohhh man.... :mad:
<<<<<<<<<<<<< ME!
Woops, sorry!

SANDBAGGER
11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I also heard she was ditching classes and acting up w/ teachers too...and since the standing on the corner bit, her grades are up, shows up to class on time, and not mouthing off. :cool:

Wet Dream
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Rock a bye, you're coming off as a bleeding heart liberal that appearently thinks that measures such as this shouldn't be taken to correct someone's attitude toward school. Do you consider this cruel and unusual? Not singling you out, but I'm tired of these pussies that are afraid to dicipline. The extra curricular activities have already been taken away. Mom now reacts with, "Here ya go babe, this is your future. Deal with it or do something about it."
From the above posts, you are the only one who dislikes this.

spectratoad
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
What is wrong with it??? Sounds like a parent taking matters into their own hands instead of allowing the school or government to raise their child. May have been other ways but if it gets to that point this wouldn't be beyond me doing it. :cool:

Mandelon
11-17-2005, 11:49 AM
You could always threaten to send them to Kingman.
LMMFAOUMPFDAITU!!!!!!! :p :p :p

Do F150's Float?
11-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Woops, sorry!
It's ok :boxed:

HocusPocus
11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
now thats real!
looks like a good object lesson to me.

2Driver
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Threatening, hitting, yelling and humiliation seem like all methods for the family with a small tool-set of parenting skills. But hey, at least they care and meant no real harm.

Her454
11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I had an extremely hard time getting my daughter up for school at one point and she went through a phase where she was notorious for "missing" the bus. I was at the end of my rope since I work so far from home and couldn't keep taking her.......
So I told her if she didn't start getting up earlier and ready for the bus....she was going in her PJ's the next time.
The day I dropped her off in her PJ's I got a note from the principal. I was expecting it, but she NEVER ever missed the bus again or was late to class.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I think it's a great idea .............just like the last mom who did the one about stealing and getting ready to be just like daddy in jail!!!!!
What would you suggest.............it may not be the only way to go ...............but it's a damn good one!!!!!!! That's what I cal being a MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, I suppose that since the parents can commit an hour of the kid's time to standing on the side of the road, then it is a missed hour of an alternative, more constructive use of time. I suppose i would force her to spend the hour in a library. And if i had to spend my time with her to ensure that it was done, i would drop what i was doing. I would hold her accountable for the work that needs to be done. There is one absolute- and that is that the kid HAS HOMEWORK. Since we know that, then she should show me, on a daily basis, what she has done. Perhaps work out a reward system.
One thing though- there is probably more to this story than the blurb offers. I have no idea what the mother has tried. But I cannot ever see myself humiliating my kid like that. I am convinced it will work against her.

PowellScooter
11-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Mom of the year!
Good for her!
Cheers
CA Stu
Yeah but who named her Coretha ??

abraman1326
11-17-2005, 12:15 PM
COngrats to that mother. She is taking a stand, and trying alternative things. I'm going to file this away and use it if needed in my son's future. At least she's doing something instead of just sitting by and allowing her daughter to slack off and not get an education...
BRA

Jyruiz
11-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I like it, good for that mother.

core attitude
11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I would hold her accountable for the work that needs to be done.
I think that is what she is doing, except this is a "life" lesson not a "home work" lesson. My kids have been taught that they will be accountable for there actions, good, bad or indifferent. I believe the sooner a child learns this, the sooner they will embrace the responsibility that reaps reward and or praise as opposed to the irresponsibility that is so prevalent in the youth today.
I can only surmise that this mother felt her daughters actions were leading her down the wrong road.......just look at the sign. I applauded her for having the nuts to stand up and not only take notice but attempt to change this kids direction. I bet if more parents stepped up, instead of away from their children........

CA Stu
11-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah but who named her Coretha ??
r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Do F150's Float?
11-17-2005, 01:06 PM
The motivator for life - Fear of Failure. Yeah, this was instilled in me by my mother and surrounding family members, and i can't ever thank them enough for it. So what if i'm a chronic overacheiver...it's better than being a flunkie...

Waldo
11-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Humiliation might work for VERY FEW children (apparently on this board many have already had success...I would highly doubt your success is based on one humilation type experience rather than other "better" parenting/teaching skills already in place).
I think all of us would feel like using this type of punishment for a child not wanting to do her homework or other task deemed important by a parent. Quite possibly as a result of the thinking, "it was done to me at one time or another by a parent/teacher/boss/etc and I turned out fine". Does it make it right or successful for our kids??? I will always bet against it.
Humiliation affects coping skills dramatically!!! The number one step in effective support of children is that they must feel entirely safe from humiliation and its affects. Believe it or not, negative practices result in serious complications (behavioral, motivaitional, affective, etc.).
Flame Away!!!
Oh yeah, I do spank my children on occassion & I'm not a "bleeding-heart liberal". :crossx:

Biglue
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
I say KUDOS to moms for dong that.
Nowadays tough love is looked down upon I guess. It's a step down from a spanking and some people still disagree.
Think of it this way. Would you rather the mother correct her now or us the tax payers correct her later?

