PDA

View Full Version : Grounding

Schiada76
12-11-2002, 10:44 AM
My boat was originally rigged with all the grounds direct to the starter. This just doesn't seem righ to me, can it cause any problems? :confused:

1stepcloser
12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
BradP:
My boat was originally rigged with all the grounds direct to the starter. This just doesn't seem righ to me, can it cause any problems? :confused: I will assume you mean the starter housing.
There would be no real problem with that. In a boat, where there is no metal body as in a car for conducting electricity, all circuits must return to the battery through some type of wire/cable. The engine block assy. becomes the only place to "common" ground circuits at. I personally use the bellhousing studs on each side of the engine to run a ground cable to the front of the boat to a junction block for the accesories. This is (conveniently) where I also have the ground cable for the batteries attaached to.
As long as the starter has a good clean connection to the block, (or battery ground cable) there should be no problem.

MikeF
12-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Ground.....Most important connection in any circuit :D .

cyclone
12-27-2002, 09:33 AM
do you have audio equipment in your boat? this makes a big difference in how your ground should be set up.