PDA

View Full Version : Turn on "pop"

GUGS102
05-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Picked up a new (to us) boat for my dad. It has two cliff designs 4 channel amps and about 15 MA Audio speakers. Problem is the amp remote wire is set to a toggle switch on the dash creating a POP when turned on. The remote wire on the deck is not being used. Should I rewire the amps to have a remote on from the deck.
Would this be a softer turn on instead of a full 12 volt shot straight to the amps?
Thanks in advance.
Gugs

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds to me like the previous owner shorted out the remote wire and fried its output, thus the reason for the toggle. The turn-on pop is probably do to the fact the radio is already on and sending audio signal to the amp when turning on the amp. Also, some of the older amps (Cliff design amps would fit the older category) had problems with turn-on/off pop, so there may not be much you can do about it.

Cole Sanger
05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Does it pop when you flip the toggle before turning on the radio?

GUGS102
05-16-2006, 07:32 AM
I wired the amps to the deck remote and it helped. The deck has a toggle for power and the amp had a toggle for the remote wire. Now when the stereo comes on it also lights the amps. Still have some interference and noise when you adjust the volume on the deck. Have not played with the gains yet maybe they are cranked way up? Sounds good, just needs some tweaking, I think.
I have experience with smaller single amp set ups so I'm OJT on this set up. Like any used boat there are always things to fix, blower and bildge did not work. (incorrect power source)
It also looks like they doubled up on one channel on each amp. Total system is 2 6x9s, 4 6.5" and 2 stand alone tweeters.
They wired it for an addition amp to run a sub and I have one from my old boat, just want to make sure the system is optimized.
Any help/direction appreciated!!
Gugs

h2oski2fast
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I wired the amps to the deck remote and it helped. The deck has a toggle for power and the amp had a toggle for the remote wire. Now when the stereo comes on it also lights the amps. Still have some interference and noise when you adjust the volume on the deck. Have not played with the gains yet maybe they are cranked way up? Sounds good, just needs some tweaking, I think.
I have experience with smaller single amp set ups so I'm OJT on this set up. Like any used boat there are always things to fix, blower and bildge did not work. (incorrect power source)
It also looks like they doubled up on one channel on each amp. Total system is 2 6x9s, 4 6.5" and 2 stand alone tweeters.
They wired it for an addition amp to run a sub and I have one from my old boat, just want to make sure the system is optimized.
Any help/direction appreciated!!
Gugs
Definately a gain issue.

GUGS102
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Deck is a newer pioneer all digital. Just sold another set up that was much nicer, wish I had not I could swap and try it out.

GUGS102
05-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Pulled the deck and ran my Ipod straight to the amps. Corrected all interference issues on volume etc.
Now. The boat has two four channel amps. Each has two sets of inputs and one output. From my singe headphone jack to RCA adapter how should I split the signal to cover all the bases?
Thanks, Gugs