HYPNAUTIC
11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
she may be a slacker but at least she used the correct spelling and punctuation. (im sure the mom helped)
we all can praise or criticize on the method and the underlying problems this may cause. but one thing i think we all agree on is; that mother loves her child and will do anything for her and not just stand by and watch her fail.

Red Eye
11-17-2005, 01:39 PM
That's great. Good for the parents. I think a stupid parent would be one that didn't do anything.

a catered life
11-17-2005, 01:48 PM
she may be a slacker but at least she used the correct spelling and punctuation. (im sure the mom helped)
we all can praise or criticize on the method and the underlying problems this may cause. but one thing i think we all agree on is; that mother loves her child and will do anything for her and not just stand by and watch her fail.
amen

JetBoatRich
11-17-2005, 02:00 PM
very creative :cool: and sounds like it worked. She lost the things she liked to do, like sports, etc. That did not work, so make her go out in public and see what she maybe forced to do later :yuk:

a catered life
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
very creative :cool: and sounds like it worked. She lost the things she liked to do, like sports, etc. That did not work, so make her go out in public and see what she maybe forced to do later :yuk:
is that why you make lil rich wear that jersey :cry: poor kid

Tom Brown
11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I'd like to plow it in the Mom's ass.

MagicMtnDan
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Whatever it takes - whatever works.
The worst thing a parent can do to a kid is not care. Her parent(s) care and that's what matters.

Tom Brown
11-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Whatever it takes - whatever works.
The worst thing a parent can do to a kid is not care. Her parent(s) care and that's what matters.
WTF!??? :confused:
Dan... is that really you?
... so it's true... you really were just trying to get our goats all these years. :D :D

28Prowler525
11-17-2005, 03:11 PM
My kid screws around in school and she can count on me having the desk right next to her until she shapes up.

91nordic29
11-17-2005, 03:45 PM
My kid screws around in school and she can count on me having the desk right next to her until she shapes up.
lol, that's a good one!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Being the obvious minority here says a lot about how I raise my kids, And I am sure as hell not ashamed of how i do that, I think i do a pretty good job.
I just disagree with what this mother did and know there are alternatives to this. It just seems to be too easy a resolution for a problem that needs a deeper level of involvement. I think my main point is that slapping a sign on a kid that acknowledges that she doesn't do home work and screws off in class and throwing her to the public does nothing more than make her feel stupid and lends no positive actions towards resolving the kid's issues. I know for sure that embarassing me like that would piss me off even more and I would do what i could to rebel.
as for the bleeding hear liberal label, i am actually a coservative.
and i know my $.02 aint worth a dime.... :boxed:

HYPNAUTIC
11-17-2005, 05:34 PM
could have been worse for the young girl... her parents could have decided that she become a hooker.

Kilrtoy
11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
I think that is a awesome thing.....
Lets remember who th eparent and who the kid is.....
Do as your told child....

rmarion
11-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Mom of the year!
Good for her!
Cheers
CA Stu
ditto

Waldo
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I encourage and have parents do this same thing. One came in on Tuesday. A very good strategy in the classroom. Although it may be embarassing (not humiliating), they are there helping and not making a mockery of them.
Ricky - You do a mighty fine job raising that family in my opinion!

76ANTHONY
11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
It's ok :boxed:
hahahahaa ok? ok? thats fricken funny as hell. see the avi is the only thing making you into a female on here.... what he said, hahahahahahaha :crossx:
zach stop messin with people :D

mike37
11-17-2005, 08:15 PM
you all can argue about the best way to motivate kids to do good in school.
but any of you that think one way will work for all kids are pretty naive.
holding a sing on the corner may be the best thing for one kid and be the worst thing for the next.
if you take 100 kids and hold the all to the same standards
you will have a hundred different outcomes ranging from honer students to murderers

Waldo
11-17-2005, 08:22 PM
you will have a hundred different outcomes ranging from honer students to murderers
The 'Ol Bell Curve :crossx:

core attitude
11-18-2005, 06:54 AM
you all can argue about the best way to motivate kids to do good in school.
but any of you that think one way will work for all kids are pretty naive.
holding a sing on the corner may be the best thing for one kid and be the worst thing for the next.
As evidenced by some of the posts you read on this very board.........except for maybe the murder part. :D

PowellScooter
11-18-2005, 07:10 AM
r-e-s-p-e-c-t
No thats A R E T H A

Old Texan
11-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Threatening, hitting, yelling and humiliation seem like all methods for the family with a small tool-set of parenting skills. But hey, at least they care and meant no real harm.
Small tool set of parenting skills, I like that but size doesn't matter, it's how the tools are applied.
The lady is a caring mother who stood beside her daughter at the curb and through the lesson communicated her point.
Doesn't matter how big the tool-set, if proper love and communition power the tools.
Example being Jeff Spicoli whose father was known to have huge tool set. But they did no good until Mr. Hand took over. :D :D :D :D

Silver
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Mom of the year!
Good for her!
Cheers
CA Stu
Nice. Sounds solid to me. What a job..being a parent that is. But you only have all but ONCE to do it!

nhbuoy
11-18-2005, 12:27 PM
...That girl, (per the news this am) is getting rave reviews from her teachers since her mother made her wear that sign...The girl is now a model student...I say: nice job mom!!!...